GNOME 3.8 Is Dropping Its Fallback Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matyas View Post
    I've found both LXDE and XFCE wonderful alternatives. They feel polished, (fairly) minimalistic, usable and mature. Both are properly customizable. I was a Gnome user before, tried to get used to Unity really hard, but after trying to switch between 6 xterms (or 3 IntelliJ windows) I gave up.
    I found LXDE super usable and it feels really nice to be 1 click away from anything (launch icons in taskbar + task list).
    While I'm not a fan of either, Xfce 4.x is a Gnome 2.x clone anyway. It makes no sense to develop Fallback Mode when Xfce 4.x exists.

Comment

Couldn't care less, so they can concentrate on the proper UI

Gnome3 is one of the best desktops I used so far, next best would be any of the tiling WM. Maybe we get tiling support in some future release as well (I know there are tiling extensions but they are not working automatic).

Comment

Gnome3 and Unity is really a kindergarten I'm glad to be a KDE user!

And the funny part is the best argument for KDE isn't any feature of KDE its just the other Desktops and there behaviour what makes KDE the best solution.

Gnome3/Unity people really act like child?s.

Comment

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
          Gnome3 and Unity is really a kindergarten I'm glad to be a KDE user!

And the funny part is the best argument for KDE isn't any feature of KDE its just the other Desktops and there behaviour what makes KDE the best solution.

Gnome3/Unity people really act like child?s.
          Not the users act like children, there is a certain trend to run around in forums and say bad things about Gnome3 especially if you don't use it. Unity has little to do with Gnome3 except that both use 3D features, I cannot say much about it anyway, only used it from some livecd once. What I saw of Unity, it has some launcher and some search field for applications and documents (oh how wonderful, you now also get Amazon commercial results in the desktop search on Ubuntu).

Comment

Fantastic news!

At the rate they are removing things Gnome3 Shell will disappear into a singularity pretty soon hehehe

This is great news, the less people use this pathetic wannabee phone screen desktop the better for all us.
            Keep it up Gnome dev's! All two of you! Honestly, you're doing us all a big favour!

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
              Not the users act like children, there is a certain trend to run around in forums and say bad things about Gnome3 especially if you don't use it. Unity has little to do with Gnome3 except that both use 3D features, I cannot say much about it anyway, only used it from some livecd once. What I saw of Unity, it has some launcher and some search field for applications and documents (oh how wonderful, you now also get Amazon commercial results in the desktop search on Ubuntu).
              You don't have to use gnome3/unity to watch the acting of the people who do make this stuff and people who do use this stuff.
              And from a outsider point of view they are a big kindergarten...
              KDE thats professional to not force people into a bad/slow solution for there outdated/ultra low power hardware.
              Yes i don't write only "Outdated" because ultra low power computers are a modern green solution.

Comment

Originally posted by matyas View Post
                I've found both LXDE and XFCE wonderful alternatives. They feel polished, (fairly) minimalistic, usable and mature. Both are properly customizable. I was a Gnome user before, tried to get used to Unity really hard, but after trying to switch between 6 xterms (or 3 IntelliJ windows) I gave up.
                I found LXDE super usable and it feels really nice to be 1 click away from anything (launch icons in taskbar + task list).
                I argee with the LXDE endorsement it's simple and productive.

Also Mate isn't bad at all, at least I haven't ran into any problems using it.

XFCE is nice and has a pretty expansive set of utilities and add-ons.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                  Just read the article, thanks.

A few very enlightening quotes:

Fuck you GNOME 3
                  I can't understand all of the article - for example those rekonq remarks. People actually use that? And if they use that and don't like the lack of options, why don't they switch to konqueror, where they have all the freedoms?

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
                    who started it? gnome users. Since the first line of gnome code was created, gnome users festered in kde threads attacking, trolling and being just as obnoxious as they can. Just look back at KDE 4.0.

But a KDE user just voicing a tiny bit of well deserved criticism in a gnome thread? Scandalous! Go away! You have no right to post here.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                      I can't understand all of the article - for example those rekonq remarks. People actually use that? And if they use that and don't like the lack of options, why don't they switch to konqueror, where they have all the freedoms?
                      so like one could apply that to gnome3 too: "why don't they switch to XFCE/KDE/etc, where they have all the freedoms?"

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      While I'm not a fan of either, Xfce 4.x is a Gnome 2.x clone anyway. It makes no sense to develop Fallback Mode when Xfce 4.x exists.
                      In the words of Gnome3 dev William Jon McCann: "I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry."

Comment

Working...
                      X