Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    GTK 3 is good!
    Except, it uses twice as memory as GTK 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
      ...but at least Mozilla seems to get that with Thunderbird. As far as they are concerned Thunderbird is a finished product, there are no more advancements to be made, all that remains are bug fixes, security updates and platform compatibility updates.
      What? Do you even use Thunderbird? On a modern PC? They stopped developing it because it's precisely very far away from being finished and it would bring back very little benefits (if any) to Mozilla if they did invest more in it. I used to love Thunderbird, but that was when my PC was connected to a 4:3 screen and the best alternative to it was Evolution. It's a pathetic experience on 16:9 screens, not to mention all the plugins and extras (that tend to break a lot between versions) that are required to implement some functionality that is present in other decent email clients (like calendar, google sync, conversation view, etc). Most software is never "finished". If development stops it usually means something is wrong or people have moved on to other alternatives or technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
        It's a pathetic experience on 16:9 screens
        Current TB has good support for wide screen.

Comment

What a waste of bandwidth. Why not having a survey on Linux desktops in general?

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
            What? Do you even use Thunderbird? On a modern PC? They stopped developing it because it's precisely very far away from being finished and it would bring back very little benefits (if any) to Mozilla if they did invest more in it. I used to love Thunderbird, but that was when my PC was connected to a 4:3 screen and the best alternative to it was Evolution. It's a pathetic experience on 16:9 screens, not to mention all the plugins and extras (that tend to break a lot between versions) that are required to implement some functionality that is present in other decent email clients (like calendar, google sync, conversation view, etc). Most software is never "finished". If development stops it usually means something is wrong or people have moved on to other alternatives or technologies.
            Uh, have you? I use Thunderbird daily on on Windows 7 and Linux Mint 13 @ 1600x900, 1366x768 and 1600x1200. It works perfectly for my needs managing 8 email addresses.

The addons are why it's a finished product, you add in only the functionality that you need and don't add in the bloat you don't. Adding every possible feature to a single application is a recipe for a total and complete disaster.

Comment

working with multiple windows in gnome shell

Can some who knows how to use the gnome shell let me know how to work with multiple windows at the same time? For example I am watching a stream in a browser and taking notes in a vim. Is this possible in the gnome shell?

Comment

Originally posted by rmic View Post
                Can some who knows how to use the gnome shell let me know how to work with multiple windows at the same time? For example I am watching a stream in a browser and taking notes in a vim. Is this possible in the gnome shell?
                ofc that's possible in gnome shell. Every normal window in Gnome has the "Always on Top" feature which apart from Windows DE's probably almost any modern DE has.

You can drag and resize windows via your mouse. Or via shortcuts. The super key with arrow key is the default. If you want to change this setting: open dconf Editor below org → gnome → mutter → keybindings
                Workspace settings and other settings are below org → gnome → mutter.

As notes taking app gnote is currently my favourite.

Comment

Originally posted by rmic View Post
                  If you drag the window to the side of the screen, it will offer to use up exact half the screen. Do that with the video and vim, then each has exact 50%.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                    This will never count as feedback.
                    I know, because gnome devs don't want to hear what their users think (good or bad). All they want is bug reports. It has nothing to do with hate or yellow journalism. It has everything to do with gnome devs not being open to suggestion.

Comment

working with multiple windows in gnome shell

Thanks for both suggestions, browser with the stream will take most of the screen, so I guess Always on Top for the vim window will suit my use case.

Comment

Working...
                      X