Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
    Or you could just hit alt-tab...
    That's what i do but that's not an excuse for a clear regression for mouse users.
    Android has an interesting flowchart which is supposed to help developers make good UI/UX decisions.

developer.android.com/design/media/settings_flowchart.png

Especially consider 3-yes, fixed behaviors causing harm to the "minority".
    So, design for the 80%, but don't alienate the rest.
    UI is really hard.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
      That's what i do but that's not an excuse for a clear regression for mouse users.
      Android has an interesting flowchart which is supposed to help developers make good UI/UX decisions.

UI is really hard.
      As I understand it, the GNOME team's approach is that you can make an interface that's efficient, or one that's discoverable, but it's very difficult to do both. So their basic concept is that they kind of have two interfaces: the touch/mouse workflow is discoverable but not efficient, and the keyboard workflow is efficient but not discoverable. You can pick either (or, of course, combine elements of the two). As you say, UI is really hard, and much easier to criticize than it is to do.

Comment

This was the commercial that introduced the Apple Macintosh Computer to the world.(This video was uploaded a couple of weeks after the official public launch...

It's 1984 all over again... walled gardens ... w a l l e d g a r d e n s............

1 being 1 resolve 1 click .... we shall B A I L!

Comment

Is it really? I find that sweeping the mouse up the left corner and then clicking a big window is at least as fast as trying to pinpoint a tiny area in the bottom of the screen. Sure, there is an extra movement (not click), but now there is no need for precision. "Point and click" has become "Flick and click", and feels totally natural for me.

So much in fact, that I get annoyed in Windows 7 where the aforementioned technique does not work
          Last edited by kigurai; 18 November 2012, 09:54 AM. Reason: Where did all those extra words come from?

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
            Well, there is the official Ubuntu Gnome spin:

It's a pretty raw Gnome experience, so it doesn't feel like an Ubuntu "experience" at install. For example, there is no Software Center, Firefox, or Ubuntu One installed by default. Instead you get Epiphany, Packagekit Gnome, etc. installed by default. If you want the standard Ubuntu application set, they're in the repos of course.
            oh...thanks

Comment

UI is really hard.
              I fail to see how the flowchart in your link has anything to do with alt-tabbing. Your link is about settings. Your complain about application changing is about failing to see that the way it was done before was wrong in the first place.

Comment

Working...
              X