Views Expressed Over The Health Of GTK+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    The default theme works great here. Stable and fine. Judging by the few maintenance related git commits and few bug reports I would say you are the incompetent part, not the g-devs.

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-themes-standard/
    Well, the default theme is probably one of the few that get updated with each release anyway. I think the guy was complaining about third party developers that are left updating their themes for each point release.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Well, the default theme is probably one of the few that get updated with each release anyway. I think the guy was complaining about third party developers that are left updating their themes for each point release.
      Go read the commit log. The default theme is not some kind of magic code immune to code changes. I would say the maintenance burden from "changes made med the evil gnome-devs" might be real but it is rather light. what we got here is not evil gnome-devs but incompetent "software is hard lets go shopping" themers. No wonder gnome decided not to support a billion themes since the maintainers arent up for the task. Hell I cant think of any themers actually using the gnome infrastructure to gain maximum support and awareness from the gnome community.

Fuck themers!

Comment

Go read the commit log. The default theme is not some kind of magic code immune to code changes. I would say the maintenance burden from "changes made med the evil gnome-devs" might be real but it is rather light. what we got here is not evil gnome-devs but incompetent "software is hard lets go shopping" themers. No wonder gnome decided not to support a billion themes since the maintainers arent up for the task. Hell I cant think of any themers actually using the gnome infrastructure to gain maximum support and awareness from the gnome community.

Fuck themers!
        But that's just the thing, "themers" don't have to adjust their work for every point release. GTK+ developers should have the ability to plan ahead and once a major release is out, everything should be set in stone. Point releases can fix bugs and add features, but not change existing API. What the GTK+ developers are doing is poor quality code. The kind that drives developers away.

Comment

Go read the commit log. The default theme is not some kind of magic code immune to code changes. I would say the maintenance burden from "changes made med the evil gnome-devs" might be real but it is rather light. what we got here is not evil gnome-devs but incompetent "software is hard lets go shopping" themers.
          Themers are designers, not programmers, and the maintenance burden for themers is currently very high, because not only does the way theming works change all the time, but apparently there is also almost zero documentation about those changes.

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
            Themers are designers, not programmers, and the maintenance burden for themers is currently very high, because not only does the way theming works change all the time, but apparently there is also almost zero documentation about those changes.
            Well nobody asks the themers to do the job and gnome does not endorse it. If the themers feel it is such a hard task they shouldnt target 3.x.0 releases but 3.x.1 or 3.x.2. Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
            X