Trinity KDE 3.5 Desktop Fork Sees New Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toguro123 View Post
    KDE 3.5 has been receiving bug fixes and patches since its release in 2005. If it keeps getting updated/patched then its in its way to become one hell of a stable/extremely well tested DE.

One thumbs up for stability.
    It's good to understand that this is not about KDE 3.5 but Trinity that has had a lot more developement than just bug fixing (and is probably more broken than 3.5 ever was). If you want stability and the enterprise security fixes you should run the KDE 3.5.10 found in openSUSE or Pardus.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Well, Pearson acts as if TDE was the real successor to KDE3. He even continues the version numbering and if TDE was the real successor and matches the version numbers, he should stick to the binary compatibility promise that all major KDE/SC releases have.
      This is going to change. The current Trinity version is 3.5.13.1, and it is still compatible with QT3 and KDE3 applications (you may need to recompile the applications, but the source code does not need patching).

Starting with next major release, all KDE branding and KDE versionning will be modified.
      Then, Trinity can finally live as an independant project from both KDE3 and KDE4, even if it has started from a fork. It does not intend to become the "KDE3 upstream" or a "KDE4 replacement": it is an alternative desktop environment.

Comment

Originally posted by toguro123 View Post
        KDE 3.5 has been receiving bug fixes and patches since its release in 2005. If it keeps getting updated/patched then its in its way to become one hell of a stable/extremely well tested DE.

One thumbs up for stability.
        Now with QT3 being rather outdated and unsupported perhaps it should be ported to QT4 so that it can be built with modern compilers. I liked KDE 3.5 myself as it was quite snappy even on an old thinkpad T23 where KDE 4 is slow as a drunken slug. To me KDE 3.5 was quite well done and with a little more work could been quite rock stable so that it could been around a long time

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
          It's good to understand that this is not about KDE 3.5 but Trinity that has had a lot more developement than just bug fixing (and is probably more broken than 3.5 ever was). If you want stability and the enterprise security fixes you should run the KDE 3.5.10 found in openSUSE or Pardus.
          KDE 3.5 is dead. Last commit to its source was almost 2 years ago: http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/
          Kontact?s ?Enterprise? branch is almost dead, with only the German translation having received a small change a few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            KDE 3.5 is dead. Last commit to its source was almost 2 years ago: http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/
            Kontact?s ?Enterprise? branch is almost dead, with only the German translation having received a small change a few months ago.
            That's not entirely true. There's some activity in openSUSE KDE 3.5 mailing lists and developement is being done. At least the packages can be compiled agaist the latest openSUSE release. Pardus still uses KDE 3.5.10 on its enterprise version so it has to get some security fixes if holes are found. Of course both Trinity and KDE 3.5.10 are dead ends in sense that they depend on outdated technologies like Qt 3 and HAL among others and there's no way they are going to be ported to Qt 4 (without breaking the entire desktop environment in the process).

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
              That's not entirely true. There's some activity in openSUSE KDE 3.5 mailing lists and developement is being done. At least the packages can be compiled agaist the latest openSUSE release. Pardus still uses KDE 3.5.10 on its enterprise version so it has to get some security fixes if holes are found. Of course both Trinity and KDE 3.5.10 are dead ends in sense that they depend on outdated technologies like Qt 3 and HAL among others and there's no way they are going to be ported to Qt 4 (without breaking the entire desktop environment in the process).
              Pardus is even more dead than KDE 3. All funding halted early this year.
              udisk2 support for KDE3 was developed by the openSUSE-KDE3 maintainer, yes, but no fixes for security flaws or other bugs are being developed because all major enterprise-grade distributions (Debian, RHEL, SLED) switched to 4.x long ago.

Comment

Disclaimer: this post represents my personal opinion and does not represent the opinion of any community I’m involved with. The motiviation of this post is mostly the fact that I tried severa…

More evidence that Trinity is incompetent.

Edit: Also, Plagiarism.

I think it summarizes nicely what one should expect from this project. I can only recommend everybody to keep away from the junk this project is producing.
                Last edited by DaemonFC; 15 October 2012, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X