Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setlec
    replied
    I've been following the lightworks project and discussing on their forums about the source code and such. They have a roadmap and they are focussing atm to port lightwork to linux then to MacOSx according to some employees they are getting some big difficulties since their source code entirely windows APIs dependent forcing them to rewrite most of the code. With millions of lines of code and 20ish years dependent on MS shit it ain't a easy thing to do.

Leave a comment:

• ninez
    replied
    Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    These nutjobs want a replacement for Final Cut Pro (which Lightworks isn't and won't be as it is useless without their hardware) not a dedicated solution for a Hollywood Studio.
    Where do you get this notion that Lightworks is 'useless without their hardware', exactly?

I'm running Lightworks right now in both Ubuntu and Archlinux. The test machine has an nvidia card, Phenom II x4, 8gig of ram ~ which is nothing crazy, so i don't see why i would need their hardware. You can do most things with a keybaord, so that doesn't slow you down and aside from (currently) disabled features, and the odd (known) quirky behavior, LW runs quite nice...

It's crashed twice on me, both times i wasn't able to reproduce the behavior - but already in the 2nd alpha release/download bugs have been fixed.

I think that gnome-dev is wasting his breath. Lightworks is going to be great for users and of benefit as a whole. for chose whom want/need some of the licensed codecs/plugins - they are free to upgrade. ie: lightworks is not crippled in that way... The code is supposed to be eventually opened, so let's let most of the common bugs worked out and have LW hit the masses - may be once there is a stable release, the source code will follow. after all, it's still early in the the alpha (even if LW has been talked about for the last couple of years)...

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by gbudny View Post
    Piranha 7 is available for Linux and Mac OS X
    Piranha 7 for Linux and MacOSX
    now available at

US $995
    These nutjobs want a replacement for Final Cut Pro (which Lightworks isn't and won't be as it is useless without their hardware) not a dedicated solution for a Hollywood Studio.

Leave a comment:

• Elv13
    replied
    Cinelerra is still the only professional OSS video editor. Jashaka was also there for a while, but died of. The problem with Cinelerra(-cv) always have been suspicious code origin and total lack of any form of stability. It simply always crash after a few minutes. Too bad it was mostly feature complete to compete with pseudo-professional apps.

KDenLive is currently the best hope. Their current under the hood push to turn the amateur codebase into a future proof one is a clean sign that they have long term plans to be competitive. They also recently added a lot of advanced features like color-space based advanced color management and object tracking for layer synchronization.

Leave a comment:

• Del_
    replied
    I have used kdenlive for my editing needs, and I would like to know exactly why I should use anything else. Maybe somebody can shed light on what it is that I am missing out on?

For those who haven't looked at kdenlive, have a look here for a three part tutorial which gets you started in no time:
    GNU/Linux has infamously been wanting for a good, solid, professional-level free video editor for years. There have been glimpses of hope here and there, but mostly the editors that have the look and feel of a professional application are prone to blockbuster-worthy crashes, and those that have been stable have mostly been stable because they don't actually do anything beyond very basic editing. Kdenlive changes all of that.

Leave a comment:

• hosh-blot
    replied
    Seriously its not even released yet, after its released and then its not as open as It should be then complain not before, It would take along time to comb through millions of lines to make sure its sutable for release as a open project.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    I've been using Kdenlive for a while now, and I really like it. It's much better than some of the proprietary editors, too. And yes, it's also not available on Windows

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    The only FOSS video editor project that seems to have some potential is novacut.

Leave a comment:

• wargames
    replied
    No one talks about Blender sequencer ? It's by far better than Pitivi, Openshot and all the others.

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    So a pitivi dev complains that a competing technology that is much more capable than that sorry pitivi shit is coming to make them obsolete. And we should listend to him of course. C'mon admit it pitivi doesn't work and doesn't do what you want it to. It's so bad that even if that lightworks never gets open sourced it's still good for linux. Stop being so butthurt with that they are not good for the community shit! You had your time, you had your chances and you blew it by being incompetents and unable to write a fucking application in 10 years.
    You of course are a developer of *some* successful opensource project and that's why you are throwing 8055 advices, ha?!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X