No announcement yet.

Why KDE Is Great For Gaming On The Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ those saying Compositing slows down Game performance... this is what the whole "Ubuntu fixes Unity Redirect fullscreen" news was all about... Games that go full screen present [b]directly[b] (ie, avoid compositing) to the backbuffer. This is mostly likely what Windows does. IDK how Mutter/Muffin/Gala/Xfwm handle this, but even if they don't do it now, there's nothing stopping them from following along.

Also, watch the Wayland presentations. Wayland handles this automatically where any "top-level" window gets dynamically turned into an undirected surface (at least that was my understanding).

Comment

Originally posted by BoTuLoX View Post
      Bro, you dun goofed. They do exactly that. Also, windows does that job (partly) by default.
      I think he was referring to the idea of running games in a window (rather than fullscreened).

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        How is it humanly possible for a user to not have OpenGL support? Is there any sort of video chip in existence these days that can't do 3D?
        The performance hit caused by compositing is very strong, regardless of DE/WM. It's your enemy for gaming, and fullscreen isn't your friend on GNU/Linux (unable to alt-tab in most games, also it hides date/time and other stuff).

Also, "finally available games" is wrong, there are games for GNU/Linux since always...

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
          Yeah they do actually. It's rather well known in the gaming community that you want to turn off Aero for gaming if you want the best framerates.
          This has been benchmarked multiple times. Aero doesn't affect games at all if left enabled. Note that I'm not talking about running them in a window, but rather full screen.

Running a game works like a treat on Windows. On Linux, developers can't even see why fullscreen, exclusive control over the screen is actually useful for games. They think a game is just nethack running in xterm or something. They've come up with countless standards, like notifications, systrays, redundant IPC implementations, but they can't be bothered about a standard for getting fullscreen control for gaming.

Sometimes it's rather hard to tell that they're not actually actively trying to sabotage Linux for gaming.
          Last edited by RealNC; 30 November 2012, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
            Yay. A POWER USER feature to toggle everytime you need a batman kapaaauw. Repetitive micro management of nonsense anti-features ...
            systemsettings has a setting to automatically turn off composition when an application goes full-screen...

I'm still waiting that you name your champ-of-DE.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
              Yay. A POWER USER feature to toggle everytime you need a batman kapaaauw. Repetitive micro management of nonsense anti-features is one of the most universal psychological evidence when someone is f***ed in the head. Hoarding, procrastination, CDO(the way it is meant to be) and pathological KDE configurism is all alike. Good sleep, fatty acids, vegetables, exercise and a sane compositing desktop with the ability to non-compositing/unredirect screens/windows is the only cure.
              No need to get all upset.

You can still use something that's easy enough for you to understand. That's the power of choice -- something for power users, something for grandma checking email.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                With intel ivy bridge drivers the compositing works incredibly well. When I play a fullscreen game on one monitor I have good performance even though the other monitor is still composited. There is one occassion when it gets horribly laggy: When there is an overlay like notifications or the volume indicator when changing the volume, i.e. when the fullscreen game is composited.
                Same on Windows.

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                The performance hit caused by compositing is very strong, regardless of DE/WM. It's your enemy for gaming, and fullscreen isn't your friend on GNU/Linux (unable to alt-tab in most games, also it hides date/time and other stuff).
                Same for MS Windows

Originally posted by gcala View Post
                I'm still waiting that you name your champ-of-DE.
                I guess f**kSTAR uses Windows, 'cause Linux suck sooo bad

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
                  @ those saying Compositing slows down Game performance... this is what the whole "Ubuntu fixes Unity Redirect fullscreen" news was all about... Games that go full screen present [b]directly[b] (ie, avoid compositing) to the backbuffer. This is mostly likely what Windows does. IDK how Mutter/Muffin/Gala/Xfwm handle this, but even if they don't do it now, there's nothing stopping them from following along.
                  Wrong way around there, Mutter had this feature long before Compiz, as did Xfwm and KWin. It is Compiz that is finally joining the party.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
                    actually mutter does the same. i am using gnome shell 3.6 (well at the moment 3.7.2) with mutter and it works fine. i have vsync while on full screen using xbmc.

i tried kde out again 2 weeks ago. i didn't liked it. but what annoyed me the most was that i could get tearing free video playback. well, after a search via goodle i found out how to "fix" kwin for this, though i didn't tried it. i couldn't stand the de anyway. there is absolutely nothing i liked and a lot i dislike and want to get rid of it.

but this is my taste and my needs, except for the not working vsync in fullscreen xbmc. that's a really unaccaptable thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                      Wrong way around there, Mutter had this feature long before Compiz, as did Xfwm and KWin. It is Compiz that is finally joining the party.
                      as i wrote above, for KWIN i couldn't find this working. though i found via google a description how it possible could be done but i didn't bothered to test it.

on mutter it works out of the box since i know mutter.

Comment

Working...
                      X