Fedora Proposal To Use Cinnamon Desktop By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    I know you can install gnome-shell basicly to every distribution somehow... thats not the question,
    The version I highlighted is Gnome 3 in a stock configuration. It's basically de-ubuntu'd. It's not the same as installing gnome-shell ontop of another distro.

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    the question is if you like to stick on a distro where the payed developers will not ever support all that well. And then there are the other reasons to switch away from ubuntu, adware, very few upstream engagement..., musik shop earning percentages (vs the original I think rhytmbox plugin that did generate money for them)... etc the list is long, thats only what I have in mind spontanious there were more... the openess to the blobs, the od amd-love where they get exclusivly drivers earlier etc...
    Well you can't force Canonical to support G3. Personally I think they would be better suited to create extensions in order to provide the Unity look and leave the Compiz+Unity+ who knows behind. It sure as hell would be less work.

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    So then gnome-shell is one point to change to fedora and not to something else its the tipping point for somebody who are not very happy with ubuntu and its dominance...

EDIT: it gets pretty closedsource and proprietary experince... ubuntu one... closed source launchpad... go on... yes they do not break the gpl... but its a bit like organic food from supermarkets its the lowest quality possible with the logo.
    Personally I don't mind Ubuntu's dominance. It's not like they knifed the other distros to get there. They understood that in order for people to move to Linux it required things to basically work out of the box. So they pulled the most stable things from stable and testing and packaged them up with a pretty bow on top. You can't really blame them for giving people what they want. If anything Ubuntu provided the schematic of what a good distro should be for regular people. I doubt you would have Steam without the pull that Canonical brings. The popularity of Gnome 2 was due in large part to Ubuntu as well.

Now Canonical is at the stage (barely) where they are trying to figure out how you can make money off of a distro geared towards desktop users. Of course not a lot of people agree with their approach. When I found out how much data Canonical was collecting via Zeitgeist I damn near pissed myself. But it's my choice to either use regular Ubuntu or switch to something else. I switched to a bare stock version of G3 and it's OK.

That being said I am worried about the future of G3. I currently use it and it's pretty damn good. No, it's not a "tablet OS" whatever that means. No, the basic paradigm of desktop computing isn't ruined. In fact it's cleaner and far more cohesive than G2 ever was. The extensions cover about 90% of the gripes people have with the stock versions of it. Likewise, the kvetching about extensions breaking on upgrade seems to be well... stupid; you know what other programs do this? Firefox and probably a good number of other browsers as well. Drivers do as well. The easiest way to prevent that is to not use the bleeding edge versions of G3. Most of the popular extensions get upgraded usually around the time a newer version of G3 shows up on distro. It's really not a problem for end users.

Now with regards to Fedora I hope they keep the regular version of G3. G3 needs a platform to showcase their improvements and without it they are dead in the water.

Comment

• Originally posted by kaczu View Post

Personally I don't mind Ubuntu's dominance. It's not like they knifed the other distros to get there. They understood that in order for people to move to Linux it required things to basically work out of the box. So they pulled the most stable things from stable and testing and packaged them up with a pretty bow on top. You can't really blame them for giving people what they want. If anything Ubuntu provided the schematic of what a good distro should be for regular people. I doubt you would have Steam without the pull that Canonical brings. The popularity of Gnome 2 was due in large part to Ubuntu as well.
      yes in gnome2 days they did good work, no question about that.

you cant blame em for giving people what they want... if you argue that way you could not blame microsoft for their software. I do that, and nobody wanted to have adware as example. I daubt that, opensuse would be also good enough for regular people... even today some think its better than what ubuntu others. I wrote a article in the german easy linux and they basicly use only kde because gnome is to freeky ^^.

Originally posted by kaczu View Post
      Now Canonical is at the stage (barely) where they are trying to figure out how you can make money off of a distro geared towards desktop users. Of course not a lot of people agree with their approach. When I found out how much data Canonical was collecting via Zeitgeist I damn near pissed myself. But it's my choice to either use regular Ubuntu or switch to something else. I switched to a bare stock version of G3 and it's OK.
      yes ok it is, but somethines you want more than just "ok" ^^

That being said I am worried about the future of G3.
      and who is guilty of that, yes a big part of it canonical, would they have used gnome-shell as default (they could of cause make other tastes netbook edition or tablet edition or whatever) gnome-shell would be default in nearly all distros.
      I currently use it and it's pretty damn good. No, it's not a "tablet OS" whatever that means. No, the basic paradigm of desktop computing isn't ruined. In fact it's cleaner and far more cohesive than G2 ever was. The extensions cover about 90% of the gripes people have with the stock versions of it. Likewise, the kvetching about extensions breaking on upgrade seems to be well... stupid; you know what other programs do this? Firefox and probably a good number of other browsers as well. Drivers do as well. The easiest way to prevent that is to not use the bleeding edge versions of G3. Most of the popular extensions get upgraded usually around the time a newer version of G3 shows up on distro. It's really not a problem for end users.
      I have no problem with it... except I think sometimes awesome-wm is be better, and it could be even more keyboard oriented, and multi-monitor capable like awesome. The problem what I have with awesome-wm and similar is that the powermanagement and such stuff not work always right, even if I start gnome-powermanager or whats the name? I think, or gnome-energy-daemon or whatever ^^ even than not all works perfektly... but thats a gnome-problem I think, if I let the hdmi cable in the laptop and I close it it goes not into sleep mode and in settings I found nothing about that, than in awesome I also have no button to go into sleep manually as backup ^^, but ok a special problem.

