Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widgets Are Coming To The Unity Desktop

Phoronix: Widgets Are Coming To The Unity Desktop

Aside from new lenses and other features coming to the Unity desktop during the Ubuntu 13.04 development cycle, Canonical will also be making a push for widgets to happen on Ubuntu's Unity desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If they're made with JS and HTML5 then perhaps the ones from windows 8 will work too, they won't be as difficult to port to other platforms (both hardware and software) and they'll be less disk consuming. But with Qt, they could try using KDEs engine to not only reduce time wasted on developing a new engine but maybe have the option to use some of their widgets. I'm sure qt might be a little more powerful than HTML anyway but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Widgets Are Coming To The Unity Desktop

Aside from new lenses and other features coming to the Unity desktop during the Ubuntu 13.04 development cycle, Canonical will also be making a push for widgets to happen on Ubuntu's Unity desktop...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIxODI
      I don't usually tell hobbyists what to spend their time on, but Canonical is a company funding programmers, and they are investing into things that have been solved for many years, just so they can control it.

This is a waste of time. Just use KDE and be done with it. You can configure it to do everything Unity does, make a Unity theme, and you're done. You get widgets, 2D desktop, 3D desktop, applications, SDK, you get everything.

But no, they are developing a desktop from scratch, just because you can't run that one on anything but Ubuntu. And then an SDK just for Ubuntu. I bet the widgets will only run on their engine too (KDE can run half a dozen different widgets, including Google and Apple stuff, any of them is good enough). Unity Widget API, ffs :facepalm: Waste of resources, if you ask me.

Comment

New crap, no polish

When will stop creating new stuff, and start polishing and fixing the crap they left behind?

Compiz, HUD, Ubuntu Software Center, Ubuntu One, Global Menu, Dash, Launcher, Shopping Lens, Dash search... they all lack polish and are plagued with bugs.

ps: If they had based unity in kde, all they had to develop was a couple of plasma widgets.

Comment

They should start using KDE, kwin is way better and stable than compiz (and they are unable to fix compiz for some reason), plasma - do whatever you like.
          I'm sure, it's way easier to customize KDE than create a new DE based on gnome which is changing radically.

Comment

Post-it notes

I've always wanted post-it notes.

I love post-it notes on Windows, you can change colors on them too.
            They're very useful and I use it to remember stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I've always wanted post-it notes.
              I love post-it notes on Windows, you can change colors on them too.
              They're very useful and I use it to remember stuff.
              If you use Ubuntu, have you tried Indicator Stickynotes? If not, try it:

Comment

I wonder if they also consider using plasmoids.. Though on the other hand they probably screw it up again.

Comment

They could just use kde plasma + compiz if they want to do it with Qt ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by zzarko View Post
                    If you use Ubuntu, have you tried Indicator Stickynotes? If not, try it:
                    https://launchpad.net/indicator-stickynotes
                    No, I hadn't tried it.
                    Thanks, just tried it!
                    It's a big buggy and not as mature and cool as the post-it notes on Windows.
                    Change color is buggy and doesn't work.
                    And cant change color per note.
                    Font doesn't resemble handwriting.

Comment

Working...
                    X