• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Views Expressed Over The Health Of GTK+

Views Expressed Over The Health Of GTK+

Phoronix: Views Expressed Over The Health Of GTK+

After pessimistic views regarding the health of the GTK+ tool-kit project were recently shared on IRC, Alberto Ruiz took it upon himself to create some statistics about the development of this critical component to GNOME to show in fact things aren't entirely bleak...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI2MzY

• funkSTAR
    replied
    Originally posted by JanC View Post
    Themers are designers, not programmers, and the maintenance burden for themers is currently very high, because not only does the way theming works change all the time, but apparently there is also almost zero documentation about those changes.
    Well nobody asks the themers to do the job and gnome does not endorse it. If the themers feel it is such a hard task they shouldnt target 3.x.0 releases but 3.x.1 or 3.x.2. Problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• JanC
    replied
    Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Go read the commit log. The default theme is not some kind of magic code immune to code changes. I would say the maintenance burden from "changes made med the evil gnome-devs" might be real but it is rather light. what we got here is not evil gnome-devs but incompetent "software is hard lets go shopping" themers.
    Themers are designers, not programmers, and the maintenance burden for themers is currently very high, because not only does the way theming works change all the time, but apparently there is also almost zero documentation about those changes.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Go read the commit log. The default theme is not some kind of magic code immune to code changes. I would say the maintenance burden from "changes made med the evil gnome-devs" might be real but it is rather light. what we got here is not evil gnome-devs but incompetent "software is hard lets go shopping" themers. No wonder gnome decided not to support a billion themes since the maintainers arent up for the task. Hell I cant think of any themers actually using the gnome infrastructure to gain maximum support and awareness from the gnome community.

Fuck themers!
    But that's just the thing, "themers" don't have to adjust their work for every point release. GTK+ developers should have the ability to plan ahead and once a major release is out, everything should be set in stone. Point releases can fix bugs and add features, but not change existing API. What the GTK+ developers are doing is poor quality code. The kind that drives developers away.

Leave a comment:

• funkSTAR
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Well, the default theme is probably one of the few that get updated with each release anyway. I think the guy was complaining about third party developers that are left updating their themes for each point release.
    Go read the commit log. The default theme is not some kind of magic code immune to code changes. I would say the maintenance burden from "changes made med the evil gnome-devs" might be real but it is rather light. what we got here is not evil gnome-devs but incompetent "software is hard lets go shopping" themers. No wonder gnome decided not to support a billion themes since the maintainers arent up for the task. Hell I cant think of any themers actually using the gnome infrastructure to gain maximum support and awareness from the gnome community.

Fuck themers!

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    The default theme works great here. Stable and fine. Judging by the few maintenance related git commits and few bug reports I would say you are the incompetent part, not the g-devs.
    https://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cg...hemes-standard
    http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-themes-standard/
    Well, the default theme is probably one of the few that get updated with each release anyway. I think the guy was complaining about third party developers that are left updating their themes for each point release.

Leave a comment:

• Calinou
    replied

Leave a comment:

• funkSTAR
    replied
    Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
    WTF? Stabilize eventually? Without breakage why can't have shiny new things? What a load of shit.

GTK+ 3.0 was released around ~Feb 2011. In 2 days we will be in 2013. That's almost 2 years of constant breakage on every damn release!

You need to intruduce breakage and do a complete overhaul. Totally fine. That's what 3.0 is supposed to be for! 3.0 introduces breakage with 2.x, but the rest of the 3.x serious should not have any more breakage. You should be compatible going forward until several years down the line when you go to 4.x.

Nearly 2 years of breakage, instability and utter lack of documenting the changes is absurd.
    The default theme works great here. Stable and fine. Judging by the few maintenance related git commits and few bug reports I would say you are the incompetent part, not the g-devs.
    https://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cg...hemes-standard
    http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-themes-standard/

Leave a comment:

• n3wu53r
    replied
    Originally posted by srg_13 View Post
    The theme API changes each version? Yawn...

Seriously, it will stabilise eventually. Without these changes, we wouldn't have some of the best features (like the new Cairo stuff and CSS styles). These developers sound like they'd rather hack on a 1990s desktop than actually try and make something the least bit modern.
    WTF? Stabilize eventually? Without breakage why can't have shiny new things? What a load of shit.

GTK+ 3.0 was released around ~Feb 2011. In 2 days we will be in 2013. That's almost 2 years of constant breakage on every damn release!

You need to intruduce breakage and do a complete overhaul. Totally fine. That's what 3.0 is supposed to be for! 3.0 introduces breakage with 2.x, but the rest of the 3.x serious should not have any more breakage. You should be compatible going forward until several years down the line when you go to 4.x.

Nearly 2 years of breakage, instability and utter lack of documenting the changes is absurd.

Leave a comment:

• enrico.tagliavini
    replied
    Oh please support Qt styles with future versions of GTK...... it is so silly to have to use oxygen-gtk to have same look apps.... well or a gtk style on both Qt and gtk...... which is strange in KDE. The opposite is very welcome . And thank you very much to oxygen-gtk authors, they changes my KDE experience, really.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X