No announcement yet.

The Steam Linux Client Is Now Available To Everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening client from the command line and forcing to update from menu helped.
    Thanks!

Comment

I haven't tried the very latest release yet but I hope limbo works soon.

Comment

I tried Steam when it was in closed beta, it was horrible and cluttered up the whole home directory, i went so far as to remove it. Now i decided to try again as it enters public beta, and things are already much better. Nice one Valve, working to make real change happen!

Comment

Well all data is still in your home. Just the default download dir is not longer ~/Steam but ~/.local/share/Steam.

Comment

It follows xdg base dirs now? Nice.

It does not install on Debian AMD64 right now as libwayland0 is not yet properly multiarch, and also libjpeg8 and libpulse0 are named differently in Ubuntu.

Comment

Run my script as root and user then start it.

I can not see what you want with wayland. If you need mesa 9.0.1 as backport ask the irc://irc.freenode.net/#kanotix bot !mesa .

Comment

i don't want wayland, libwayland is just a dependance of libegl1-mesa (which it probably shouldn't be, but that is another issue).

I don't need a messy script that is going to do all kinds of things that I don't need. If libwayland wasn't an issue, I would just use force install to ignore the package name issue and be done.

Comment

So....

Are there still naysayers on here that the Steam client is coming to Linux? LOL

Comment

I just played a bit of teamfortress 2 on linux

I found a few problems.

No sound, watching a vid in steam made the steam gui crash.
                    I could not quit the game, I had to use ctrl alt esc.

I posted the last two issues on the git hub.

Opensuse 12.2 64 bit

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
                      I just played a bit of teamfortress 2 on linux

I found a few problems.

No sound, watching a vid in steam made the steam gui crash.
                      I could not quit the game, I had to use ctrl alt esc.

I posted the last two issues on the git hub.

Opensuse 12.2 64 bit
                      Hmm, I'm guessing that the issue is either the distro, or the sound server in use.

I've been running TF2 on my Ubuntu 12.10 x64 box this afternoon on the r600g driver (Radeon 6850 w/ git mesa/drm + drm-next kernel on the LLVM R600 backend). It could use a good amount of performance optimization (I'm assuming on the part of the driver), but it's running and stable, and my sound is functioning (pulse with motherboard-based audio).

I haven't yet managed to get the flash plugin working, so I haven't been able to watch any trailers in the Steam GUI.

Comment

Working...
                      X