KDE's KWin Gears Up To Advance At Faster Pace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Akka View Post
    If you write something when the plasma desktop is in focus, krunner automatically catch the text. If a window is in focus click on the desktop and write and krunner catch the text.
    Just tried it, didnt work (KDE 4.9.2-- Arch) There a setting you know of for it? No windows open, clicked the desktop, started typing, krunner didnt pop up.

Anything I type at the desktop though seems to get shoved through Dolphin for some odd reason. If I type Movies and hit enter, Dolphin pops up in my Movies folder. But if I type "konsole" Dolphin then pops up...in whatever folder I was in last. "firefox" --> same thing, "gitsrc" ---> gitsrc folder in my home directory.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Just tried it, didnt work (KDE 4.9.2-- Arch) There a setting you know of for it? No windows open, clicked the desktop, started typing, krunner didnt pop up.

Anything I type at the desktop though seems to get shoved through Dolphin for some odd reason. If I type Movies and hit enter, Dolphin pops up in my Movies folder. But if I type "konsole" Dolphin then pops up...in whatever folder I was in last. "firefox" --> same thing, "gitsrc" ---> gitsrc folder in my home directory.
      Do you use "Folder View"? Folder Views keyboard navigation probably take over if its activated.
      At least with the default desktop krunner take the input.
      I don't now if it exist a way to configure the behavior in "Folder View".

Comment

Do you use "Folder View"? Folder Views keyboard navigation probably take over if its activated.
        At least with the default desktop krunner take the input.
        I don't now if it exist a way to configure the behavior in "Folder View".
        That fixed it. Thanks Akka, I always ran KDE in Folder View (With the folder set to my Home) so I never even knew that was a feature. WIll definitely stick to normal layout now though because I really like that Krunner picks it up automatically
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I am under the impression than in 4.9 and 4.8 releases they added relatively few features and tried to stabilize more the DE.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler_K View Post
            Right -- but as you seem to understand yourself, the bottom line is that what you have described is not a KDE issue, but rather is a randr limitation (randr does not currently support multiple Screens within an X Display .... though it most certainly supports multiple monitors attached to a single X Screen within a particular X Display).

I suppose that the KDE GUI could provide a better explanation as to why it won't work in the case of multiple X display Screens (:0.0, :0.1, ... :0.n), or across Displays (:0.x, :1.x) for that case I guess, but Meh.

Hopefully, by this time next year, all the hard work that David Airlie is doing towards that end will provide results that many of us wait upon
            damn straught !
            i can't waaaaait till all that nice stuff, GNU/Linux graphics guys doing recently, would be wrapped up into pretty user-friendly "packaging" in distributions, and all the wonders of multiple-outputs virtual screens , independent screens and multi-seat cuncurrent displays, root-less X would be easily accessible without being limited & hidden by static & obscure, driver-specific options and DEs being confused by them.

oooh... now i just need to figure out why KDE|X began refusing to let cursor unto second screen. and, by the way, X still don't even want to set maximum refresh rate for second monitor automatically, at least the damn thing selects maximum resolution... but, with RandR unavailable, it's either Xinerama with lesser rate, some apps being confused and windows going about willy-nilly or "Zaphod" with second monitor being useless :/
            which also reminds me, that even thought much work been done to ease multi-seat support, there's nothing been heard about easier input devices assaingment beyond usual messing around with xorg.conf. which is too bad.

Just curious, when was the last time you tried using it? 4.7 and 4.8 both had big updates related to Nepomuk and strigi to fix several memory and CPU related issues. After 4.8 hit i've had zero updates with the indexer sucking resources into infinitely, 4.7 had some issues but was better than 4.6 and prior where I would hit the "Sucking up resources until killed" situations every so often.
            i use KDE4 from 4.X to 4.9.2 and occassionally, rarely, tried enabling those things, but don't remember when precisely.
            ocassionaly fucking up entire system, that only quick proper console command could help, is not very tolerable behaviour for such late releases.
            maybe it's not that bad for people who really want something like that, but for me:
            1) being that unrealiable, on addition of being useless for me
            2) _KDE's constant complains_ about it being disabled until not long ago
            drives me nuts every time i have to deal with it.

Phonon I can't really comment on because I havent had any issues with it in a long time. but Kopete was last updated 4 months ago according to the wikipedia article ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopete ), though if you check the official kopete website ( http://kopete.kde.org/ ) The last update for it was back in 2008 so maybe its been in maintenance mode since 2008.
            it's not like Kopete completely unmaintainable. it's that Kopete from KDE4 is not made up to par with KDE3 one, but it's improvement been halted at some point.
            just like with most of the rest, KDE guys started implementing strange shit instead of finishing off Qt4 transition.

