Direction Of GNOME To Be Discussed Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by developer View Post
    Next thing you'll say is they have a vertical and a horizontal panel together?
    That video just shows a possible customization.
    And while the option for the menu to be put in the window decoration will now be available, you'll have to enable it yourself if you want it ..

Comment

I am not running KDE 4.10, however I found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYJZrHgfjks,

after reading this article:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTI3Mzk
      This video is a very customized setup of KDE not the default at all. He added a panel to the left with one of the various Taskbar plasmoids probably Icontasks, shifted buttons to the left and otherwise. You want to take a look at the default download the openSUSE 12.3 beta, and you'll see it's just the same as before.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
        Nothing in either the article or the video points to any change in the defaults. The positions of the buttons is user configurable as is the position of the menubar. The defauls have not changed and it shouldn't be that hard to understand.
        OK. The menu I saw, is this: http://youtu.be/wYJZrHgfjks?t=3m40s (3 minutes, 40 seconds). If it is not the default, then OK.

Comment

I am not running KDE 4.10, however I found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYJZrHgfjks,

after reading this article:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTI3Mzk
          The first is video is the uploders personal configuration.

The article is about support for placing your menu as a button in the window decoration, it is not activated as default. And it think it is up to the theme where it is placed if activated. They have also two different sorts of global menus beside the default traditional kde menu. One you can place in the Panel and one independent of the panel.

Comment

So am I the only one who left KDE 4 for Gnome 3? I'll keep quiet in this flame war then...

Comment

Originally posted by Goingdown View Post
              It is starting to be usable again. 3.0 and 3.2 were pretty disastrous, unstable and lots of things were not working as they were intended. And notifications system was bad. I did like certain things already, but they just were not ready.

Now, 3.4 did improve situation already a little bit, and 3.6 is now great!

But, there is still room for improvement. I would like to see following things
              - Gnome Tweak tool should be installed in default, and System Settings should integrate it under "Advanced settings"
              - few extensions should be included by default as configurable settings, like - "Always show workspaces", "Alt tab mod - Always show thumbnails", "Activities Configurator" among few others.This would give more configuration options for users. These should be included under "Advanced settings"
              - printer configuration applet does not work properly.
              Totally agree. Tweak tool should be a part of "System Settings".

Gnome 3 is in a quite strage situation: Most (afaik) flexible and customizable architecture with the least UI tools for configuration.
              You can control almost everything with the help of Gnome shell extensions, but you cannot fix any inconvenience without them (say, keyboard layout per window).

I believe UI designers and developers come from different groups.

Comment

No direction

I don't think GNOME have any clear direction.

Maybe some people in the team just did some random crazy things so they could write something fancy about doing UX on their resume.

They forced something on that nobody wanted and alienated a lot of users.

Big companies like Microsoft and Apple throw out millions on inventing stuff, getting it tested, getting user response, etc.
                GNOME doesn't have those resources, yet they still wanted to invent, so they just come up with random untried stuff that nobody really liked and didn't listen to feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I don't think GNOME have any clear direction.

Maybe some people in the team just did some random crazy things so they could write something fancy about doing UX on their resume.

They forced something on that nobody wanted and alienated a lot of users.

Big companies like Microsoft and Apple throw out millions on inventing stuff, getting it tested, getting user response, etc.
                  GNOME doesn't have those resources, yet they still wanted to invent, so they just come up with random untried stuff that nobody really liked and didn't listen to feedback.
                  It doesn't take millions of user feedback loops to know what is and isn't a steaming pile of shit. You just need to use it yourself for a few hours to figure it out. You also don't need a massive R&D department to figure out more efficient ways to create a desktop: can the user do their work faster / with less thinking this way than the old way? Improvement. Does it impede their ability to get stuff done? Regression.

Comment

Of KDE and GNOME

blackbox is the most sophisticated desktop in existence.
                    For that matter, so is WindowMaker. Feature complete and tight as a drum.

note: there were screen shots here but crap my host is messing up.

Flaws with KDE:
                    Oxygen sucks. It's horrendous on the eyes. But you can change it. Also you can increase font sizes.

Flaws with Gnome:
                    I can't change the font by default. Glass Jungle, village, or just garden. Holy Cow!

Comment

Like in other threads about Gnome3, I just want to balance out all the hate and say I really like it. All the negativity held me back from using it, giving me a preconceived opinion, but now I'm happy I did. Look forward to how it develops (like the example with Gnome 2.0 and 2.32). Sure there's Mac envy, but the whole world has that. In my opinion I much much prefer Gnome3 to OSX. The usability and workflow in Gnome3 feels more comfortable for me than OSX, which I have to use some times (no idea about Win8, don't care a bit).

Maybe I'm in the minority with this opinion. I loved Gnome1, hated the early Gnome2, used E16 exclusively for ~6 years, went back to late Gnome2 because of work, tolerated it and then liked it. Now I like working in Gnome3, and actually am a bit excited about it. We're all different, but I must say the hate is getting old.

One thing that will make me scream with anger though, is if Gnome3 removes the ability to use sloppy focus! Can't work without it, and hate OSX for not giving me the option. Please don't copy that, Gnome-devs!

Lastly, I agree TweakTool should be build in, makes no sense it is a separate download. And I use dual monitors, no problem with that (essential for my work, so happy it works like before). Haven't tried 3 monitors though.

Comment

Working...
                      X