Now with regards to Fedora I hope they keep the regular version of G3. G3 needs a platform to showcase their improvements and without it they are dead in the water.
      Agree to that ^^ except they bring a real gnome-os ^^ not just as a marketing term ^^

Comment

• Originally posted by kaczu View Post
        Personally I don't mind Ubuntu's dominance. It's not like they knifed the other distros to get there.
        That is debatable. I don't think there is much question that they timed their release schedules to be shortly before those of other distros, then pulled in the features from other distros first, then did not correct users when they assumed Ubuntu developed said features. I haven't heard it much recently, but there was a while where Ubuntu fans were going on and on about the great Linux stuff Ubuntu developed, when really they had no part whatsoever in the development, it just timed things so it would be first to have the features. Then there was the case where they decided to bury all mentioned of debian deep in their technical documentation so there was no hint to users that Ubuntu was actually based on another distribution. Yeah, you could find a mention of debian six layers deep in the documentation in the 4th paragraph or something like that, but no user would find it unless they were specifically looking for it.

Of course none of those things are illegal, but I know many people did consider those sorts of things being "knifed in the back", since they were intentionally promoting themselves at the expense of the groups actually doing the work.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
          So you refer to a problem most users dont have...

Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies...

Comment

• Originally posted by Nobu
            I don't see why not. They may not have been at first (first you need to write the tools, of course), but after they're working and relatively bug-free there should be nothing stopping you from using them for developing themselves further. In fact, that is IMHO what should be done, as eating your own dog-food is a good way to know whether it needs some extra spice to make it not taste so bad
            Tablets are nice addition for some tasks where use of desktop PC is impractical or inconvenient, like casual reading of books, comics and using as advanced controller in some cases (e.g. DJ-ing and what not) but are not that powerful
            nor are designed (with this in mind) to be desktop PC replacement how marketing morons and some IT journalists are yammering about "post PC era".

Originally posted by kaczu
            that being said I am worried about the future of G3. I currently use it and it's pretty damn good. No, it's not a "tablet OS" whatever that means.
            "Tablet OS", meaning app-centric not task-centric.

Likewise, the kvetching about extensions breaking on upgrade seems to be well... stupid; you know what other programs do this? Firefox and probably a good number of other browsers as well
            You know, Firefox is not DE and I don't expect that extensions for DE breaks on upgrade.

In fact it's cleaner and far more cohesive than G2 ever was.
            DE being largely dependent on GPU acceleration is not OK, fallback mode in GNOME 3 sucks btw.

That being said I am worried about the future of G3.
            GNOME developers are autistic, they don't listen users nor developers (http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8745257437.html), only themselves. They are literally dumbing down some of GNOME apps (they already did that with GNOME 3 as DE for that matter, KDE approach (with Plasma Netbook option) is much better in that regard, concerning tablet like interface) e.g. one of more important part of OS from user point of view, file manager, Nautilus.

Is Nautilus being steered in the right direction, one with simplicity and a focus on core features as its destination? Or are GNOME developers driving the trusty file manager off the edge of a cliff with uncessary changes and feature removals? Share your opinion on our poll.

I used to be GNOME 2 user and I like it very much (more than KDE 3 and 4) but than I took an arrow in the knee with GNOME Shell and Unity.

Fortunately there is MATE, Cinnamon and XFCE. In fact, XFCE thanks to GNOME 3 and Unity (global menu and Unity Dash) mess propably expanded its user base.

Comment

• yep ubuntu sure did hide the debian stuff pretty well

firefox bookmarks

ubuntu
              ubuntu wiki
              launchpad
              Debian (ubuntu is based on debian)
              ubuntu one

black cat lying bitch

In fedora you aren't stuck with the kernel you got on the iso and it updates kernel easily, in ubuntu it's more difficult

so yeah that's one plus

but I won't be touching fedora again after the abortion that was fedora 18

gnome 3.6 is a piece of shit and until they don't realize that, they are going to suck

also needs a better software center UI
              Last edited by Pallidus; 02 March 2013, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                yep ubuntu sure did hide the debian stuff pretty well
                It's good that they decided to add that back after removing it for a while.

Comment

• stop trying to damage reputations

it has always been there in every ubuntu distro I've used

same thing for amazon shit

go to software center remove unity shopping lenses and youube lenses and wtf lenses

" oh but this shit is spyware and it's going to rape my ass like a mountain goat " ffs

you don't like it because YOU DON'T or because it's south african or some racist shit like that

Comment

• Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                    stop trying to damage reputations

it has always been there in every ubuntu distro I've used
                    The the VSC history flat-out says it was removed and then re-added. I think it knows a bit better than you do what has been changed.
                    Last edited by TheBlackCat; 02 March 2013, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X