Direction Of GNOME To Be Discussed Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    I have not had that much trouble with QT applications on Xfce (GTK+). Just needed to force the themes:

So I imagine there is something similar that can be done in reverse.
    No, GTK is not that flexible. The only thing that can be done is to use the same theme for both GTK and Qt. For example, QtCurve or Oxygen.

Comment

No, GTK is not that flexible. The only thing that can be done is to use the same theme for both GTK and Qt. For example, QtCurve or Oxygen.
      I use this, and mainly run KDE. You can easily install gtk themes and pick and chose which one all your gtk apps will use, or use one of the qt themes ported to gtk that come with kde. In the end, I don't think anyone can be really mad at either toolkit - it is just like how Java Swing skins everything its own way and doesn't accept any theming at all. My only gripe is that gtk2 and gtk3 apps can look radically different under the same theme, and aspects of one don't necessarily correlate to the other 1 to 1 all the time, so some themes look fine with gtk2 apps and look like ass in gtk2 or vice versa. That might be a problem with old versions of qt, but I just haven't run into any qt apps not built against 4 anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
        I use this, and mainly run KDE. You can easily install gtk themes and pick and chose which one all your gtk apps will use, or use one of the qt themes ported to gtk that come with kde. In the end, I don't think anyone can be really mad at either toolkit - it is just like how Java Swing skins everything its own way and doesn't accept any theming at all. My only gripe is that gtk2 and gtk3 apps can look radically different under the same theme, and aspects of one don't necessarily correlate to the other 1 to 1 all the time, so some themes look fine with gtk2 apps and look like ass in gtk2 or vice versa. That might be a problem with old versions of qt, but I just haven't run into any qt apps not built against 4 anymore.
        Last time I tried that it made Firefox act strange. It's not as nice as QGtkStyle, which mostly just works fine wherever there isn't an element "lost in translation" somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
          I
          Anyway, you would think with Gnome Legacy on the way a lot of the winging would have died down...
          Think about this expression: empty barrels made a lot of noise.

Comment

I want to clarify the directions the GNOME project is taking, and to explain the rationale for various decisions. My end goal is to make people understand the project better, and trust it again.

See, I don't really care about the rationale behind Gnome3's design decisions. Not sure where "trust" enters into the equation unless it's of the form "Trust us, our way works better" in which case the hubris is both astounding and offensive. Anyway, you didn't lose me as a user because I stopped trusting you. You lost me as a user because the new environment interfered with my workflow and, hence, productivity. Worse, it wasn't clear how to tweak things to feel productive again.

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
              So am I the only one who left KDE 4 for Gnome 3? I'll keep quiet in this flame war then...
              No you are not alone; I'm definately with you.

The reason for that is not because Gnome 3 is better; it is not. In fact; KDE4 is the most advanced, beautiful desktop with top notch functionality and has superb resource management.

So the reason I went with Gnome 3 is simple; I have Attention Deficit Disorder and Gnome 3 strips visual noice and forces me to organize workspaces. With a dual monitor setup and basic tiling, this kicks ass for me.

Gnome 2 was just KDE4 stripped from usefulness, but Gnome 3 is different and just hits the usability sweetspot for me; Windows 7 tiling, expose effect to organize everything (not just windows) and a notification mechanism that doesn't torture my attention.

If I didn't have ADD, I would definately be using KDE4, though.

Comment

Originally posted by developer View Post
                Those preferring KDE, are for a big surprise in KDE 4.10.

The minimize/maximize/close buttons have moved to the left, the window title has moved to the right, and there is a new menu on left, that is vertical like GNOME's.

Personally, I suggest all people that ask me, to use XFCE, until LXDE is finished. Myself am using Lubuntu with LXDE.
                Mmmmm... NO, NO, and NO. You might have used Kubuntu. I'm right now using KDE 4.10 RC3 on Chakra and I see nothing of what you are describing here. And, by the way, everything you said is a DEFAULT option in your distro. If you don't want that, switch your distro, or launch your System Settings app, go to "Workspace Appearance | Window Decoration | Configure Buttons..." and disable "Use custom button positions", or configure your minimize/maximize/close, window title and menu button as you please.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                  The first is video is the uploders personal configuration.

The article is about support for placing your menu as a button in the window decoration, it is not activated as default. And it think it is up to the theme where it is placed if activated. They have also two different sorts of global menus beside the default traditional kde menu. One you can place in the Panel and one independent of the panel.
                  Actually, KDE users have the chance to customize their systems to look like that.

1. The Icon-only Taskbar gets installed with the KDE Plasma Addons package in your distro.
                  2. The weather plasmoid is yaWP, your distro can carry that package too.
                  3. The menu is Lancelot.
                  4. The background is KDE DreamDesktop. You can download it from here: http://www.jarzebski.pl/dreamdesktop...-0.1.0.tar.bz2

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                    Actually, KDE users have the chance to customize their systems to look like that.

1. The Icon-only Taskbar gets installed with the KDE Plasma Addons package in your distro.
                    2. The weather plasmoid is yaWP, your distro can carry that package too.
                    3. The menu is Lancelot.
                    4. The background is KDE DreamDesktop. You can download it from here: http://www.jarzebski.pl/dreamdesktop...-0.1.0.tar.bz2
                    I never heard of lancelot and tried it out. I still just use kickoff for everything. I think that nepomuk is only 2 or so revisions from being as smooth as other system indexers.

I do want to mention IconTasks is a must have, and I hope that kde considers including it in the base set of applets. That applet is magic since it can use the unity specific extensions some applications have for controls.

But yeah, KDE is stupid customizable, and you can get plasma to look like anything.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                      Originally Posted by finalzone View Post
                      Be glad Gnome 3 allows the use of both keyboard and mouse
                      OMG, this is the best, most concise, and most accurate description of the GNOME project's vision.

I, for one, thank them for allowing me to use a mouse AND a keyboard (both!)
                      Quiet, they'll hear you!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X