Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment E17 Is Being Released This Friday

Phoronix: Enlightenment E17 Is Being Released This Friday

Everything is set for the long-awaited Enlightenment E17 v1.0 release to happen this Friday, 21 December...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

*gasp*
    It's finally gonna happen!

Comment

Originally posted by tancrackers View Post
      *gasp*
      It's finally gonna happen!
      Yes as it seems.

However it needs quite some work in many places to be "complete". Ie. the file manager needs a lot of love.

Comment

I have never been quite sure of the goal of E17. If someone could enlighten me I would appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
          I have never been quite sure of the goal of E17. If someone could enlighten me I would appreciate it.
          I don't think they'd phrase it quite this way, but it's pretty much "offering the looks and configurability of KDE but with the resource usage of LXDE."

Comment

They've always been an avant-garde desktop shell, very eye-candy and with innovative concepts. Many of the things that are common in modern desktops were first implemented in Enlightenment.

In a awy, it's Rasterman's hobby project, a kind of a perfectionist's playground for cool concepts and really optimised code. Which is why some of their libs found lots of use outside of the project.

It's not their goal to take over the world as the only desktop (tm) like GNOME, but they will always have a small but faithful following. Which is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              It's not their goal to take over the world as the only desktop (tm) like GNOME, but they will always have a small but faithful following. Which is fine.
              The only goal you should have on a DE is to create a usable desktop and not force your workflow to the users.

Enlightenment seems to be missing stuff because the devs have weird workflows and i suspect they don't use anything more than a terminal. Its impossible to miss features like selecting multiple files on the desktop with the mouse (draw a square around them) if you use the desktop as any normal person would. Thats not perfection at least from a user POV.

Comment

Good one =D

--

This future release reminds me when KDE 4.0 were released. It was pretty unstable but the release attracted many testers to catch bugs. I hope this happens with E17 release, it's an eyecandy yet very lightweight window manager. It makes me feel like a hacker by using all those effects jajajja.

Comment

What enlightenment offers to me is the best eye candy and the best performance. It doesn't get much better than this! Sure, it does not have as many native applications as kde or gnome, but the color scheme is neutral enough so that those applications do not look too out of place. And compared to other desktops it doesn't have any extremely annoying features like e.g. the cashew on kde(!!!) or the absence of a shutdown menu entry.

And the new theme looks great in my opinion. I found this screenshot. With those colors Blender will blend very well into it.

Oh, and I'd much rather have the main menu than a rubber band selection when I click on the desktop. I actually disable desktop icons on every window manager because I feel like they clutter up my desktop. But maybe for those people who do use them there should be an option.(like there is an option for a traditional task bar)

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    Enlightenment seems to be missing stuff because the devs have weird workflows and i suspect they don't use anything more than a terminal. Its impossible to miss features like selecting multiple files on the desktop with the mouse (draw a square around them) if you use the desktop as any normal person would. Thats not perfection at least from a user POV.
                    Perhaps there's more of us than just the e17 developers... I have been using Enlightenment e17 extensively and didn't miss this feature at all... Than again, I haven't had any files on the desktop for years, I dislike anything there besides a wallpaper. And... err... I do use the terminal a lot...

LOL... I'm sure it will get added if you file a request for enhancement or, even better, send in a patch if you can...

Other than that, there are some other minor usability tidbits, but all in all, I like e17 a lot. I do still use Nemo as file manager and Gnome Terminal as... well.. a terminal... Not that Terminology is that bad, it's quite good but just isn't finished yet. E17 is not a fully fledged DE, but, IMHO, it doesn't need to be either. The important thing is, what it does, it does quite well.

Just to note, my post count here doesn't reflect this, but I've been using computers for way longer than I'd care to remember... I'm just explaining this to encourage more users to try Enlightenment for at least a day or two. It's honestly worth the time spent. And you might just keep using it...

Comment

Working...
                    X