Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Vivaldi Tablet Struggling, Now New Design

Phoronix: KDE Vivaldi Tablet Struggling, Now New Design

While some were fond of the KDE Vivaldi Tablet to begin with (formerly the Spark Tablet), it seems the Linux hardware tablet project is struggling...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It isn't clear from the Phoronix article, but if you actually read the blog post the trouble is not with Plasma Active, it is with OEMs not providing source code and thus violating the GPL. it seems the Plasma Active devs refuse to ship on a non-open platform, which apparently makes things a bit difficult.

Comment

As far as I can tell, there are 2 "open tablets", the Vivaldi and the zaReason Tablet. Beyond that, I don't know a heck of a lot about either. One of these days I would like a tablet however, and I would like it to be MINE, not paying my money for someone else to effectively pwn it.

Does anyone else know more?

Comment

They should REALLY talk to the people of rhombus-tech. They are working closely with OEM's. Actually, they have been trying really hard to talk to OEM's about GPL etc.

Comment

A tablet with KDE on it?
          Here's the first thing you would have to do if you ever ended up with one in your hands.... erase that KDE off it.

It would be less painful to bash your head against the pavement than to struggle around with a tablet running KDE. BAD idea.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            A tablet with KDE on it?
            Plasma Active

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              A tablet with KDE on it?
              Here's the first thing you would have to do if you ever ended up with one in your hands.... erase that KDE off it.

It would be less painful to bash your head against the pavement than to struggle around with a tablet running KDE. BAD idea.
              trolling??

besides is not KDE SC for deskop but plasma active[much lighter] for mobile devices

Comment

So what did happen to the Vivaldi tablet? Seems like the hardware manufacturer didn't play fair and they ended up not shipping anything due to various differences. Is that correct? The post isn't really clear about that, and there's nothing about it to be seen on the Vivaldi website.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                  So what did happen to the Vivaldi tablet? Seems like the hardware manufacturer didn't play fair and they ended up not shipping anything due to various differences. Is that correct? The post isn't really clear about that, and there's nothing about it to be seen on the Vivaldi website.
                  Read the linked blog post here it is again if you can't be bothered to go back to the article http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2012/09/a...n-vivaldi.html .

Essentially the manufacturer involved was violating the GPL, so they were pressing this issue with said manufacturer. The manufacturer relented eventually but then decided to try to force different hardware on them and then renegaded on the deal entirely. However a company has now Approached them and as part of their pitch was telling them they were GPL compliant and so that's what they're going to go with though the company is remaining unamed for the time being.

^ This by the way is more or less what the article should have essentially said. Dress it up a bit sure, but the negative spin was uncalled for. It's far more correct to say they were struggling but now there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    Read the linked blog post here it is again if you can't be bothered to go back to the article http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2012/09/a...n-vivaldi.html .
                    I read it, of course, but this article just presents some very vague information without any context.

Comment

Working...
                    X