No announcement yet.

KDevelop 4.4: Not Much Is New With The IDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since IDE is All-Day-Inside kind of software, optimizations are always welcome (especially for things that you spend most time on, like you know writing code :P)

PS Have KDevelop some nice editor features similar to SumblimeText or TextMate? (oh like fancy block choosing, etc.)

Comment

They should instead contribute to Qt Creator.

Comment

Originally posted by rebebenne View Post
        They should instead contribute to Qt Creator.
        Right, because of course when a new project comes along everyone working on existing projects should immediately drop those projects and join the new project. That is a great way to make progress.

If anything it should be the Qt Creator people contributing to KDevelop. But that is also silly, since these projects have different goals, so there is a place for both of them.

Comment

QtCreator and KDevelop news

IMO it should be viceversa.

Qt Creator feels awkward to use, cmake support sucks and is Qt-Centric.

KDevelop can be used successfully when coding STL/Boost only projects. KDevelop also supports other languages than C++ (ruby,java,py,php) KDevelop though lacks qt creator's cross compile support, but unfortunately Qt on nokia devices is dead and i still haven't seen any apps using Qt on android.

just my 2c

And for the news part. Custom buildsystem is being moved to be a core module of KDevelop.

Comment

Originally posted by admiral0 View Post
            KDevelop can be used successfully when coding STL/Boost only projects.
            I've only switched to KDevelop a short while ago, but it was able to autocomplete the GLFW, Ogre3D, and Bullet libraries, the debugger works as expected, and the build system is just CMake. I'm not sure where the STL/Boost-only projects statement is coming from. Can you elaborate on that?

Comment

Originally posted by Vax456 View Post
              I've only switched to KDevelop a short while ago, but it was able to autocomplete the GLFW, Ogre3D, and Bullet libraries, the debugger works as expected, and the build system is just CMake. I'm not sure where the STL/Boost-only projects statement is coming from. Can you elaborate on that?
              It completes very well C and C++ libs. A lot better than Qt Creator.

Comment

I love KDevelop

I really love KDevelop, yes even over Qt Creator. It has a really amazing insight into the code and so you can do some very cool navigation, completion and refactoring. And it would be perfect if KDevelop also supported Java so I could get rid of annoying or bloated Java IDEs. Oh and some more integrated support for QML and OpenGL/shaders would also be awesome. Keep up the great work KDevelop hackers, you make an awesome IDE.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                  Proper python autocompletion + pyqt seems to be on the todo list of qtcreator forever and kdevelop seems to be not as fast with it either, but at least it seems to be active: http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kdev-python.git&a=summary
                  As a beginner it would be so much easier to get into when you wouldn't need to look at the documentation all the time how every signal is named, etc... All the "python ides" are very strange to me, even eric5 doesn't seem to autocomplete signals... Sadly pydev in eclipse seems to be still the python ide that gives the best out of the box experience. :/
                  The kdev-python plugin for kdevlelop works great today. Atlest for python 2.x
                  If a commercial IDE is acceptable i think pycharm is okay. Thay have ha 30 day free trial.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                    The kdev-python plugin for kdevlelop works great today. Atlest for python 2.x
                    I didn't realize this existed. Pretty much exactly what I was searching for, thank you!

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                    If a commercial IDE is acceptable i think pycharm is okay. Thay have ha 30 day free trial.
                    Not really for me, I don't intend to do very serious stuff with it in the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                      Since IDE is All-Day-Inside kind of software, optimizations are always welcome (especially for things that you spend most time on, like you know writing code :P)

PS Have KDevelop some nice editor features similar to SumblimeText or TextMate? (oh like fancy block choosing, etc.)
                      kdevelop is not dependent on a specific text editor, it need a editor with ktexteditor support. Earlier both kate and the qt vim port supported the ktexteditor specification. The qt vim port is dead. I think kate is the best editor available today with ktexteditor support.
                      Kate has decent vi support, good scripting support with decent language bindings. That is enough for me. I think many of the more advanced editor functionalities is unnecessary when you have a intelligent language parser as in kdevelop, eclipse etc. But I have never tested sublime so much I have a opinion on the specific editor.

Comment

Working...
                      X