KDE Amarok 2.7 Coming Very Soon With New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    LOL you are funny. As someone already stated during the first post; Amarok is such a piece of shit. Draing the CPU while eating RAM and exposing kernel I/O bugs.

AMAROK IS NOONES COMPETItItION BUT EVERYONES LAUGH. I really hope the decreasing number of contributors have the moral to continue to the walk down boulevard of FAIL. Each new release brings more funny shit. And my audio player? It works fine, no need for abstration layers or oversized computers.
    You know, if you didn't make such ridiculous claims, maybe some fool out there might even believe you.

This way, you're just making excellent advertisement for Qt and KDE programs. If you're piling on such bile with no arguments, it is probably good software and you're jealous!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      The VLC player does support MIDI, and quite well. However, the VLC backend does not support it. And well, bugs happen, and they get solved, so I just have to wait until everyone switches to GStreamer 1.0.
      GStreamer had the bug since forever. In case you refer to the same bug I encountered, it's been there since years! Somehow I get the impression that fixing the VLC back-end would happen sooner.
      Maybe it's just a modification as little as adding the MIME type to /usr/share/kde4/services/phononbackends/vlc.desktop (location may vary depending on distribution). You can try it yourself right now.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
        TRANSLATION: "It is here! We made a true savage beast with a horrible UI, of course we did the coding in such a untalented way that it eats all your ressources and is destined to crash. But we added a nice "feature" for you guys suffering from pathological KDe configurism. Go change the backend at will! Due to our complete lack of competence we decided to not to embrace any audio/video framewok so now it is up to you to flip flop between a variety of buggy half assed solutions. And yeah the million bugs you will encounter dont matter shit to us. Add em to our bugzilla so we can laugh at you. And yes the >350mb RSS is all for the lulz."
        Thats the *nix way, it's sort of weird for a Linux enthusiast to be whining about it.

Thanks to this topic I installed Clementine, it seems to be working better than the alternatives for me (I'm running wheezy, so its possible other media players are better when updated). I don't really care much about the RAM/CPU usage, though I'm not sure its really the fault of the player that it can cripple a system by scanning for and playing music, but for arguments sake:-

Code:
        allan@ub3r:~$ top -p  3103

top - 03:13:15 up  1:35,  6 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.14, 0.13
        Tasks:   1 total,   0 running,   1 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
        %Cpu(s):  2.7 us,  0.9 sy,  0.0 ni, 96.2 id,  0.1 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.1 si,  0.0 st
        KiB Mem:  16361996 total,  2881236 used, 13480760 free,    46396 buffers
        KiB Swap:  5105660 total,        0 used,  5105660 free,  1678760 cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S  %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND                                                                                                              
         3103 allan     20   0 1120m 136m  40m S   5.0  0.9   4:32.95 clementine

Comment

Ban funkSTAR

From now on, I will ignore any forum thread with funkSTAR present, because he is such a butthurt asshole in most of his posts and is unnecessarily attacking others in an aggressive manner. A GNOME 3 user that actually considers lack of configurability a feature. Go back to MAC OS X that's built idiot-proof and hence is more suitable for you.

Seriously, look at his posts. The majority of them are 10% opinion and 90% calling names to others. Did KDE kill his cat or something?

Ban him, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded211 View Post
            From now on, I will ignore any forum thread with funkSTAR present, because he is such a butthurt asshole in most of his posts and is unnecessarily attacking others in an aggressive manner. A GNOME 3 user that actually considers lack of configurability a feature. Go back to MAC OS X that's built idiot-proof and hence is more suitable for you.

Seriously, look at his posts. The majority of them are 10% opinion and 90% calling names to others. Did KDE kill his cat or something?

Ban him, please.
            I just have him in my ignore list. It helps a little.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              You know, if you didn't make such ridiculous claims, maybe some fool out there might even believe you.

This way, you're just making excellent advertisement for Qt and KDE programs. If you're piling on such bile with no arguments, it is probably good software and you're jealous!
              Stop feeding the troll.

Note to troll: configurism is not a word, even if it is one of your memes (only one?).

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                I run KDE 4.8.4 on archlinux x86_64, I'm currently using Amarok 2.6.0 with phonon-vlc backend, it works just great. I love it.

Can't wait for Amarok 2.7.
                Kubuntu 12.10 w/ KDE 4.10beta here. Can't think of anything I wanted Amarok to do and it didn't. Fwiw, I only play from local collections as spotify et.al. are not available over here.
                I won't say it's better/worse than other players. With so many options, I'm sure anyone can pick a quarrel with a player or two. Who cares, you're not supposed to like them all. Use whatever you like. You think it uses too much RAM or CPU? Open a bug. Ask for your money back. Get a life.

Comment

Originally posted by talvik View Post
                  I'm going to be a fanboy and troll now... But I really loved Amarok 1. When I was trying Linux Amarok was the reason that made me boot to Linux more and more.
                  Then came Amarok 2, a bug-ridden bloated PoS. Fucking Eclipse IDE has a simpler interface and feels lighter than Amarok 2. When KDE4 came out Amarok devs felt they HAD to use every single component and lib that came with it, they use frickin' plasma lib.

If subjectiv arguments won't convince you, take a look at numbers. Ram, cpu usage, power usage...

Consistently the WORST music player available on Linux.

Clementine has been just released 1.1, it's multi-platform and the closest thing to Amarok 1.

ps: And what use has statistics, if the break the DB every single point release?
                  I used to love amarok myself back in 1. but the new amarok i can't stand.
                  The UI is worse and gives me headaches.
                  I think clementine is way better.

Comment

Actually, I just decided to try out the VLC backend again to see if changing mimetypes would indeed work, and apparently the MIDI issues with the backend have been fixed while I was not looking! That's pretty awesome! It now recognises MIDI files and can play them back, just like GStreamer. The difference being that VLC is using FluidSynth and GStreamer is using Timidity. And I actually like FluidSynth a bit more... Now if only Amarok was to add MIDI files to the music collection.

Comment

I must live in an alternate dimension. Horrible UI? Amarok's UI is my favorite. It's so simple. Sources on one side, playlist on the other. Click on a source and it gets dumped into a playlist. Easy. Though I wish the sources panel was tabbed like in Clementine, instead of hierarchical. It's annoying having to go back to the root menu to switch to internet streams, instead of just tabbing between sources (I'm sure there are people that prefer not having a tab bar taking up space...). But it's not a big deal. I also use phonon-VLC.

Amarok does have problems, but the UI isn't one of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X