GNOME 3.x Will Bring Back Some GNOME 2 Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hubick View Post
    I'm gonna do my best not to swear, as this really infuriates me.

My task as a programmer involves using my Linux workstation and 30" LCD to manage my source code editor (Eclipse), a Firefox window full of tabs for the pages for the site I'm working on editing the code for, likely also Chrome and Opera windows for the same, another browser window full of tabs containing the various reference documentation I need along with Google search results, etc, an Open Office window containing the project requirements document describing the features I'm working on, a gedit window for storing, editing, and copy/pasting code snippets and other stuff I need to remember, and a Pidgin window to my coworker who might be helping me test this stuff.

The only thing the new Gnome Shell encourages - is making my hand hurt from all the extra mousing and clicking I need to do.

(When it was first released, I posted a more detailed review at http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv.../t-263609.html )

I have been surviving inside fallback mode, but, sorry, I think this is too little too late, and I'm going to go find a shell written by people who use their computer as more than a "one window at a time" iPad-like toy.
    Why should they care about a troll like you? I'm sure it exist other environment you can use when Gnome is so bad..

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
      I'm gonna do my best not to swear, as this really infuriates me.

My task as a programmer involves using my Linux workstation and 30" LCD to manage my source code editor (Eclipse), a Firefox window full of tabs for the pages for the site I'm working on editing the code for, likely also Chrome and Opera windows for the same, another browser window full of tabs containing the various reference documentation I need along with Google search results, etc, an Open Office window containing the project requirements document describing the features I'm working on, a gedit window for storing, editing, and copy/pasting code snippets and other stuff I need to remember, and a Pidgin window to my coworker who might be helping me test this stuff.

The only thing the new Gnome Shell encourages - is making my hand hurt from all the extra mousing and clicking I need to do.

(When it was first released, I posted a more detailed review at http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv.../t-263609.html )

I have been surviving inside fallback mode, but, sorry, I think this is too little too late, and I'm going to go find a shell written by people who use their computer as more than a "one window at a time" iPad-like toy.
      Well I think as he says, our workflow isn't really compatible with their vision. They seem to be going with the Chrome-style minimalism since the average user can do just fine with an "iPad-like toy".

I'm a software developer too and use a dual-monitor layout with four workspaces to help layout and organize all the windows and stuff I have up on a regular basis. I've found that Unity is bearable, but crimps a little bit on my abilities. It's about as usable for software development as Windows or OS X. It does some things better, and other things aren't as good. But so far in terms of the best combination of ease-of-use, flexibility, power, and getting-out-of-my-way, it seems like GNOME2 + compiz has been my best experience so far. Despite some glitches and bugs, it just makes it so easy to go back and forth between the types of windows you mention.

I did give the new GNOME Shell about 5-10 mins and scratched my head so often that I just couldn't see how I was going to make it to work for my needs.

Comment

Well, I am a programmer too, and had basically no problem adapting my workflow to Gnome-Shell. So perhaps we can stop the "Gnome-shell is only for stupid normal users". Firstly because normal users are not stupid, and second, because it is not true.

It's amusing t(or sad) o first see all the "omg! Gnome broke my workflow". Then Gnome are going out of their way to restore your workflow, and people are still like "Doesn't matter, you suck Gnome!".
        Stop for two seconds and consider the signals you are sending the developers, and whether you think it will improve your chances to influence the project.

Also, it is quite clear from the comments that most people have not given Gnome-Shell a chance. Which seems strange, because you wouldn't go online and throw shit around if you hadn't given it a try, right guys? Right?
        I mean, the "so much mouse clicking" is simply not true. I am using GS on a laptop and touchpad and if I *had* to use large mouse gestures and lots of clicking to get things done, it would not fly. Fortunately, GS is actually really nice to navigate with keyboard and touchpad.

Comment

I don't understand why people are bitching. Don't like it, don't use it. It's not like windows where you are stuck with one interface.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: GNOME 3.x Will Bring Back Some GNOME 2 Features

Earlier this month it was decided that GNOME 3.8 would get rid of the GNOME Shell Fallback mode used for running the desktop environment in a way similar to the GNOME 2 "classic" environment while also not requiring any 3D GPU/driver configuration. Earlier today there was basically a call for forking the GNOME Classic/Fallback code so it could live on, but now it's been announced that some of the user-interface/experience elements will be brought to the GNOME 3.x world in a manner that's more easy for users to optionally enable...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIzMzY
            Not "but now". It was announced in the same blog posting from "earlier". If Phoronix would actually read what it links to.

Comment

too little, too late

I'd say that this move is too little, too late.

After so many months of bad user interface decisions one really questions whether Gnome developers are reasonable at all. I was a happy Gnome user for 8 years but no more. For me now Gnome is little more than a project wiping itself into oblivion.

Not bitching, just my POV.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                I don't understand why people are bitching. Don't like it, don't use it. It's not like windows where you are stuck with one interface.
                Yeah, xfce is still a sane desktop and you can even run compiz if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  Yeah, xfce is still a sane desktop and you can even run compiz if you want.
                  I used xfce always in a way I use Gnome Shell now. A floating little panel and every application maximized to use the full monitor and a second monitor attached with extended desktop. What always annoyed me was the panel to start applications (which I had to move around to read the content on the screen) and if you have every application maximized, you cannot right click to start applications from the context start-menu.

Now, I always use the full screen and mostly one application per workspace, which I can quickly switch. I can park an application on the external monitor and switch between workspaces on the other etc. For bigger arrangements of windows/application I hit the Windows button and drag/drop the application to the workspace/screen I want to.

So much about workflow...

Comment

Really what is all the fuss about? A simple sudo yum/apt-get install mate-desktop did the trick for me and business as usual. What's the point in trying to modify Gnome 3 when Mate does the job of Gnome 2 perfectly? And add in the fact it only uses 100MB ram compared to the like 700MB Gnome 3 used last time I tried it and that the Gnome developers seem to be taking features away from Nautilus with every release makes you wonder why bother? Leave Gnome for the people that like to be forced to work at a snails pace and carry on using Gnome 2 via Mate

Comment

Is that sick we-won't-let-you-use-applets idea (because they will distract you or sth) still in force ?

For me this is probably the worst thing in G3. I enjoy applets and find them really userful (I'm kind of applet-maniac and I feel good with that).

Comment

Working...
                      X