Why KDE Is Great For Gaming On The Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gcala View Post
    So, let me know which incredible DE/compositor are you using...
    One sane enough to avoid keeping shitty code paths belonging to the last millenium on life support. How about you?

Comment

The problem is that current implementation of unity/gnome force you to maintain compositor ON, and this causes overhead when playing games.
      Thanks for the LOLs. Are the coffee free as well?

Comment

Guys, if you're not gamers, don't take offense, but really, this is no place for you.

Having ANY KIND of compositing running fucks up game performance, and when using windowed games, you NEED to use 2D compositing.

I've tried e17, KDE, Unity, cinnamon, XFCE and LXDE, and I achieve optimal stutterless performance only in e17 and KDE with compositing disabled.

Really, try it out yourself.

Also, Unity with disable compositing on fullscreen, does something, but still is behind all other desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
          One sane enough to avoid keeping shitty code paths belonging to the last millenium on life support. How about you?
          Why don't you have the courage to tell its name?

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
            Ohh you mean the one that created entirely new shitty code paths to make a tear-free experience absolutely impossible for all downstream shells?

Comment

how is this news? how would using kde affect gaming? if the claim is that compositing affects game performance then duh yeh - use lxde or something that doesn't rely on compositing

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
                how is this news?
                Well it is not. It is just a blog post stating some unsubstantiated s***. Then it happens to be what "1337 power users" on phoronix likes. Then we get a BREAKING NEWS within minutes and start clicking the forum. That is how it works. Bonus point; Everything gets stirred up when talking about leaving non-compositing in the dark. The power users go mad and everybody else dont care.

Comment

i dont even know what a power user is...

EDIT: wouldn't xinit /path/to/bin give the best performance?

Comment

Have you read the source? The problem is that current implementation of unity/gnome force you to maintain compositor ON, and this causes overhead when playing games.
                    To an extent - assuming the redirecting works for fullscreen games you should be fine. I mean, that is how Windows does it. It is not like anyone games on that...

With KWin you can manually/automatically disable composition and gain more fps from a game.
                    I can do the same with the Xfce compositor. Or I could use something like LXDE and not worry about composting. This blog post still has a lot of ego to it, especially after his responses to Ryan Gordon and Sam Latinga about their desire to improve game resolution support.

Comment

Havin a fallback mode makes KDE better?

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                      Phoronix: Why KDE Is Great For Gaming On The Linux Desktop

Martin Gr??lin, the well known KWin developer, has written a new blog post explaining why if you're wanting to play Valve's Source Engine games or the other new native Linux games you should be using KDE Plasma...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIzOTI
                      How does fallback modes make my games run faster than on any of my regular desktop enviroments (AmiWM+, TWiN, Awesome, Razor-qt+awesome or sometimes mate)
                      If it is due to comopsiting, why not stop using that shit unteil it is fixed?

Comment

Working...
                      X