Xfce 4.12 Desktop Is Moving Along For Release Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    They'll make it in, Fedora 18 will get it too. Fedora does 1 big DE update per release
    I don't really think 18 will get it. I've never seen them do major updates on software after a Fedora release.
    I'm always open to be proved wrong though. It doesn't really matter to me because I always have my Xfce self-compiled (to stay up to date).

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Too bad it didn't transition to GTK3 yet.
      They tested it before 4.10 and found out that it would make xfce slower and consume more memory without adding much value so they decided to stick with gtk2 for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Too bad it didn't transition to GTK3 yet.
        Why? I don't see any reason for switching. GTK3 is a slower than GTK2, which I find totally unacceptable. New toolkit releases should tend to be faster like it's with Qt 4 -> Qt 5.
        So why switching?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
          Why? I don't see any reason for switching. GTK3 is a slower than GTK2, which I find totally unacceptable. New toolkit releases should tend to be faster like it's with Qt 4 -> Qt 5.
          So why switching?
          Oh, I didn't know it was slower.
          My understanding is GTK3 is much more modern with CSS-like support.
          Then it would be nice if everything migrated to GTK3 so we can drop GTK2 instead of run GTK3 and GTK2 side by side.

Comment

I <3 my Xfce.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
              Qt5 is slower than Qt4 in many cases because support for native graphics system was removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                They'll make it in, Fedora 18 will get it too. Fedora does 1 big DE update per release
                Fedora 17 did not ship with Xfce 4.10 even though it was released at a similar time during it's development cycle. What about 4.12 is any different?

Comment

Hm, the move to Gtk3 is sad news? It means crappy themes and broken scrollbars .
                  Also Thunar 1.4 is better than 1.6. The new shortcuts pane wastes vertical space and the reload button is in the wrong place (? la Firefox).

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                    Hm, the move to Gtk3 is sad news? It means crappy themes and broken scrollbars .
                    GTK 3 has lots of great themes.
                    Such as Greybird, Zukini, Zukitwo, eGTK (elementary), etc.

Comment

I must admit many GTK3 applications are looking a bit odd for me at the moment when using other non-Gnome DEs.

Comment

Working...
                      X