Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E17 Does A Desktop Shootout, The Winner Is....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Wow. Ubuntu really sucks that much? After login into KDE, memory usage on my system is 290MB. What on earth is Ubuntu wasting the additional 1GB memory on?
    Haha, one could ask what are you wasting 256mb on

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
      Wow. KDEs million crasher bugs doesnt come for free. In order to be so buggy they need to be a ressource hog as well. But is a nice feature it is so slow starting. This is to save battery because it is burning battery power when "idle".

Stopping KDE is halfway stopping global warming.
      Seriously?!

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Haha, one could ask what are you wasting 256mb on
        Caches don't count in these tests. Thus usage truly is usage. The waste goes into play when you calculate total memory-(usage+caches), but that's another issue entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Caches don't count in these tests. Thus usage truly is usage. The waste goes into play when you calculate total memory-(usage+caches), but that's another issue entirely.
          ?

It is a waste to spend several hundred megs on non-cache things too...

Comment

it is waste to not use RAM that is available

Comment

Hawing water in tap and not drinking it all is also waste?

Comment

depending on the region where you live you can't waste (cold) water, yes. I for one live in a region with many rain and luckily there is this process called "hydrologic cycle". If you need water, take it. This does not count for hot water, because you can waste energy easily ;-)

Comment

So, I live in a region when free RAM is now waste, because when I run IDE with FF, then I need more free RAM for them.

Comment

if the RAM is used by FF or an IDE it is not free ;-) I meant using _otherwise_ free RAM to speed things up is a good thing. When there is a high pressure on RAM you can easily free RAM that was only used to speed up things (caching, preloading, preallocated ram, ...). But free unused RAM doesn't help anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
                      Yeah, see your Fedora XFCE memory usage is only 200+ MB. The Ubuntu memory usage in the shootout is over 900MB.

Crazy.
                      Yeah, at the moment I have Chromium open with 15 tabs open, Desurium open in my tray, LibreOffice displaying an ODT on my second screen, and two instances of Thunar and I am only using 811 mb.

Might be a difference in how lxtask gets it's information though.

Comment

Working...
                      X