Why KDE Is Great For Gaming On The Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
    i dont even know what a power user is...

EDIT: wouldn't xinit /path/to/bin give the best performance?
    A power user is appearantly someone who knows how to use graphical tools to set up their system instead of what it used to mean, it used to mean limited programming skills. Today it refers to anyone that can copy a cmake argument.

Comment

I have indeed been playing games in KDE for the Steam beta and it's been bliss. I appreciate the fact it's a powerful modern desktop with the ability to completely switch off compositing and I'm unsure why the others are moving away from that.

Comment

Originally posted by BoTuLoX View Post
        Guys, if you're not gamers, don't take offense, but really, this is no place for you.

Having ANY KIND of compositing running fucks up game performance, and when using windowed games, you NEED to use 2D compositing.
        Yeah, cause gamers on the #1 gaming platform on the PC (MS Windows) do exactly that.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
          Let me translate for you.
          Let me clarify for people like you who don't use kwin and thus don't know anything about its compositing.

"Good news guys. Our compositoring code path suck so much that we need to promote non-compositoring.
          With intel ivy bridge drivers the compositing works incredibly well. When I play a fullscreen game on one monitor I have good performance even though the other monitor is still composited. There is one occassion when it gets horribly laggy: When there is an overlay like notifications or the volume indicator when changing the volume, i.e. when the fullscreen game is composited.

We'll just add yet another switch for you POWER user to adapt to (and waste time toggling).
          The default hotkey is alt+shift+f12 and it has been there for a long time. Probably since KDE 4.0. That might not be very intuitive but it's fast. Otherwise, please tell me how much time you are wasting pressing three keys.

Sure it will add complexity but you will look sooo cool and 1337 in front of the next door geek when beeing a Kool Kid in KDE. BTW we just pushed alot of complexity down to themes and such, but those guys can sure handle it.
          Please clarify what you are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Yeah, cause gamers on the #1 gaming platform on the PC (MS Windows) do exactly that.
            Yeah they do actually. It's rather well known in the gaming community that you want to turn off Aero for gaming if you want the best framerates.

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
              I appreciate the fact it's a powerful modern desktop with the ability to completely switch off compositing and I'm unsure why the others are moving away from that.
              Yay. A POWER USER feature to toggle everytime you need a batman kapaaauw. Repetitive micro management of nonsense anti-features is one of the most universal psychological evidence when someone is f***ed in the head. Hoarding, procrastination, CDO(the way it is meant to be) and pathological KDE configurism is all alike. Good sleep, fatty acids, vegetables, exercise and a sane compositing desktop with the ability to non-compositing/unredirect screens/windows is the only cure.
              Last edited by funkSTAR; 30 November 2012, 04:29 PM.

Comment

It really makes me sick to my stomach when I read about tens of peoples... wasting their time... for a decade... on multiple projects... that... provide some animations to system windows... each in its screwed up way!!! What do we have today, let's see: 2 decades old Xorg with Gnome+Unity+Compiz+whatnot on top. When did the slogan for linux become: obsoleteANDbuggy components? No wonder Lubuntu and CrunchBang got so popular these days. People choose DE's like LXDE not because they have outdated hardware but because they want to taste sanity!

Comment

Yay. A POWER USER feature to toggle everytime you need a batman kapaaauw. Repetitive micro management of nonsense anti-features is one of the most universal psychological evidence when someone is f***ed in the head. Hoarding, procrastination, CDO(the way it is meant to be) and pathological KDE configurism is all alike. Good sleep, fatty acids, vegetables, exercise and a sane compositing desktop with the ability to non-compositing/unredirect screens/windows is the only cure.
                  This is quite funny coming from someone who very clearly has an inferiority complex and is trying to make themselves feel better by shitting over anything they themselves aren't personally using and anyone using it. Seriously I haven't been paying too much attention but I've yet to see you come up with an actual technical argument rather than ad hominem attacks against people and technologies anywhere I've seen you post in this forum.

edit: also.. Is it just me or has there been a massive increase in the number of trolls since that authoritarian bipolar guy claiming he was a soldier showed up a while back?
                  Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 30 November 2012, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Wow this thread is a mess. KDE would be dead without Martin's work over the past years, yet he gets hate for a blog post about changing screen resolutions within games.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      Bro, you dun goofed. They do exactly that. Also, windows does that job (partly) by default.

Comment

Working...
                      X