Enlightenment E17 Improves Drag-n-Drop Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    They are probably trolling. They cant be that stupid.
    I should add that I'm an E17 user for many years, and also compile it from scratch, by hand, from SVN. When I say "by hand", I mean resolving library dependencies, generating the makefile, doing a make, fixing any compilation issues, and finishing off with the old make install. This is done for about a dozen different EFL components, as well as the window manager and various E utilities.

I love the E17 system and how configurable it is. I can also laugh at some of the basic functionality it still introduces after all these years. It's pretty amusing, after all. I still wouldn't use any other window manager. Suits me to a tee.

Mind you, I'm not much of a DnD type user myself. I've even turned off the EFM module on my system. Much prefer the command line for file manipulation and option setting.

I hope it will be mature enough once its released in order to replace gnome. Apart from the bug fixing it needs some integration work and a few apps here and there but that will come once people start using it i believe.
    I wouldn't really describe E17 as a replacement for Gnome. They both have their place, and they both suit different types of users. E17 applications are loosely integrated, and will likely always be. It's not designed for a tight user experience. It is designed to be damn near tweakable to the umteenth level. It's certainly usable, and the distro releases are quite bug free, so there's no reason not to jump in now and try it out. You can even run the Gnome session manager and Gnome panel on top of it, if you want that familiar feel.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeK View Post
      I should add that I'm an E17 user for many years, and also compile it from scratch, by hand, from SVN. When I say "by hand", I mean resolving library dependencies, generating the makefile, doing a make, fixing any compilation issues, and finishing off with the old make install. This is done for about a dozen different EFL components, as well as the window manager and various E utilities.

I love the E17 system and how configurable it is. I can also laugh at some of the basic functionality it still introduces after all these years. It's pretty amusing, after all. I still wouldn't use any other window manager. Suits me to a tee.

Mind you, I'm not much of a DnD type user myself. I've even turned off the EFM module on my system. Much prefer the command line for file manipulation and option setting.
      While i don't use E17 as my main DE i play with it from time to time since i started using linux -and now i have a VM with it-. I seem to recal that DnD is working for quite some time. Anyway the article clearly mentioned improvements and not something that was implemented now.
      EFM i think recently started getting up on par with other file managers and they are still working on it.

Originally posted by DeeK View Post
      I wouldn't really describe E17 as a replacement for Gnome. They both have their place, and they both suit different types of users. E17 applications are loosely integrated, and will likely always be. It's not designed for a tight user experience. It is designed to be damn near tweakable to the umteenth level. It's certainly usable, and the distro releases are quite bug free, so there's no reason not to jump in now and try it out. You can even run the Gnome session manager and Gnome panel on top of it, if you want that familiar feel.
      And that is what they should fix. E17 needs a desktop manager (they resurrected entrance) and maybe other apps (text editor, music player) in order for it to be a complete DE. And maybe a theme for GTK and Qt apps so they can imitate its visuals. I know they have manpower problems and that apps will be added after a while but this should be in their future plans. Integration and consistent look is IMO important.

Anyway i have high hopes for E. I think i ll reach my desktop target of Linux>Wayland>E17 in a few months or so.

Comment

While i don't use E17 as my main DE i play with it from time to time since i started using linux -and now i have a VM with it-. I seem to recal that DnD is working for quite some time. Anyway the article clearly mentioned improvements and not something that was implemented now.
        EFM i think recently started getting up on par with other file managers and they are still working on it.
        Sure, and notice that I said "working DnD". I guess it was vague, but it was meant to be interpreted as "more complete and usable". I realise EFM has already had DnD for copying/moving files, etc

And that is what they should fix. E17 needs a desktop manager (they resurrected entrance) and maybe other apps (text editor, music player) in order for it to be a complete DE. And maybe a theme for GTK and Qt apps so they can imitate its visuals. I know they have manpower problems and that apps will be added after a while but this should be in their future plans. Integration and consistent look is IMO important.

Anyway i have high hopes for E. I think i ll reach my desktop target of Linux>Wayland>E17 in a few months or so.
        While I don't use it myself, have a look at "Enjoy" (http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Enjoy). I think it'll suit your music player requirements.
        Text editor? You mean vim or emacs isn't good enough for you?! Blasphemy!
        I don't use a DM, but isn't Entrance working? It's in the Proto section of the SVN tree, but it has had very recent commits.

Good luck with Wayland. I think it'll be a year before it's properly usable. Not that I won't try it out beforehand, out of pure curiosity.

Comment

Working...
        X