No announcement yet.

Fedora Proposal To Use Cinnamon Desktop By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe what I'm reading... Seriously...

First of all, if anything, Gnome 3 has the easiest way to distribute and install extensions, cross distro. So where the idea that Gnome 3 isn't vanilla and blocks users from customization came from... ?

Also Windows 8 doesn't, whatsoever, ditch the desktop paradigm. It has more keyboard shortcuts than Windows 7. Windows 8 design was intended to bring a converteable, two-faced desktop to computers, regardless of form factor. That includes tablets and smartphones. I've seen Windows 8 installs on OEM PC's boot into desktop mode and include the start screen button, which brings up the old start menu.

Where do people get all these ideas from? Do they realy have the idea that Apple, Microsoft and Gnome are trying to replace multi-monitor desktops with 10inch ARM terminal touchscreens? Realy?

Comment

Originally posted by meltingrobot View Post
      I just read that Gnome is bringing in a Classic Mode in the next release earlier today. Why would Fedora switch from Gnome to a fork that probably breaks some things when F19 will have a Gnome version that has a Classic Mode option for people that want something more like the Gnome 2 style? I am personally looking forward to more improvements to Gnome Shell myself. If I didn't like Gnome Shell though, I wouldn't expect everybody else to have to have to switch to my preferred desktop UI because I'm too lazy to change the default myself...
      So glad somebody already posted this. With Gnome 3.8 actually adressing peoples concerns, I am still waiting for more people to actually start giving them some bloody credit:

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        As for my previous comment about Gnome-shell users being casual, i didn't mean that it is not possible to use it for productivity. Just that it is less effective at it.
        Less effective for you due to your own habit.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          I can't believe what I'm reading... Seriously...

First of all, if anything, Gnome 3 has the easiest way to distribute and install extensions, cross distro. So where the idea that Gnome 3 isn't vanilla and blocks users from customization came from... ?

Also Windows 8 doesn't, whatsoever, ditch the desktop paradigm. It has more keyboard shortcuts than Windows 7. Windows 8 design was intended to bring a converteable, two-faced desktop to computers, regardless of form factor. That includes tablets and smartphones. I've seen Windows 8 installs on OEM PC's boot into desktop mode and include the start screen button, which brings up the old start menu.

Where do people get all these ideas from? Do they realy have the idea that Apple, Microsoft and Gnome are trying to replace multi-monitor desktops with 10inch ARM terminal touchscreens? Realy?
          Actually, they are trying to make a similar move: Not to replace multi-monitor desktop with arm terminal touchscreens of course, but shifting the focus to consumer devices like tablets and smartphones and make desktop an afterthought. This shift in focus is clear for anyone even half-knowledgable of the industry...

You can like Gnome shell all you want. No one says that Gnome Shell isn't a nice GUI for its intended audience. We are simply arguing about its suitability as a workstation GUI. Fedora is not a tablet distro and is definitely NOT a casual desktop usage distro: It is a distro targeted at Power-Users and above and a testbed for Red Hat so its focus should be in productivity, not tablet and all-i-do-is-facebook-and-media kind of usage...

As for Gnome 3 extensions, don't make us laugh, seriously... Most of them are useless and broken. And there are not many to begin with...

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
            Less effective for you due to your own habit.
            There is no sane way to work with multiple Windows in a productive manner. It is not my habbit, it is a failure of GNOME. Just admit it and stop being a fanboi.

Comment

There is no sane way to work with multiple Windows in a productive manner. It is not my habbit, it is a failure of GNOME. Just admit it and stop being a fanboi.
              How do you work with multiple windows in productive manner?

Comment

Oh yes there is. I use Gnome Shell everyday as a graphic/web designer with one hand on keyboard (switching to different workspace) and another with mouse (sometime tablet with stylus).
                If that means being a fanboy, so be it. It also means you have include all Gnome-Shell users with that label.
                Seriously, it is your habit. You are too afraid to admit it and to ask for help or suggestion by blaming GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                  Oh yes there is. I use Gnome Shell everyday as a graphic/web designer with one hand on keyboard (switching to different workspace) and another with mouse (sometime tablet with stylus).
                  If that means being a fanboy, so be it. It also means you have include all Gnome-Shell users with that label.
                  Seriously, it is your habit. You are too afraid to admit it and to ask for help or suggestion by blaming GNOME.
                  Yea habbit is a strong thing. I bet if there were 10 different universes, and each universe had only 1 DE (one had gnome shell, one kde, one ...) all of users would be perfectly happy with their systems. Fortunately, we have choice, so you install what you prefer.
                  Speaking of habbit, how are Windows users productive? I mean their DE is complete and utter shit, and yet they manage to do work. You get used to what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto Dirksen View Post
                    Don't strain yourself. Search for Diet Coda and Codea. This is just the beginning. I have no doubt people will be able to develop apps entirely on a tablet in a few years. Tablets will force software development to advance as well. The post-PC programming languages and tools will be much easier to use than what exists today.
                    Thanks for motivating me... I've got a few android devices, and your post led me to finding AIDE, a Java/Dalvik IDE for Android.

It can import Eclipse projects, handles the full compile/sign/install/run cycle on android, has git integration, and can also integrate with Dropbox.

My tablet should work nicely with this (HDMI out for a full-size monitor, usb host mode for keyboard/mouse).

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      Because the extensions people want to use (classic desktop) have been abandoned. If the classic desktop is making a comeback, that's good for the GNOME users, so thumbs up.

But you got me interested. In KDE, you click "add widgets", followed by "add new widgets", and you get a distro-neutral online browser which will fetch and install whatever extension you want. It's been there for many years and there are hundreds of applets, panels and widgets which can make it look and act any way you want.

In which way is GNOME easier than this?

Comment

Working...
                      X