KDE 4.10 Desktop Delayed Into February

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
    Really? Addressbook in kmail finally working?
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=259949 (the last comment suggests it is not yet fixed)
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=254126 (do you notice some progress with 4.10?)
    nepomuk/virtuoso not burning down the cpu anymore, when something weird happens while indexing?
    For the first bug, it was reported not working in 4.10 rc1, but the nepomuk fixes were not implemented until 4.10rc2, so I can't really say. The second one isn't even confirmed for 4.9.1 (where there were a lot of fixes), not to mention 4.10, where the indexer has been completely rewritten. As for your last question, one of the goals with the new indexer was to avoid problems when the indexing goes awry.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      I don't use Amarok, I always completely deactivated PulseAudio, and it didn't/doesn't only affect OGG files (I didn't find a pattern or I would've reported it). Seems you're referring to another, similar bug.
      I won't find out in the foreseeable future if ?my? GStreamer bug was fixed or not. I won't switch again just because somebody somewhere thinks that GStreamer is the superior solution as VLC simply works here.
      I really miss xine. Xine plasma backend was the most trouble free solution, it never stop the music like this gstreamer does every now and then after playing some odd files(no matter was it ogg or mp3). Sadly there were no developers to maintain xine backend anymore and xine-lib 2.x broke compability with plasma. Infact I just downgraded plasma and amarok on my main machine(kde mint 13) just for getting good'ol'xine backend to work(only amarok forced me to downgrade whole plasma, every other player worked fine with old xine backend and new plasma).

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
        I really miss xine. Xine plasma backend was the most trouble free solution, it never stop the music like this gstreamer does every now and then after playing some odd files(no matter was it ogg or mp3). Sadly there were no developers to maintain xine backend anymore and xine-lib 2.x broke compability with plasma. Infact I just downgraded plasma and amarok on my main machine(kde mint 13) just for getting good'ol'xine backend to work(only amarok forced me to downgrade whole plasma, every other player worked fine with old xine backend and new plasma).
        Huh? Which problems are there with the VLC back-end?
        The only problem I ever had was when VLC was upgraded to 2.0 and the Phonon (not Plasma) wrapper was not yet updated to be compatible (packaging problem since Phonon-VLC 0.5 was released in advance of VLC 2.0) and the main problem at that time was that I was stuck with the GStreamer POS. >_<

Comment

Huh? Which problems are there with the VLC back-end?
          The only problem I ever had was when VLC was upgraded to 2.0 and the Phonon (not Plasma) wrapper was not yet updated to be compatible (packaging problem since Phonon-VLC 0.5 was released in advance of VLC 2.0) and the main problem at that time was that I was stuck with the GStreamer POS. >_<
          Heh I did not mention anything about vlc. But in mint 13(kde 4.8) it's more useless than gstreamer. Hopefully it's much better on newer versions of kde(I use oss4 though which could have something todo it with too).

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
            Heh I did not mention anything about vlc. But in mint 13(kde 4.8) it's more useless than gstreamer. Hopefully it's much better on newer versions of kde(I use oss4 though which could have something todo it with too).
            Well, you did write that Xine is the most trouble-free which means that every other available back-end (incl. VLC) has problems. ;-)
            I don't know OSS4 from my own experience, I don't know how VLC is configured in Mint, and I don't know which problems VLC has with OSS4 but if I understand Phonon correctly, the back-ends do not output sound by themselves but instead just relay it to Phonon which means that if Phonon works with OSS4, all available back-ends should work the same.

Comment

Well, you did write that Xine is the most trouble-free which means that every other available back-end (incl. VLC) has problems. ;-)
              I don't know OSS4 from my own experience, I don't know how VLC is configured in Mint, and I don't know which problems VLC has with OSS4 but if I understand Phonon correctly, the back-ends do not output sound by themselves but instead just relay it to Phonon which means that if Phonon works with OSS4, all available back-ends should work the same.
              you have it backwards, the audo applications tell phonon to play something, and phonon tell the selected backend to play it (and does some magic with choosing the device, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowBane View Post
                you have it backwards, the audo applications tell phonon to play something, and phonon tell the selected backend to play it (and does some magic with choosing the device, etc.)
                This can't be completely right because then each back-end had to support e.g. PulseAudio. Sure it's not more like Phonon receives decoded audio streams from the back-end and then does the actual playback?

Comment

This can't be completely right because then each back-end had to support e.g. PulseAudio.
                  I'd imagine that it's PulseAudio that supports each back-end, though all the compatibility plugins and such.

Comment

(Reminder to himself Phonon not plasma) Well here is pretty good write up about phonon:
                    Like the previously featured articles on new KDE 4 technologies for Job Processes or SVG Widgets, today we feature the shiny new multimedia technology Phonon. Phonon is designed to take some of the complications out of writing multimedia applications in KDE 4, and ensure that these applications will work on a multitude of platforms and sound architectures. Unfortunately, writing about a sound technology produces very few snazzy screenshots, so instead this week has a few more technical details. Read on for the details.

As I understand it it's kde multimedia player->phonon->phonon-backend-ie-gstreamer->gstreamer->audio drivers(pulse,alsa,oss) so if gstreamer does big changes, then multimedia player does not have to rewrite any code. It's should be corrected in phonon backend level.

Comment

Working...
                    X