10 Year Old KDE Bug Finally Gets Fixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by orzel View Post
    My favourite example is the switch away from corba.
    KDE has never used CORBA.

GNOME used CORBA (in the form of Orbit) for their component model, but that never really took off.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
      How about if the taskbar gets some love too? It's been broken for a long time.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=224447
      Now youre just trolling man, you bring up that same bug report everytime the topicof KDE's stability is questioned. And the answer is ALWAYS the same: that bug is WONTFIX because as of KDE 4.10-- currently in beta, the taskbar is being rewritten in QML so its very likely that bug will go away, and even if it doesnt then the issue will be very different so itll need a new bug report anyway.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
        Woah you're a fast programmer! ^^

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        Yeah, I have a better idea: Just shut up and stop claiming that encouraged FOSS developers release buggy software all the time! Major FOSS projects out there are no more buggy than commercial software. They are probably in the long run less buggy because the devs program what they use themselves.
        Your better idea is being rude and attributing me claims that I haven't made. :\ Though that right that it's what I feel, after 15 years of proprietary and 3 of Linux, I can say I encounter much more bugs and unpolished stuff on libre software.

Comment

Where in the bug thread has it been marked WONTFIX?
          The taskmanager wasn't rewritten for KDE SC 4.10 but it will be for 4.11 so I doubt the bug will be fixed before that; then again anything could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Ovocean View Post
            The Free software community needs a way to gather to pay developers for fixing bugs and developing features that no one is willing to fix/develop on their free time.
            We need a crowdfunding platform specialized in this! I believe it would greatly help the libre ecosystem as whole and offer payed job opportunities for libre software devs.

I don't have the skills nor the time for this these days, only to spread the idea. Hopefully it gets picked up by someone.
            Three words for you.

JOIN THE GAME

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Now youre just trolling man, you bring up that same bug report everytime the topicof KDE's stability is questioned. And the answer is ALWAYS the same: that bug is WONTFIX because as of KDE 4.10-- currently in beta, the taskbar is being rewritten in QML so its very likely that bug will go away, and even if it doesnt then the issue will be very different so itll need a new bug report anyway.
              My answer to that bug is here.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                Three words for you.
                JOIN THE GAME [url removed to avoid post moderation]
                I don't use KDE but when I switch from Ubuntu to Mageia, I'll setup automatic donation to this distro.
                Though, crowdfunding and donating isn't the same. Crowdfunding offers more security: your money is used only if there is enough collected to do the job.

Comment

Where in the bug thread has it been marked WONTFIX?

You're the one trolling, I simply pointed out a bug in KDE and you call me troll? If you have nothing constructive to say just go away and shut the fuck up.
                  Go into the bug report search "QML" every hit you'll get is regards to rewriting the taskbar into QML

http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KD...0_Feature_Plan search "Task Manager" one of the hits is "Port Task Manager to QML" Marked as in progress

Michael's article on KDE 4.10 features: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTIwNTQ One of the listed features listed is "Rewritten task manager" (and btw systray)."

As per arch linux screenshots, because 4.10 has hit kde-unstable, I know that even though its marked as "In progress" it IS in release. Standard KDE procedure is any component that is the in process of being rewritten gets no bugfixes against the "legacy", especially if the new one is ABOUT to be released.

New Task manager IS about to be released in about 2 weeks, thats not even enough time for a 4.9.x bugfix release to be put out. The bug may not officially be marked as "WONTFIX" but its definitely implied by the situation.

If a version of the bug is still present in the new QML version then it may be fixed after that, but until the QML version is released and we see if the bug is still present or not that bug-- for all intents and purposes, is stalled.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by orzel View Post
                    But i'm saying this is far worse here with KDE. Worse than other projects, and worse than in KDE before. This is not just another random "bouh, they did not fix my bug".
                    OK, then please show me one *big project* with the similar size to KDE that has better QA, so that I can see&learn how they are doing. Hint, can't be GNOME, since I have shown you the statistics that they are *even worse* in this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                      As per arch linux screenshots, because 4.10 has hit kde-unstable, I know that even though its marked as "In progress" it IS in release.
                      No, it is not. Sorry.
                      The widgets part of 4.10 which have been ported to QML are:
                      ActivityManager, lcdweather, systemtray, comic, widgetexplorer, pager, weather, battery, konqprofiles, lockout, nowplaying, notifications, printmanager, calculator, konsoleprofiles, notifier

(located in /usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma/packages/ and /usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma/plasmoids/ under openSUSE)

Hopefully 4.11 will finally have a complete port of the taskbar: http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KD...1_Feature_Plan

Comment

Working...
                      X