X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by Vax456 View Post
    I disagree. The Gnome guys have barely any manpower as it is. They should just stick with their current plan.

As is evident by just some the posters here, there are people that like Gnome 3 (including me). For the people that want a more traditional desktop environment that can be tweaked to their personal tastes, there's plenty of others that can do that. The Gnome 3 guys should just cater to the niche they have and the rest can just pick an environment that best suites their needs and tastes.
    Well my problem here is that there are too many people in the OSS crowd that think that the " OSS Developer Is Always Right" no matter how asinine their decisions may be just by virtue of them being an OSS developer, these are the same people that will go after proprietary software companies for their design decisions at the drop of a hat though.

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by finalzone View Post
    How about Gnome-shell exposing the arrogance within the very whining users thinking they are the center universe?
    Those reactions only mean Gnome Shell decision turned out be right after all.
    Yes, because tossing out a working product and wholesale changing the UI paradigm is an absolutely brilliant idea? If this was a paid software package there would be rioting in the streets if it was anyone other then Microsoft doing so.

And yes, the designers aren't some godlike artisan savants that sculpt masterpieces 5 times a day, they are normal people, people that make make mistakes like going "live" with an experimental UI in OSs they knew where going to have to package it by default or switch to KDE and QT, which isn't an option either since that is also a bad move seeing how buggy and resource hungry it is.

Go take a look at every MS OS from Windows 95 through 7, the same UI is there either as the default, available in the display options or just under the surface if you disable the "Themes" service. Mac OS? No major changes from System 6 through OS 9.2.2, going into OS X slight changes but no massive departure from the paradigm.

So again, why should this kind of complete change be acceptable in OSS software? And don't say use "Fallback Mode," they are already going to axe it as we knew they would.

And before you ask again, yes, I've already tried and didn't like the way XFCE or LXDE worked. Mate is now the only good option but may not have the manpower to keep the thing going.

Leave a comment:

• Fenrin
    replied
    overall I think Gnome 3 is a big improvement to Gnome 2, but some things I don't really like:
    • pulseaudio dependency
    • it seems extension maintainer have a bit much hassle to support recent GTK 3 version; maybe to much changes between GTK 3.x versions
    • in Gnome 3.6 apps like Gnote and Liferea lost its icon in the state bar; now it is not even possible to close Liferea properly without taskmanager or kill command
    • Nautilus should order by type again or if not it should at least remember the last order choice

Leave a comment:

• Vax456
    replied
    Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    It's very good that you like it. Now for the others to like it they must add configuration options to make it like we like it. That is all. Don't change the desktop paradigm and expect all is well. Provide us with ways to make it look like we're used to. Why do you think microsoft still provides the classic desktop after all these years even though they keep changing the interface with every version?
    I disagree. The Gnome guys have barely any manpower as it is. They should just stick with their current plan.

As is evident by just some the posters here, there are people that like Gnome 3 (including me). For the people that want a more traditional desktop environment that can be tweaked to their personal tastes, there's plenty of others that can do that. The Gnome 3 guys should just cater to the niche they have and the rest can just pick an environment that best suites their needs and tastes.

Leave a comment:

• finalzone
    replied
    Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    Maybe we actually have a point to make and the Gnome-Shell devs are just to arrogant to accept when they are wrong?
    How about Gnome-shell exposing the arrogance within the very whining users thinking they are the center universe?
    Those reactions only mean Gnome Shell decision turned out be right after all.
    Last edited by finalzone; 15 November 2012, 08:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cbamber85
    replied
    Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Why do you think microsoft still provides the classic desktop after all these years even though they keep changing the interface with every version?
    Keep changing the interface? Apart from rounded edges and transparency, it barely changed between 1995 and 2012.

Leave a comment:

• numasan
    replied
    The GNOME 3 (Shell) hate/FUD is getting old. Stop bitching and use something else - Linux is about choice.

I like using GNOME 3 and don't think it's slower to work in than GNOME 2. It's not perfect but I look forward to see where it's heading the next couple of years. I was reluctant to try GNOME 3 because of all the negative reactions, but now I'm glad I gave it a shot. It feels fresh and I prefer it over OSX (when I have to use that OS...).

Only other thing that makes me cringe besides the haters, are the GNOME 3 "UX designers" attitude. No themes and customizations? "Brand awareness"? Come on...

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    Maybe we actually have a point to make and the Gnome-Shell devs are just to arrogant to accept when they are wrong?
    That's nice, but it may come as a surprise to you to know that not everybody thinks they're wrong. Some of us think Shell is brilliant - it has a few annoyances, but overall it's a big improvement over it's predecessor. And I'd be very unhappy if they decided to change direction and go back to the old panel interface...

Leave a comment:

• cbamber85
    replied
    Well I really like Gnome 3, it really suits the way I work and I find it quite intuitive. I have to use Gnome 2 on a VM for my job, and I don't like it very much, in fact I prefer working on the host OS: Windows 7. It isn't 1998 anymore - UX designers should be trying new bold things.

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Then try gnome on a new laptop. Many have touch displays. Thats mouse+keyboard+touch now. Gnome is not a tablet OS it is an OS fitting 2012.
    I know, and I'd like to try Shell on one, see how well it works. I'm very happy with how it works on a desktop system, but I suspect it would need some changes in order to work well on a device where a keyboard is either unavailable, or at least de-emphasized.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X