Ubuntu Looks To An SDK, Improved App Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    You worry about Python? How about worrying about not being able to run Ubuntu software on non-Ubuntu distros instead? If Ubuntu introduces an SDK, this will in effect mean that it's not a Linux distribution anymore. It will be more like a new operating system, and software targeting it will not run on "normal" Linux distributions, including Debian.
    That's a trend that has been becoming increasingly obvious.

I look at Ubuntu the same way I look at Android -- a very popular Linux fork going their own way. They already have their own desktop (Unity), largely out-of-tree Gnome (patched to hell), their own init system (upstart), their own Apple store, and now their own SDK.

Ubuntu is not Linux anymore, get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      You worry about Python? How about worrying about not being able to run Ubuntu software on non-Ubuntu distros instead? If Ubuntu introduces an SDK, this will in effect mean that it's not a Linux distribution anymore. It will be more like a new operating system, and software targeting it will not run on "normal" Linux distributions, including Debian.
      How is that a bad thing for the Ubuntu users and the Ubuntu community?

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
        How is that a bad thing for the Ubuntu users and the Ubuntu community?
        It is not a bad thing for Ubuntu. It might be a bad thing for the rest. At least it doesnt look like they will include any bugridden craptastic non-free toolkits controlled by copyright-hoarding nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
          It is not a bad thing for Ubuntu. It might be a bad thing for the rest.
          Then it isn't the responsibility of Ubuntu developers to ensure that it works with the other 681 distros. Anyone who cares that much about it should make it that way. That is the open source way isn't it? Scratch one's own itch?

At least it doesnt look like they will include any bugridden craptastic non-free toolkits controlled by copyright-hoarding nazis.
          Perhaps you meant "patent-hoarding"?

Comment

Then it isn't the responsibility of Ubuntu developers to ensure that it works with the other 681 distros. Anyone who cares that much about it should make it that way. That is the open source way isn't it? Scratch one's own itch?
            You can't do so much about it if it relies on something that you can't provide on other distros. You'd have to rewrite a lot of code. Eventually it might be easier to just create a new clone from scratch then to port a program like that.

Comment

Then it isn't the responsibility of Ubuntu developers to ensure that it works with the other 681 distros.
              No, but it looks like an attempt to ensure that it DOESN'T work with them.

Comment

Perhaps you meant "patent-hoarding"?
                That too! This SDK will be so full of rotten deadware. So less crappy toolkits written in dead languages the better.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  You can't do so much about it if it relies on something that you can't provide on other distros.
                  So Ubuntu should be held back in order to be compatible with other distros that cannot provide what Ubuntu provides?

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  You'd have to rewrite a lot of code. Eventually it might be easier to just create a new clone from scratch then to port a program like that.
                  I and many other Ubuntu users would prefer that outcome than for Ubuntu developers to waste time making software that doesn't integrate well with Ubuntu in order to work with all 683 other distros (2 more popped up since my last post; believe me, I'm not making this up). There are already many "craptastic cross-distro" software/"packages" that look and work like... well... crap. We don't need more of those

As I said before, those who care about it that much should do the work rather than complain.

Comment

That too! This SDK will be so full of rotten deadware. So less crappy toolkits written in dead languages the better.
                    Most of all the code you use in compiled form is copyrighted be it Linux, Qt, GTK, XCB etc... So your earlier statement doesn't make sense.

Do you have some kind of insider information that the rest of us aren't aware of?
                    How do you know what the SDK will contain?
                    How do you know what languages it will offer?

What are your suggestions to make your perception of the situation better?
                    Which languages do you suggest?
                    Which toolkit do you suggest?

Do you just attack and belittle anything that isn't in line with "your" wants or do you have legitimate grievances?
                    Last edited by jayrulez; 28 October 2012, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      That's a trend that has been becoming increasingly obvious.

I look at Ubuntu the same way I look at Android -- a very popular Linux fork going their own way. They already have their own desktop (Unity), largely out-of-tree Gnome (patched to hell), their own init system (upstart), their own Apple store, and now their own SDK.

Ubuntu is not Linux anymore, get over it.
                      Apparently this is the only way to have some success, look at fedora*: it's close to upstream (and a very good distro imho) but often it's not appreciated as it deserves and considered "too difficult" to be widespread. I'd be glad to convince my friend to use fedora instead of windows or ubuntu** but i know they will revert back at the first difficulty.

* i use fedora as an example over debian, arch etc. because it's more "average user"-oriented.
                      ** i haven't nothing against ubuntu, simply i don't like its being "far" from upstream.
                      Last edited by freedam; 28 October 2012, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X