Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rekonq 2.0 KDE Web-Browser Brings New Features

Phoronix: Rekonq 2.0 KDE Web-Browser Brings New Features

Rekonq, the lightweight KDE web-browser that's built atop WebKit, has seen its stable 2.0 release this weekend...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Open blog post
    Open screenshot
    See no menu bar
    Close tab

Comment

The wording is a bit misleading. Rekonq already had an incognito mode. I guess they just reworked that into being more chrome-like. Whatever that means.

Comment

Originally posted by pankkake View Post
        Open blog post
        Open screenshot
        See no menu bar
        Close tab
        It looks like Chrome to me. Minimalistic interfaces are the new design trend nowadays and removing options a feature. I have always critisized Windows 8 for removing features, but linux desktops are following the same trend.

Comment

Extensions

Does it support extensions?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Does it support extensions?
            No.
            And that's why chrome can make such a minimal UI: it gives the user the possibility to extend the browser to its needs.
            I also stopped using rekonq some time ago, because it got locked for seconds for no (obvious) reason, and the way too many ads passed the adblock. I am currently using qupzilla+chromium.

Comment

parallelised browser?

Are there any parallelised browsers ? That can use multiple cores to render a page? (Firefox Servo is one such example, but its no more than a prototype currently).

Comment

Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
                Are there any parallelised browsers ? That can use multiple cores to render a page? (Firefox Servo is one such example, but its no more than a prototype currently).
                Why? Do you think rendering a page is so intensive a single CPU core can't handle it alone?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Why? Do you think rendering a page is so intensive a single CPU core can't handle it alone?
                  You clearly haven't used the web in recent years.

Even pages like the current Jamendo and Github go overly JS-happy, and are rather heavy to render because of that. (insert disclaimer how JS engines are likely multithreaded already, and that grandparent should clarify which part he meant)

(insert rant how people who can't code are writing JS, and too much of it too)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Think javascript as well as java applets or scripts running within the page. Using a core to handle the scripts/Java applets/javascript and another to handle the HTML page engine will help render the pages faster

Comment

Working...
                    X