No announcement yet.

Unity 6.8 Doesn't Change Much For Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the "unredirect fullscreen windows" compiz option applied to this test ?

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
      Does mutter even work on fgrlx?
      Has worked well on my setup with catalyst 12.4 and upwards.

Comment

Here's my tuppence. I can't get 720p to play smoothly on my ion NetBook under Unity. If I switch to Gnome it plays back fine (after I install umplayer and the right nvidia driver and enable vdpau)

Comment

Originally posted by Nepenthes View Post
          Is the "unredirect fullscreen windows" compiz option applied to this test ?
          I thought Ubuntu was aiming for the out of the box trouble-free experience and most of Ubuntu users don't want to configure much.
          So if it is the case that options like these are not set correctly per default - it says much about the QA of Canonical.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
            I thought Ubuntu was aiming for the out of the box trouble-free experience and most of Ubuntu users don't want to configure much.
            So if it is the case that options like these are not set correctly per default - it says much about the QA of Canonical.
            I would say that the 6 months release is a rabid release. The QA dont have enough time to bug fix a whole OS.
            Canonical should try to make this a 8 month or even an yearly release schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
              It's planned for this to be enabled out of the box. It may not yet be the case. Even if it is, I doubt Michael is doing a fresh install, but just updating the packages. If he's just updating, the option will never be enabled unless they force the option to become enabled. I think Michael is purposely doing this just to link bait.

Comment

Unity and Compiz need to get their shit together... you shouldn't be the most popular DE/WM and be continuously taking performance drops with each version for years.

Comment

These tests needed to be run on the nvidia binary driver as well. There was a fix or two in the latest releases in compiz and/or unity for that. I'll give it a try some time soon, but under nvidia, things are quite slow by default .. even on the desktop (this is a GTX560Ti compared to the open source Intel driver on an i3-2120.. obviously the 560 should be better in all ways to the i3).

Comment

i don't understand this. why the eef isn't shuttleworth shelling some money to fix the monolithic piece of crap that is Ubuntu. is he some kind of a sadist that enjoys torturing the users. btw, unity looks like a version of osx made for a homeless shelter. at least on debian stable I can get work done without the 5000 bugs destroying my workflow. the graphic stack of Windows is ten years ahead of Linux. Shuttleworth would have to pour the millions to get Wayland as a first class citizen before Linux has shot at a desktop breakthrough. Also he would have pour the cash into the nouveau project so that Nvidia aren't using alpha grade software made with toothpicks. He then would have to fix up Samba so that Linux has a solid contender to Active Directory for the enterprise and the offices. Until then, Linux is a playtoy with rotating cubes and a big iron OS for likes of Google, IBM, and Oracle.

Comment

That Mr. Shuttleworth who you are so bitterly complaining about has brought Linux to more people's computers than all the other distros combined (except Android if you want to call that a Linux distro). So he must be doing something right. If people's lives would only revolve around 3D accelerated graphics, then you might have had a point.

Unity might not be after everyone's taste, but neither is Gnome 3, KDE 4, Aqua, or Metro. It is not that Ubuntu prevents you from switching to other desktop environments. Don't like Metro? Suck it up. Don't like Unity? Install another desktop from this rich selection provided in the package manager.

Also don't forget that Ubuntu even displays nag screens to make users install proprietary drivers, in order to get them away from the "alpha grade software made with toothpicks".

Comment

Working...
                      X