Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera To Release WebKit-Based Web Browser

Phoronix: Opera To Release WebKit-Based Web Browser

Next month Opera will be rolling out "Opera Ice", a new web-browser for smart-phones and tablets. This mobile Opera browser won't be built on their Presto engine but rather the popular WebKit engine. Initially this WebKit-browser is just targeting the mobile space but it's expected to eventually land on the desktop too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is from the same people that said Facebook would 100% buy Opera a while ago. There is no press release from Opera so take it with a grain of salt.

Comment

I really don't know what to make of this. I've been an Opera user for 13 years. I don't hate WebKit but I was under the impression they were very proud of their engine.

Comment

Too bad their problems with dark themes are in the UI layer, not in the HTML rendering engine.

Comment

im 10 year opera user and i think webkit engine might be a good idea.
          their presto engine is good and all that, but it just doesnt grow with new features fast enough.
          so i think switching to webkit will grant us, opera users, more rapid updates and features to keep up.

lets wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Too bad their problems with dark themes are in the UI layer, not in the HTML rendering engine.
            There's problems with both actually and it's the one thing I hate about Opera but I've managed to make it bearable.

Comment

One less rendering engine is not good for web standards; especially in the mobile space, where people may already be tempted to target webkit instead of standards because of the Android/iPhone dominance.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
                One less rendering engine is not good for web standards; especially in the mobile space, where people may already be tempted to target webkit instead of standards because of the Android/iPhone dominance.
                If you want to port a browser to iOS, WebKit is the only choice.
                Specifically the version of WebKit that Safari is using. That's what Firefox had to do.

Comment

Originally posted by who_me View Post
                  This is from the same people that said Facebook would 100% buy Opera a while ago. There is no press release from Opera so take it with a grain of salt.
                  ...a cup of salt

Comment

Indeed, loosing Opera's rendering engine on both desktop and mobile will be a big blow to web standards.
                    As much as webkit is cool, it is dangerous if it is "the one and only"...

Comment

Working...
                    X