Features Being Brewed For KDE 4.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    It looks like 4.10 will be just as dull as 4.9! The big things are happening in gnome and unity land.
    KDE is working towards KDE Frameworks and Workspaces 5.0... Just recently Blue Systems hired what ten developers to work full time on upstream KDE. That doesn't like dying project either. KDE is one project that is still gaining features where as others are removing them by the release. There's huge outrage in Gnome/Ubuntu camp because of the dramatic changes, removal of features, advertisement, stupid design decissions and so on while the KDE community seems stable and satisfied. You rarely hear people complaining that KDE 4.9 was worse than 4.8 or that 4.8 was worse than 4.7 as every release is improvement over the previous.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
      KDE is one project that is still gaining features where as others are removing them by the release.
      LOL. Nice argument when Kwin boot tiling support. OMG OMG holy shit holy shit, KDE is purging features!!1 Bring forth the torches!!!! Oh wait that doesnt apply when we are talking about KDE does it? KDE is just as crappy slow moving turd as it has been for years now. Obsoleted by Unity, LOL.

Comment

LOL. Nice argument when Kwin boot tiling support. OMG OMG holy shit holy shit, KDE is purging features!!1 Bring forth the torches!!!! Oh wait that doesnt apply when we are talking about KDE does it?
        Last but not least there is one important change for the 4.10 release. KWin?s window tiling capabilities which were implemented by a Season of KDE project a few years ago had to be removed again as the feature is seeing some bit rot and is completely unmaintained. Thanks to scripting it should be possible to implement window tiling again and provide it in time for 4.10. And work is going on to make that happen. If you want to help, please leave a note
        So the tiling support was dropped from developement version of KDE 4.10 and is going to be added back before 4.10. Sounds like exactly the way it should be done. KDE SC 4.9 still has tiling support and KDE 4.10 is going to have tiling support.

KDE is just as crappy slow moving turd as it has been for years now. Obsoleted by Unity, LOL.
        I really like to know more about these people who have migrated from KDE to Unity... to me it seems that more people have left Ubuntu because of Unity than anything else ever before.

Comment

Isn't Unity the resource hog king? So, why would people move from crap (KDE) or crap B (Gnome 3) to bigger crap (Unity)? I have read that some people are moving to XFCE and perhaps, LXDE. But, they have gtk connections and I often notice they often suffer from some of the same bugs or problems Gnome users have.

I wish the Gnome2 fork was more successful. At least, they didn't seem to focus on mobile devices or eye candy as much as the others.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
            What's wrong with konsole?
            The fact that most distributions don't come with Yakuake by default, which uses Konsole's Kpart.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
              Isn't Unity the resource hog king? So, why would people move from crap (KDE) or crap B (Gnome 3) to bigger crap (Unity)? I have read that some people are moving to XFCE and perhaps, LXDE. But, they have gtk connections and I often notice they often suffer from some of the same bugs or problems Gnome users have.

I wish the Gnome2 fork was more successful. At least, they didn't seem to focus on mobile devices or eye candy as much as the others.
              I don't know why you'd move to LXDE.

I'd buy a real computer before I settled on LXDE. As far as I can tell, LXDE exists mainly to run on computers that were already considered crap around the time Windows XP came about.

Edit: Also, XFCE can be pretty obese depending on the distribution that is shipping it. Ubuntu's XFCE comes preloaded with a bunch of really godawful Unity crap and nonsense from GNOME 3.

Isn't the entire point of XFCE to be light and functional? Not many distributions strike that balance very well.

I tried out Fedora 18's spin of XFCE yesterday, and it's looking pretty good (there's still a few pieces of 4.9 left on the latest nightly, but you can upgrade those few packages and log otu and back in, and you can see what XFCE done right is looking like on a decent distribution.

Now, I did notice one odd thing. They don't ship the volume daemon running by default, but you can install that and add it to your start programs. Change the theme around a little bit, and you're good.
              Last edited by DaemonFC; 13 October 2012, 11:06 PM.

Comment

The kernel already has this exception when linking userspace interfaces.
                Last edited by Dan555a; 13 October 2012, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
                  The fact that most distributions don't come with Yakuake by default, which uses Konsole's Kpart.
                  oh man, thats pretty cool

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
                    I don't know why you'd move to LXDE.

I'd buy a real computer before I settled on LXDE. As far as I can tell, LXDE exists mainly to run on computers that were already considered crap around the time Windows XP came about.

Edit: Also, XFCE can be pretty obese depending on the distribution that is shipping it. Ubuntu's XFCE comes preloaded with a bunch of really godawful Unity crap and nonsense from GNOME 3.

Isn't the entire point of XFCE to be light and functional? Not many distributions strike that balance very well.

I tried out Fedora 18's spin of XFCE yesterday, and it's looking pretty good (there's still a few pieces of 4.9 left on the latest nightly, but you can upgrade those few packages and log otu and back in, and you can see what XFCE done right is looking like on a decent distribution.

Now, I did notice one odd thing. They don't ship the volume daemon running by default, but you can install that and add it to your start programs. Change the theme around a little bit, and you're good.
                    KDE is bloated crap.

There's discussions in the Distrowatch comments nowadays on how downhill KDE is going. Where have you been?

Gnome 3 is worse so XFCE and LXDE at least, somewhat resemble a decent desktop.

Comment

Ah Panix.

First he forms an opinion on Radeon drivers from reading Phoronix forums, then he forms an opinion on KDE by reading Distrowatch comments. :rofl:

Of course, actually trying it and seeing that it's good would be too much work.

Comment

Working...
                      X