Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E17 Does A Desktop Shootout, The Winner Is....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Wow. Ubuntu really sucks that much? After login into KDE, memory usage on my system is 290MB. What on earth is Ubuntu wasting the additional 1GB memory on?
    A lot of Gnome stuff, probably. Ubuntu is notorious for loading a lot of unnecessary Gnome stuff in the background even when the user is just using KDE.
    Last edited by TheBlackCat; 10 October 2012, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      1. a first run is hardly a relevant metric
      My thoughts exactly. It is kind of worrisome that the maintainer of E17 doesn't seem to know the importance of caching, especially when using lots of SVGs.

Comment

The two issues he mentioned against Gnome-Shell have been fixed in 3.6

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
          My thoughts exactly. It is kind of worrisome that the maintainer of E17 doesn't seem to know the importance of caching, especially when using lots of SVGs.
          The E17 release manager needs to find something to do since releasing E17 is apparently impossible.

Comment

Downside here is that this was the only desktop environment from which I was unable to reboot my machine using a GUI. Second round of slow clapping for being the only desktop to create popups (seen at bottom) with no timeout.
            Hold alt to turn the suspend menu into the menu option that allows for shutdown/restart/log off. I think I read that for 3.6 they were adding the power off menu back because they received to much negative hate over this, of which I was one. The no timeout on the status bar thing at the bottom of the screen is a real annoyance. Especially when you insert a flash drive and the open/eject dialog appears. The entire bottom fourth of the screen is on lock down until you pick one of the options. No dismiss button to be found. Ticks me off to no end when I'm required to pick one of those options when I don't want either. That fail whale dialog need abolished, too. It is practically a BSOD from windows.

KDE is way too slow for my tastes and the keverything drives me nuts. Yes, I know, Gnome does this to an extend too but not for everything. This is the same reason I despise Apple's naming scheme. iPhone, iPod, iPad, iPhail, iTunes, iCloud and iEverything.

I've tried LXDE, xfe and TWM but couldn't quite give up Gnome. Keep forgetting about E17. Need to put that on my to do list.

[edit] I take way too long to form replies when at work. There was only one reply when I started this reply. *sigh* Now 1/2 my post is redundant.
            Last edited by Credomane; 10 October 2012, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoTuLoX View Post
              It depends on how much RAM your system has, really.

I'm running on a 4GB RAM system with Arch Linux and KDE (the minimal install) and it eats around 600mb on start.

He has 16GB.

And I bet you have less than 4.
              Actually I also have 16GB RAM. This is right after boot:

Comment

Hold alt to turn the suspend menu into the menu option that allows for shutdown/restart/log off. I think I read that for 3.6 they were adding the power off menu back because they received to much negative hate over this, of which I was one. The no timeout on the status bar thing at the bottom of the screen is a real annoyance. Especially when you insert a flash drive and the open/eject dialog appears. The entire bottom fourth of the screen is on lock down until you pick one of the options. No dismiss button to be found. Ticks me off to no end when I'm required to pick one of those options when I don't want either. That fail whale dialog need abolished, too. It is practically a BSOD from windows.
                No need to choose one of the actions, just click on the big whale border to dismiss the notification. It will be better in 3.6 probably.

Comment

still on kde

Considering how complete is a kde desktop, i think that 290MB (full, not just kde) is really a low value.
                  Startup time is slow, that's true, but (again), why complain?
                  Just hibernate/suspend to disk your machine.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    Actually I also have 16GB RAM. This is right after boot:

http://bayimg.com/laDmkAAen
                    Well, actually, you're just counting the cache :P.

Comment

Originally posted by BoTuLoX View Post
                      Well, actually, you're just counting the cache :P.
                      295 is the amount of allocated RAM *without* cache. That's what is generally understood as memory consumption. But even *with* cache, the 565MB I get here are still far away from the 1.3GB on Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                      X