Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E17 Does A Desktop Shootout, The Winner Is....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E17 Does A Desktop Shootout, The Winner Is....

Phoronix: E17 Does A Desktop Shootout, The Winner Is....

The E17 release manager has done a "desktop shootout" where he compares the start-up speed and resource consumption of the KDE Plasma, GNOME Shell, Xfce, Unity, and Unity 2D desktops. He also ended up throwing in E17 and TWM too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow. Ubuntu really sucks that much? After login into KDE, memory usage on my system is 290MB. What on earth is Ubuntu wasting the additional 1GB memory on?

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      Hahaha look how shitty gnome shell and unity are. I feel sorry for all the users who drank the kool-aid.
      Wow. KDEs million crasher bugs doesnt come for free. In order to be so buggy they need to be a ressource hog as well. But is a nice feature it is so slow starting. This is to save battery because it is burning battery power when "idle".

Stopping KDE is halfway stopping global warming.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Wow. Ubuntu really sucks that much? After login into KDE, memory usage on my system is 290MB. What on earth is Ubuntu wasting the additional 1GB memory on?
        It depends on how much RAM your system has, really.

I'm running on a 4GB RAM system with Arch Linux and KDE (the minimal install) and it eats around 600mb on start.

He has 16GB.

And I bet you have less than 4.

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
        Wow. KDEs million crasher bugs doesnt come for free. In order to be so buggy they need to be a ressource hog as well. But is a nice feature it is so slow starting. This is to save battery because it is burning battery power when "idle".

Stopping KDE is halfway stopping global warming.
        I'm sorry, wha?
        I've barely had any issues with KDE, what the fuck are you talking about? Are you running it on a 1 GB laptop and complaining because you can run a full desktop environment?

Comment

Once again LXDE is forgotten about, which annoys me considering its pretty much the only TRUE lightweight DE that is still actively maintained.

Comment

I know that Fluxbox was really fast when I was using it about a year ago. But it wasn't for me? KDE is much more useful so and that's why it starts 10 seconds longer than E17 (only 10 seconds? I thought I will be about another minute, so I'm positively surprised).

Comment

Originally posted by BoTuLoX View Post
              I'm sorry, wha?
              I've barely had any issues with KDE, what the fuck are you talking about? Are you running it on a 1 GB laptop and complaining because you can run a full desktop environment?
              Maybe he ran 4.0 to 4.6?

Now it's mostly the desktop effects that are bugged. I'm running 4.9.2 at the moment and the plasma dashboard makes all windows just disappear behind the "search and run" desktop instead of being desaturated and blurred. I have no preview windows in the taskbar. The localization works unexpectedly. LC_ALL=Some_Locale systemsettings translates the menus and toolbars but not the kcm modules. KDE needs 2 to 3 times as long as booting the kernel including all services and lightdm. The akonadi database in .local/share/akonadi/db_data is growing and growing, especially the ib_logfile* files and you can not remove them because akonadi is going to rebuild them somehow every time you start kde. I'm lucky it's only 148 MB for me but on the internet there are reports of 3+ GB.

And what does he do that he needs 45+ seconds to boot...?

Comment

I can only say two things:
                1. a first run is hardly a relevant metric
                2. all DEs have performed in the same ballpark

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Once again LXDE is forgotten about, which annoys me considering its pretty much the only TRUE lightweight DE that is still actively maintained.
                  That was going to be my question: what about LXDE? I blink and LXDE starts up. Shutdown is almost instantaneous as well.

Comment

From what I saw, most problems with KDE is when people are using non-vanilla KDE (such in Ubuntu). For me, moving from Ubuntu to Arch was a real new quality.

Comment

Working...
                    X