Gstreamer handles multimedia / codecs
            Alsa handles audio drivers
            Pulse handles audio output
            Avahi handles mdns
            systemd is looking to be the new standard for init and low-level things
            LightDM is looking to be the new login-manager of choice since its lightdm-core + a greeter frontend
            udev handles devices
            NetworkManger handles Network Management (fittingly lol) though it does need bridging support to be fully capable.
            Any new standards or possible standards I'm missing? Standards meaning standard because most distros use them/plan to use them, not because a committee sat down and said "This is the standard" (cant remember which is standard de facto and which is standard de jure, its 2am haha)
            sounds good, but i just wish that Mister P & company would stop hard-conding PA, Sd and NM for their favorite use-cases in detriment to everything and everyone else before starting to try to popularize them.
            LightDM & KMSCon guys look like they know what they doing in comparison. by the way, about KDM - damn thing also regressed in comparison to KDE3, and no-one give much shit about it. and it's damn GUI doesn't even have all the options for it... and why the fuck it's primary config is sitting in /usr ? :\ uh.

trying out NM in KDE is still a challange of frustration. and i'm a "networking guy", who knows what he's doing.
            setting up & controlling something like PPPoE via PON with it for an ordinary guy is fucking confusing. the its GUI looks like a pretentious WPA Supplicant GUI reject, and its console frontend... maybe i have to see this shit in some binary distros, and not Gentoo, because Gentoo guys clearly not give much fuck about NM and Sd.

Could the crashes simply be related to the KHTML libs not being optimization friendly? Maybe gcc optimized away something important either due to a gcc bug or the style / architecture of the libs.
            most likely. but what's frustrating is that it happened on minor version update. and that apparently akregator have something to do with khtml even when it uses (and it _uses engine set as default in konqueror_)
            webkit. that's fucked up. and those small things are the legion. in _every_ _fucking_ _aspect_ _of_ _KDE4_. and they not only not going away with time and "development" but multiply.

every time i look at a built-in "Timer" plasmoid on my desktop, i think i see how much provident thought are put into it...
            just look at it's timer settings: instead of an easy way to set up arbitrary countdown time (like giving you an analogue clock picture to click with you mouse on for setting an alarm for desired time, or presenting a dialog to directly put time and then keeping last entered values for fast-input), you have to use contex menu on it to select pre-defined values or to go into settings to set those values, and when you're setting those, your new values go on top (in addition to cluttering the contex menu, of course) of the pile, despite their relation to already available ones (no sorting). so you have to click like _literally >10 time_ _each time_ you're adding a value larger than the last one to sort that shit manually, which doesn't save it from being cluttered and over-complicated, when it has the right to be.
            and you can't delete plasmoids from plasmoid menu in plasma (because it's "plasmoid adding" menu, you see !) either, when those motherfuckers go out of screen's visible area, which may confuse plasma and make it segfault, in addition to eating up resources (like you could with Kicker's addons in addons menu...). and that menu is the hard-to-use horizontal bullshit thingy with 'search' working only for current KDE's locale, not taking vanilla, English names into account, so you have to guess what localizers wrote about plasmoid you need. great...
            and something like that is EVERY-fucking-WHERE ! should i elaborate on how it drives me nuts ? no, i think you see.

Just gonna down the list, mainly just clarifying things for anyone else reading the discussion...
            |SKIPPED|
            it's how they say about Russian politics: "they wanted to do it be better, but they did it like always..."

i can only hope that Martin isn't into politics much

You said yourself that its decades old X functionality thats breaking some things
            NO, no. i said that it's an old damn thing, which was around for decades... and they still don't take it into account, while it's useful and awesome. its architecture warrants for much improvement for sure, but it exists, works, and they treat it like it's not. because "it's not what most people do & want !".
            well, most people want Windows?, 'antivirus' amulet-of-an-icon and not to give a fuck, until it's too late. that way, everyone is going to be disappointed, but not everyone will get why, at the end.

I wouldnt say I'm happy with KDE4, like theres somethings I wish could be changed, but I am far happier with KDE than I am with Gnome or XCFE or LXDE or any of the *boxes.
            same here, except "happy" = "least angry". but maybe i just too emo nowadays :|

I just wish there was an search applet on the panel similar to OS X's Spotlight where I could just hit it and search instead of having to do alt-f2 when I wanted to do it, im not a fan of keyboard bindings mainly because I forget about them lol
            he-he ! it's just like me and on-Kicker console field/"applet" in KDE3: i used to punch one-string commands occasionally in it, but it was removed in KDE4. i complained to KDE devs, and they said, that "most people don't need it", and i should be getting used to alt+f2. except: it's a piece of shit, that isn't on the screen, when it's needs to be, doesn't accept "complex commands" (it's a god-damn search field and doesn't want to be treated as konsole), and _popping out on a desktop_, when you push any buttons on a keyboard, nothing is in focus at that moment, and obstructs the way. now it doesn't pop out. i don't know is it because they fucking figured that one out, or because i forbidden it via GUI-less config change (but even then, instead of popping out it blocked hotkeys, when nothing is in focus, like it tried to intercept the input anyway), documented somewhere on their site.
            BUT still, it's... you guessed it! - pretty FUCKED the-fuck UP !

Code:
            ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals:
            [KDE Action Restrictions][$i]
            run_command=false
            If you write something when the plasma desktop is in focus, krunner automatically catch the text. If a window is in focus click on the desktop and write and krunner catch the text.
            sounds like they _did_ figured that one out. trust me, it's for the best.
            or maybe they just have broke by regression that broken-by-design krunner crap too. oh, the irony !
            That fixed it. Thanks Akka, I always ran KDE in Folder View (With the folder set to my Home) so I never even knew that was a feature. WIll definitely stick to normal layout now though because I really like that Krunner picks it up automatically
            or that :]
            still, even though nepomuk is disable-able, virtuoso is kill-able, i'm not aware of GUI allowing easily to get rid of that krunner/"searcher" thing, despite hidden option being available, from the looks of it, for quite some time.

Comment

Working...
            X