Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Flash Player Continues To Advance

Phoronix: Open-Source Flash Player Continues To Advance

While Adobe is no longer actively developing their Flash Player plug-in for Linux, the open-source Lightspark Flash Player alternative continues to advance. Lightspark 0.7.0 was released today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Adobe _is_ developing flash for Linux, just not thru the old interface, hence FF is stuck at flash v. 11.2. However, Chrome on Linux ships with the latest flash Version: 11.4.31.110.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Adobe _is_ developing flash for Linux, just not thru the old interface, hence FF is stuck at flash v. 11.2. However, Chrome on Linux ships with the latest flash Version: 11.4.31.110.
      No, not Adobe - Google took over development of Flash 4 Linux - as far as I know.

Comment

Now if only it worked on YouTube, instead of displaying the "loading dots" at the bottom of the applet and nothing else.
        Though it's been a while since I tested it, perhaps there were some updates...

Comment

Sorry, I never heard of this Project, so my knowledge is limited.

I think ALL Open-Source Browsers should adapt and support this project, and implement in their browser.

Comment

Originally posted by sgtGarcia View Post
            No, not Adobe - Google took over development of Flash 4 Linux - as far as I know.
            No, Google just agreed to implement the new (and better I guess) API thru which flash integrates with the browser which is called the ppapi. No other browser on Linux supports this api hence only Chrome has access to the newer versions of flash.

Comment

No, Google just agreed to implement the new (and better I guess) API thru which flash integrates with the browser which is called the ppapi.
              It's the other way around - Google created PPAPI, which is pretty much a wrapper around NaCl, and then Adobe made a new version of Flash which uses that instead of implementing all the low level stuff (hooks into the platform's graphics and audio frameworks and such) in the plugin itself like the NPAPI version of Flash does.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                It's the other way around - Google created PPAPI, which is pretty much a wrapper around NaCl, and then Adobe made a new version of Flash which uses that instead of implementing all the low level stuff (hooks into the platform's graphics and audio frameworks and such) in the plugin itself like the NPAPI version of Flash does.
                No, it's the other way around, Google created the api, looked around, talked to Adobe and they agreed to implement it in their products and make them work together.
                Point is, Adobe creates new versions of flash for Linux which are available on browsers which support the ppapi, which is only Chrome. Wikipedia is wrong on this issue, like Michael, who keeps suggesting Adobe discontinued support on Linux.

Comment

NO NO NO !!!! It's another way around !!!!

GOOGLE goes for World Domination , they got together with Adobe, paid them off to make a screwed up 11.2.whatever version with blue people to screw up all browsers except Chrome and then they jointly made that up about the API problem to freeze that version, meanwhile, NVIDIA , no less than savior of LINUX World (HAIL TO NVIDIA, you peasants !!!! ) , made a work around to clean the Adobe mess !!!!

Comment

No, it's the other way around, Google created the api, looked around, talked to Adobe
                    How is that different from what I said?

Your first post was different, as if Adobe was first with a new plugin, then Google implemented the API.

Comment

Working...
                    X