No announcement yet.

Enlightenment E17 Is Being Released This Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of people mention bugs and stuff. But I'm using an enlightenment SVN checkout from 1,5 years ago.

There are two things that bug me:
    - Filemanager is unreliable/desktop doesn't behave well -> So I use thunar
    - Xrandr applet is not working -> Seems to be reworked in the latest release

I think it crashed twice on me in 1,5 years...

Comment

If someone could enlighten me I would appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by LightDot View Post
        Perhaps there's more of us than just the e17 developers... I have been using Enlightenment e17 extensively and didn't miss this feature at all... Than again, I haven't had any files on the desktop for years, I dislike anything there besides a wallpaper. And... err... I do use the terminal a lot...

LOL... I'm sure it will get added if you file a request for enhancement or, even better, send in a patch if you can...

Other than that, there are some other minor usability tidbits, but all in all, I like e17 a lot. I do still use Nemo as file manager and Gnome Terminal as... well.. a terminal... Not that Terminology is that bad, it's quite good but just isn't finished yet. E17 is not a fully fledged DE, but, IMHO, it doesn't need to be either. The important thing is, what it does, it does quite well.

Just to note, my post count here doesn't reflect this, but I've been using computers for way longer than I'd care to remember... I'm just explaining this to encourage more users to try Enlightenment for at least a day or two. It's honestly worth the time spent. And you might just keep using it...
        I only use files on the desktop on occasion but that doesn't mean that my workflow will suit everybody.

I like E17 very much and i play with it since it went into alpha and with the situation in the Linux DE i want to see it grow because its sane. But i cannot overlook things that are missing.

Comment

Well, I use E17 as a window manager, not as a desktop environment. I've been using it for the last 5 years. I have found it is more configurable than KDE and even OpenBox or Fluxbox, especially in realms of key- edge- and mouse- bindings, window remember settings. The ultimate reason which made me stick is the wonderful "pager" module, which blinks bright red when a window becomes urgent on a different virtual desktop.

The only thing I really missed for a long time was a decent non-bling theme, but then I saw exchange.enlightenment.org about 3 years ago, which helped. Now I stick to the good old clearlooks :P

Comment

Huh, I thought the "Rubber Ducky" was the final release, quickly reading the phoronix announcement of it. The e17 page for it says clearly it's merely a beta.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Huh, I thought the "Rubber Ducky" was the final release, quickly reading the phoronix announcement of it. The e17 page for it says clearly it's merely a beta.
              Well, enlightenment page says e17 is going to be released December 21 and Omega is the last pre-release. Now all they have to do is finish icon theme and fix few more bugs, but they still have time. Bug free software just doesn't exist.
              Last edited by phoen1x; 19 December 2012, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                You installed it??

Comment

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
                  Well, enlightenment page says e17 is going to be released December 21 and Omega is the last pre-release. Now all they have to do is finish icon theme and fix few more bugs, but they still have time. Bug free software just doesn't exist.
                  Didn't they have 12 years to do this? :-P

Comment

i have been following e17 from the alphas and have tried n gits way before

am now on "lucky" and it works good

few bugs affect me like the compositing bug when you fullscreen something then some windows dont appear (like firefox dropdown thing)
                    (the official temporary fix is to unclick "dont composite fullscreen windows")

filemanager has been buggy few years ago, omg level of buggy
                    has been buggy in the betas, like when its making tumbs it crashed or stalled the whole e17
                    now i dont see it happening at all, but i dont use a file manager much tbh

best thing is when it crashes it just reloads as if nothing happened

advanced, light and highly customizable, i like it

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      Didn't they have 12 years to do this? :-P

i think they focused more on EFL, and they changed a lot over the years

Comment

Working...
                      X