Views Expressed Over The Health Of GTK+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Nice one. Please uncover any faults made by rhe author if they exist.

Btw congratz to gtk. A healthy and truly free toolkit focused on the linux desktop without any antifeatures like CLA.
    And without features as well.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the links, I like rants, they're often funny and entertaining.

Comment

The theme API changes each version? Yawn...

Seriously, it will stabilise eventually. Without these changes, we wouldn't have some of the best features (like the new Cairo stuff and CSS styles). These developers sound like they'd rather hack on a 1990s desktop than actually try and make something the least bit modern.

Comment

Originally posted by srg_13 View Post

Seriously, it will stabilise eventually. Without these changes, we wouldn't have some of the best features (like the new Cairo stuff and CSS styles). These developers sound like they'd rather hack on a 1990s desktop than actually try and make something the least bit modern.
          How many gtk+ themes have you created/maintained _since_ Gnome 3 was released, exactly? (ie: after CSS, etc was introduced)

Judging by your comment, i am guessing a big fat ZERO... They break themes on every point release, it is hugely annoying for anyone trying to maintain multiple themes (for others to use). Themes often don't break 'gracefully' and your left to figure out what happened... But of course, this not only affects people whom are providing themes, but also end users... Sure, people using a 6month release-cycle distro, probably don't get bitten hard, since they will be re-installing anyway for the next release (unless they dist-upgrade), but for those of us who are using rolling release model - it blows; you update (even if not a gnome user) and your gtk3 apps are borked...

so i don't think we are discussing a 90's desktop vs. a modern one - the 90s desktop doesn't even come into question - ie: it's the modern one that is constantly breaking (and it's been this for what (?) a year and a half of this now (?)... So in terms of stabilizing - it does beg the question ~ When is it going to stablize??? 2yrs, maybe 3yrs?).

I dropped all of my themes and only maintain my own theme, for my own machines. If Gnome hadn't have continued to break theming constantly, i would probably be maintaining 5-6 themes right now :\ So maybe you don't see this as an issue ~ but it is, they need to iron out theming and provide a stable gtk+ that doesn't break on every update.

...and as a side note: ironically, the only theme they maintain / that doesn't break is probably in the top 5 crappiest themes ever conceived of (Adwaita). hilarious.
          Last edited by ninez; 30 December 2012, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
            Checkout Otte's response to Nekohayo's post (given in the subject since this form will not let me paste into it).
            I can find nothing offensive, antagonistic, or hostile about Otte's posts there. As a primary GTK+ maintainer, he said it's not his priority, and did so without any rudeness, in any of the several comments of his on that page. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
              I can find nothing offensive, antagonistic, or hostile about Otte's posts there. As a primary GTK+ maintainer, he said it's not his priority, and did so without any rudeness, in any of the several comments of his on that page. That's it.
              I asked someone else about this and they thought he was being... "unfriendly"... as well. I don't know how you interact with people but I wouldn't go onto another's blog and accuse them of doing things "the Phoronix way". That seemed like it was pretty clearly intended to be an insult (no offense, Michael).

This post sounds a bit like ?Hey look, I ran a simple command that showed things are slow. Why is nobody doing anything about it?!? aka the Phoronix way of talking about software.
              I personally don?t consider my login time anything worth working on. There?s so many more important things to be working on, like for example getting GNOME to run on an iPhone (or at least a Samsung Galaxy) with software that?s superior to what?s running there now. When that?s done, I might look into your performance issues.
              I thought I'd post the above for anyone interested.

What was really funny was that Benjamin then made the completely reasonable argument about developer resources but made the mistake of thinking that everyone else thinks as he does about start-up times. In particular that Jean-Francois wouldn't spend his time getting pitivi to start faster. To which Benjamin found the contrary to be the case.

Comment

Oh please support Qt styles with future versions of GTK...... it is so silly to have to use oxygen-gtk to have same look apps.... well or a gtk style on both Qt and gtk...... which is strange in KDE. The opposite is very welcome . And thank you very much to oxygen-gtk authors, they changes my KDE experience, really.

Comment

Originally posted by srg_13 View Post

WTF? Stabilize eventually? Without breakage why can't have shiny new things? What a load of shit.

GTK+ 3.0 was released around ~Feb 2011. In 2 days we will be in 2013. That's almost 2 years of constant breakage on every damn release!

You need to intruduce breakage and do a complete overhaul. Totally fine. That's what 3.0 is supposed to be for! 3.0 introduces breakage with 2.x, but the rest of the 3.x serious should not have any more breakage. You should be compatible going forward until several years down the line when you go to 4.x.

Nearly 2 years of breakage, instability and utter lack of documenting the changes is absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
                    WTF? Stabilize eventually? Without breakage why can't have shiny new things? What a load of shit.

GTK+ 3.0 was released around ~Feb 2011. In 2 days we will be in 2013. That's almost 2 years of constant breakage on every damn release!

You need to intruduce breakage and do a complete overhaul. Totally fine. That's what 3.0 is supposed to be for! 3.0 introduces breakage with 2.x, but the rest of the 3.x serious should not have any more breakage. You should be compatible going forward until several years down the line when you go to 4.x.

Nearly 2 years of breakage, instability and utter lack of documenting the changes is absurd.
                    The default theme works great here. Stable and fine. Judging by the few maintenance related git commits and few bug reports I would say you are the incompetent part, not the g-devs.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X