KDE 4.9.3 November Update Fixes 86 Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    You can argue over what programs are good and why they were made but it doesn't change the fact that if the core KDE devs keep dividing their attention like that, nothing will turn out good enough. I have no problem about their motives or intentions, the problem is their priorities and timing.
    Well, quite a few things turned out to be good enough: Digikam, K3b, Amarok. All of these benefitted from having KDE libraries at their disposal, and were (arguably still are) best-in-class applications.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      Well, quite a few things turned out to be good enough: Digikam, K3b, Amarok. All of these benefitted from having KDE libraries at their disposal, and were (arguably still are) best-in-class applications.
      And konversation ! ;-)
      (but amarok sucks, doesn't it ?)

Comment

Originally posted by orzel View Post
        (but amarok sucks, doesn't it ?)
        Nope, I've never understood the hate. I like Amarok 2, and I also liked Amarok 1.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          You can get rid of it. I don't have it installed on my system and KDE is built without it.
          I don't have it installed, too. Nepomuk, akonadi (soprano, etc.) and all that crap - recompiling time pays off.

Comment

compared to the huge articles whenever some gnomer farts in the wrong direction this 'article' is just pathetic. Thanks Michael for once again reminding me why I do not pay but instead look at shiny ads.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
              compared to the huge articles whenever some gnomer farts in the wrong direction this 'article' is just pathetic. Thanks Michael for once again reminding me why I do not pay but instead look at shiny ads.
              It's a minor bug fix release. What should he write a longer article about?

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                It's a minor bug fix release. What should he write a longer article about?
                compare the kde 4.9.3 article with the gnome 3.5.3 article. Just for fun.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  Digikam has been glitchy up until the past year, and k3b has been around so long it's actually the oldest program I remember, so it had time to mature. On top of that, k3b is a frontend (to the same programs that most other linux cd burning programs use), and correct me if I'm wrong but amarok is a frontend too. I see no problem whatsoever of developers making fontends that are DE specific, in fact i think it's the best idea of all - it encourages everyone to contribute to the same core functionality while allowing people to interface with it in their own way. That way everyone wins - the users get a more reliable backend, the backend devs get more support for a better product, the graphical designers don't have to start from scratch, the DE devs can easily integrate the program, and therefore eliminates the need for further backend competitors. In the Linux world, its nice to have alternatives but why re-invent the wheel when you can just use the frame of it but add your own tires and hubcaps?
                  Last edited by schmidtbag; 07 November 2012, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Digikam has been glitchy up until the past year, and k3b has been around so long it's actually the oldest program I remember, so it had time to mature. On top of that, k3b is a frontend (to the same programs that most other linux cd burning programs use), and correct me if I'm wrong but amarok is a frontend too. I see no problem whatsoever of developers making fontends that are DE specific, in fact i think it's the best idea of all - it encourages everyone to contribute to the same core functionality while allowing people to interface with it in their own way. That way everyone wins - the users get a more reliable backend, the backend devs get more support for a better product, the graphical designers don't have to start from scratch, the DE devs can easily integrate the program, and therefore eliminates the need for further backend competitors. In the Linux world, its nice to have alternatives but why re-invent the wheel when you can just use the frame of it but add your own tires and hubcaps?
                    A lot of the KDE applications are frontends to common stuff.

All of the media players go through phonon, which is a frontend for gstreamer, vlc, and a xine (there may be others, but gstreamer is the recommended and possibly only maintained one now)
                    The instant messenger is moving to be a telepathy frontend.
                    Okular uses the poplar pdf reading library.
                    konqueror/rekonq uses webkit and embeds other kparts.

Dolphin, plasma, and the PIM and office stuff are the only ones that are really 'ground up' everything else is built on common linux tech.

Comment

What should he write a longer article about?
                      Originally posted by energyman View Post
                      compare the kde 4.9.3 article with the gnome 3.5.3 article. Just for fun.
                      Compare this one, just for fun:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If there's not much to write about, there's just not much to write about. And that's a major release.

Comment

Working...
                      X