Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Still Have A Chance To Share Your Thoughts On GNOME

Phoronix: You Still Have A Chance To Share Your Thoughts On GNOME

What do you think of the GNOME desktop and the recent changes? You have a chance to share your opinions on the GNOME free software project by participating in the 2012 GNOME User Survey...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why always Gnome? There are people out there using other desktops, too!

Comment

Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
      Omly the gnome 2 zombie army will deliver page hits in sufficient volume...

Comment

Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
        It's not always GNOME. When there was no stable release of GNOME3, there were never GNOME surveys on the phoronix site.

It looks like since GNOME 3 is released, it's the most discussed and controversial DE in the Linux community. Nevertheless I agree that there could be other DE surveys on the site too. Would be also interesting to compare those different results, including the number how many voted on each DE.

Comment

me: gnome 3 is terrible and horrible
          linux evangelist: use xmonad, xfce, kde, enlightment, lxde
          me: all of them are terrible
          linux evangelist: w8 sucks too
          me: i can fix ALL of my windows 8 problems with a 5 minute install of start8 or classic shell. the closest thing to that is linux mint and cinnamom which is buggy as hell and the WM crashes every day. that's why i'm using centos of my desktop because I can't tolerate alpha grade software every six months.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
            me: gnome 3 is terrible and horrible
            linux evangelist: use xmonad, xfce, kde, enlightment, lxde
            me: all of them are terrible
            linux evangelist: w8 sucks too
            me: i can fix ALL of my windows 8 problems with a 5 minute install of start8 or classic shell. the closest thing to that is linux mint and cinnamom which is buggy as hell and the WM crashes every day. that's why i'm using centos of my desktop because I can't tolerate alpha grade software every six months.
            Buy a mac. You ll be happy i think. Obviously linux is not for you -and thats fine-

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              Buy a mac. You ll be happy i think. Obviously linux is not for you -and thats fine-
              linux is a kernel. I use kde on a mac and its still the same s***

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                linux is a kernel. I use kde on a mac and its still the same s***
                You don't seem to have a very good understanding of what you're talking about.
                If you're happy with Windows, then continue using Windows. There's no reason for you to post here bashing things when you don't even seem to know what they are.

Wikipedia is your friend.
                Last edited by Ouroboros; 02 December 2012, 05:32 PM.

Comment

The reason the GNOME does not want to be involved is because the person creating the survey didn't do anything with the various feedback he got. One of the criticisms was that it the line of questioning was unlikely to be helpful in finding areas to focus upon. Furthermore, the was strong questioning of bias. Further, the person seems to have issues with GNOME, does not give any impression in trying to be objective or wanting objective results.

After all of the feedback was ignored (pot/kettle :P) and instead it was announced "GNOME foundation" does not want this. That was not the case at all (fortunately, this is all archived across a few GNOME mailing lists). Survey was run on Phoronix, results were unhelpful (various "articles" which consisted of basically a dump of comments/rants, all unsorted, no analysis, etc). Still, the results were called unbiased, despite no real proof on this (just assumptions).

Now you ignore all of that and repeat that disaster again?

Suggest not to lie in Phoronix articles about what I stated above (and I've mentioned this various times before).

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
                    The reason the GNOME does not want to be involved is because the person creating the survey
                    The person creating the survey is known as an annoying troll in many FOSS communities and has been banned from various mailing lists, including desktop-devel-list and arch-general, has been banned by various Linux developers on Google+, and has been called a "f*****g moron" by Linus Torvalds on lkml.

Comment

Working...
                    X