Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amarok 2.7 Fixes 470+ Bugs, 15+ New Features

Phoronix: Amarok 2.7 Fixes 470+ Bugs, 15+ New Features

KDE's Amarok 2.7 music player was released on Friday. This major release to Amarok addresses more than 470 bugs while taking care of 15 feature requests and numerous other ideas to the open-source music player...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Amarok 2.7 Fixes 470+ Bugs, 15+ New Features

KDE's Amarok 2.7 music player was released on Friday. This major release to Amarok addresses more than 470 bugs while taking care of 15 feature requests and numerous other ideas to the open-source music player...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI3ODM
    Yesterday I installed Amarok on a machine, but now with gstreamer as a beckend; a first for me. xine has been dropped and vlc doesn't support an equalizer.

gstreamer works excellent.

Comment

Amarok 2.7.0 hit Arch core.
      Business as usual - I always faced bigger issues with the 2.x.'0' releases.
      Usually it's crashing during scanning my collection on the NFS share.
      This time it just crashes during playback for whatever reason. :/

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
        Yesterday I installed Amarok on a machine, but now with gstreamer as a beckend; a first for me. xine has been dropped and vlc doesn't support an equalizer.
        Sure VLC supports an equalizer. Maybe the Phonon wrapper for VLC does not but VLC itself does (same with Audio CD playback).

Comment

how about stupid dependency of kwallet? that turns on every 5 minutes and turn off ?

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
            how about stupid dependency of kwallet? that turns on every 5 minutes and turn off ?
            No clue about what you mean. The only thing that uses KWallet is custom addons, like the Last.fm scrobbler. But even that asks for the password only once...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              No clue about what you mean. The only thing that uses KWallet is custom addons, like the Last.fm scrobbler. But even that asks for the password only once...
              Depending how he configured KWallet. If he set it up in a way that KWallet closes immediately then it obviously opens again when username and password have to be send again to the server?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                Depending how he configured KWallet. If he set it up in a way that KWallet closes immediately then it obviously opens again when username and password have to be send again to the server?
                I have set it to close every 30 minutes, and Amarok never asks me for the password aside from launch time. A different story is with the Firefox KWallet addon, though.

Comment

I was once a proud user of Amarok 1.x back in the day. It was great.

Then, after the extreme success of KDE 4.0 (if you want to consider emulating Windows Vista as "success"), the KDE developers decided to re-write Amarok from scratch, and thus came the 2.0 release.

It was a pile of crap. The UI was re-designed for the worse. It crashed all the time and was buggier than a cheap NY motel mattress. Many features were removed.

The KDE developers handled the situation by covering their ears and deleting any critical postings on their message boards.

I assume it's all some kind of theme that OS developers want to have the largest user-base possible, by going after the few non-users left out there: The idiots who can't handle the complexity of a two-button mouse. Thus, we have stunning successes like KDE 4, Gnome 3, and Windows 8. Mac OSX, the most "friendly"/dumbed-down OS of them all has even somehow gotten even "friendlier"/dumber over the last few years with releases 10.7 and 10.8. It's like a big race to be "grandma's OS of choice".

I don't even know where I was going with all of this. I just know that they took a great product and then pulled a WinAmp3, and that makes me sad.
                  Last edited by TurbulentToothpick; 21 January 2013, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TurbulentToothpick View Post
                    Then, after the extreme success of KDE 4.0 (if you want to consider emulating Windows Vista as "success"), the KDE developers decided to re-write Amarok from scratch, and thus came the 2.0 release.

It was a pile of crap. The UI was re-designed for the worse. It crashed all the time and was buggier than a cheap NY motel mattress. Many features were removed.

The KDE developers handled the situation by covering their ears
                    One question: Do you actually believe what you wrote?

The Amarok 2.0 release announcement clearly stated:
                    ?It is important to note that Amarok 2.0 is a beginning, not an end. Because of the major changes required, not all features from the 1.4 are in Amarok 2. Many of these missing features, like queueing and filtering in the playlist, will return within a few releases. Other features, such as visualizations and support for portable media players, require improvements in the underlying KDE infrastructure. They will return as KDE4's support improves.?

Comment

Working...
                    X