Features Coming In For The GNOME 3.8 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    KDE software is for intelligent people. If you are confused with options, don't use it.
    Just because someone doesn't wish to be overwhelmed with dozens of irrelevant options doesn't mean someone is stupid.

Good software follows the principle of KISS (Keep it simple stupid).

Which one? Too stupid to tell which one you were using? Kickoff, Classic, Lancelot, Homerun, Rosa Launcher?![/QUOTE]

I don't know.
    The default start menu in KDE 4.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Good software follows the principle of KISS (Keep it simple stupid).
      This is your opinion. Different people have different needs. If you don't like X use Y.

Comment

Just because someone doesn't wish to be overwhelmed with dozens of irrelevant options doesn't mean someone is stupid.
        Usually grown-up people who can only count to 5 are considered stupid.

You want to go to Windows. Just do that. Leave people who are very fine with current DE options (incl. GNOME Shell and Plasma Desktop) alone.
        Bye!

Comment

Which one? Too stupid to tell which one you were using? Kickoff, Classic, Lancelot, Homerun, Rosa Launcher?!
          I don't know.
          The default start menu in KDE 4.
          Well, intelligent people know what they use. What the default is, is up to the distributor.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Well, intelligent people know what they use. What the default is, is up to the distributor.
            Whatever comes with Ubuntu / Kubuntu.

Linux is never going to get the desktop.

Comment

What extension?
              KDE has too many buttons in the toolbar. Too many entries in the menu. I right-click and get presented with a context menu and it has too many options.
              I believe it should make some assumptions and have more saner defaults.

I haven't heard about Lancelot.
              Take away the stuff in the tool bar you don't like or take away the complete tool bar. But I don't think many program has to many tools in the tool bar as default today.

The context menu is dependent on the context but the plasma-desktop has 6 alternative. If I compare Kate and with the gnome equivalent Gedit, kate has 11 alternative in the context menu and gedit has 9 (booth without sub menus). I dont think that is a huge difference.

To add another start menu choose "Add widgets" in the context menu in plasma desktop and choose the application launcher filter to only see your application launchers you have installed.

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
                Fun Fact:
                In 3.2 we had LogOut and ShutDown in the menu
                In 3.4 they dropped shutdown from the menu -> ShutDown extension
                In 3.6 they added ShutDown to the menu but dropped LogOut (if single user machine) -> LogOut extension
                In 3.8 they add/drop ?!? to/from the menu
                System Settings will be renamed to Settings..

Comment

Frame synchronization support for GTK+ and the Mutter compositor

What does it mean "Frame synchronization support for GTK+ and the Mutter compositor"? It's the function, which can prevent tearing like in compiz in Ubuntu? (i can't see any tearing in Unity 3D, despite Sandybridge will have no tearing prevention until linux 3.8)

Comment

It gets worse...

Gnome is leaning on GTK application authors to drop features - wilfully ignoring the effect this may have on other desktop environements.

transmission 'enhancement' request

The arrogance is shown by the "And I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry. "

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post
                      What does it mean "Frame synchronization support for GTK+ and the Mutter compositor"? It's the function, which can prevent tearing like in compiz in Ubuntu? (i can't see any tearing in Unity 3D, despite Sandybridge will have no tearing prevention until linux 3.8)
                      Gtk and mutter would share the same paint clock.This will help with partially drawn windows by letting mutter know that the new frame isn't ready yet. It should also help improve performance.
                      The work would be somewhat akin to the what was done in Android 4.1with making all drawing components aware of the refresh clock.

Comment

Working...
                      X