Skype 4.1 For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
    will the 32bit opensuse rpm work on a 64 bit opensuse install?
    Yes, but it will pull a lot of -32bit packages (libqt4 etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Oh there is no illusion that they contribute with a vested interest but that could be said of any contributor. Redhat contrributes for the benefit of their product, as does AMD, as to individuals who own that product, etc.
      MS code in kernel is useful only to people that use Microstof virtualisation or run Windows virtualised. Valve contributions to Linux kernel are more significant to Joe Random User.

Skype is basically their only (if not first...) native application visible to average Linux user. Even the advertised as highly portable* Silverlight isn't... (Moonshine^W Moonlight does not support DRM)

* - That does not run at all on Windows XP 64bit, Windows Server 2003 and probably few others...

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
        Valve contributions to Linux kernel are more significant to Joe Random User.
        I am sure you are about to provide us links to the tons of significant commits made by Valve ... oh wait there are none. *facepalm*

Comment

Originally posted by balta View Post
          Yes, but it will pull a lot of -32bit packages (libqt4 etc.)
          cheers.

hopefully we'll have a 64 bit version in time for opensuse 12.3 in march.

Comment

Originally posted by aironeous View Post
            Wow really? Why would they do this when they are at proxy war with linux all the time? Is this some sort of effort to eventually get MS code into linux?
            If it brings money (and skype does), why not?

Comment

aside from the little war about architectures, package formats and steam, this is the first way to natively use msn on desktop linux without breaking microsoft's terms of use, isn't it?

Comment

Speaking of WLM integration, I just read why they are doing it:
                Stay up to date on Skype news. The latest features and video call technology keeping you connected with the people that matter most. 

Welp. If they are going to close WLM next year, then the MSN protocol will probably cease to function. And while the idea of merging the contacts of both Skype and WLM into one program is certainly good, I'd much rather the program was Pidgin and not Skype. As it is, I'll have to use MSN -> Skype -> Pidgin instead of MSN -> Pidgin now.

But at least this issue can wait until around openSUSE 12.3 gets released or so.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  Speaking of WLM integration, I just read why they are doing it:
                  Stay up to date on Skype news. The latest features and video call technology keeping you connected with the people that matter most. 

Welp. If they are going to close WLM next year, then the MSN protocol will probably cease to function. And while the idea of merging the contacts of both Skype and WLM into one program is certainly good, I'd much rather the program was Pidgin and not Skype. As it is, I'll have to use MSN -> Skype -> Pidgin instead of MSN -> Pidgin now.

But at least this issue can wait until around openSUSE 12.3 gets released or so.
                  Actually, you probably will not. Pidgin does not support Skype, and does not plan to due to legal issues:

So, Microsoft recently announced that they’ll terminate the Windows Live Messenger service in favor of Skype in early 2013.  We’ve been get...

Comment

It would seem that they forgot to fire the kid building Linux packages. This sometimes happens with lethargic bloated dying organizations like MS. It is going to be quite a while longer before they admit to having LOST to Linux.

Its kind of funny, since they're being FLATTENED by Linux. Linux (in the form of Android) has exceeded a 75% global market share in the smartphone arena. Smartphones, of course, outsell desktop/laptop computers by a pretty substantial margin. 3:1? 4:1?

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
                      Actually, you probably will not. Pidgin does not support Skype, and does not plan to due to legal issues:
                      Except I'm using it right now as we speak. What they are saying is that they can't support it as a standalone protocol. But it's already supported via an integration package, through both X11 and DBus protocols, when the Skype client is running in the background ("silent mode"). It's less than ideal, and for some people most likely pointless, but personally I'd rather use a single interface than two separate ones.

Comment

Working...
                      X