• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Ubuntu Switches Back To GRUB2 For SecureBoot

Ubuntu Switches Back To GRUB2 For SecureBoot

Phoronix: Ubuntu Switches Back To GRUB2 For SecureBoot

Canonical has reversed their stance on the boot-loader to use for Ubuntu Linux when dealing with UEFI SecureBoot...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE5MDI

• Jam66es
    replied
    That installed GRUB2 and made a mess, but I didn't have time to look into it yet.

Leave a comment:

• steveriley
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    It does not matter which id the fat efi partition has, certainly you could use ef with mbr or add the bootflag with gparted but it really does not matter as soon as you use efibootmgr.
    Good to know.

Also the normal alignment is now 1M, which is default for gparted now, no need to do that manually
    True...but knowing there's a few KB wasted space would bug me no end. I can be messy about lots of things, but partition alignment and disk space utilization is not one of those things

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    It does not matter which id the fat efi partition has, certainly you could use ef with mbr or add the bootflag with gparted but it really does not matter as soon as you use efibootmgr. Also the normal alignment is now 1M, which is default for gparted now, no need to do that manually... Btw. the interesting thing is that you can use efi direct boot even with intel raid (via mdadm not dmraid as that has got no gpt support), i did a win uefi install first and then linux, i could boot like that:
    Code:
    efibootmgr -c -d /dev/md126 -p 1 -l '\EFI\KANOTIX\linux.efi' -L 'Kanotix 64 Pure' -u 'initrd=EFI\KANOTIX\initrd.img root=/dev/md126p4 quiet'
    Note that win8 will use the 2nd partition for efi boot code.

Leave a comment:

• steveriley
    replied
    Btw. do you know
    Code:
    efibootmgr -v
    Oh yeah. Really, that should be the default display mode

I've been playing around with this stuff for some time now. I certainly don't claim to know everything (yet), but it's been fun. If you're curious, here are a couple more posts where I chronicle my experiences.

* How I (sort of) conquered UEFI
    * My UEFI fright: did I bork my X1?

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Btw. do you know
    Code:
    efibootmgr -v

Leave a comment:

• steveriley
    replied
    Btw. this is very important: if you want to delete boot options, then remove ONLY those which are not created by the UEFI setup itself. This can kill some systems, a bit critical for laptops as you have to flash the chip again.
    Heh...I actually made this mistake a few months ago. Accidentally deleted NVRAM variable Boot0004 (Intel Management Engine) from my Thinkpad T520. Fortunately I have Thinkpad X1 with the same UEFI, so I used the EFI shell to dump Boot0004 from the X1 to a file on a USB drive, and then loaded the variable from the file back into the NVRAM on the T520. Worked perfectly.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Well some things to add. Basically you would not need the .efi suffix when you use efibootmgr, you only need it when you use the efi shell. I hope that many Asus users will try adding a 2nd boot entry as latest uefi updates broke this. It is impossible to add more than 1 entry with the same -l option because only the latest one survives a reboot. Asus responded that Linux was not an offically supported system. If you happen to be an Asus user with that error just change the filename for the -l option a little bit - as it is fat you can swap upper/lowercase on any char - at least 1 char must be different. The extra options at the end or the label do not matter for this stupid uefi bug. Most likely it was done because Win is always detected and when you reinstall Win you would get double entries with this UEFI in the menu - others can do more, there you require a new efi shell or just linux Btw. this is very important: if you want to delete boot options, then remove ONLY those which are not created by the UEFI setup itself. This can kill some systems, a bit critical for laptops as you have to flash the chip again. Desktop board can be fixed more easyly by swapping the chip - some new Asus boards (series 7) happen to have even a new usb recovery flash way that works even without cpu - good idea because the system would not even POST in a worst case anyway...

Leave a comment:

• steveriley
    replied
    For those interested, I've posted the results of my experiment in a thread at Kubuntu Forums. I've discovered a couple interesting quirks along the way. Fun stuff, though.

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...less-with-UEFI

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Incorrect, when you use an initrd with udev that does NOT create those links it does not work. Without it works, you can use Debian wheezy to verify. If your udev creates those links it does no matter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X