Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Unity Proves Very Slow To KDE, GNOME, Xfce, LXDE

Phoronix: Ubuntu Unity Proves Very Slow To KDE, GNOME, Xfce, LXDE

Earlier this week when benchmarking the latest Unity and Compiz packages for Ubuntu 12.10, I mentioned a new OpenGL desktop comparison was forthcoming. Those results from the Ubuntu 12.10 development snapshot are now available with the default Unity desktop being compared to KDE, GNOME, Xfce, and LXDE. In no test did the Unity desktop yield the fastest performance with nearly every time the default Ubuntu desktop being left in last place for performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess that suspention of KDE doesn't work with a dual-monitor setup?

Comment

Good cause in some technical parts Unity is bad (it copies existing Apis and just rename them like with Unity.MediaPlayer and Mpris) just look at Unity APIs and for the most parts you'll find an equivalent at freedesktop.org.

Comment

Thank you Michael for this benchmark, looks like it's time to move to the Xubuntu/Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by M1AU View Post
          I guess that suspention of KDE doesn't work with a dual-monitor setup?
          KDE works flawless with Dual-Monitor: my System http://www.sysprofile.de/id123113.

Comment

Why?

Why are some faster and slower than others?

Comment

I'm curious about the effect of "Undirect fullscreen windows" option for compiz, I think it would be interesting to see its effect(and possibly a couple more options that could improve performance, basically disable "Sync to Vblank" and "Detect framerate", also inserting the appropriate value for the framerate on the same page).
              I know that the tests performed here were mostly meant to test default configurations, but I'd be interested to see this tested as well. I've noticed that this option can cause some bugginess .. So is it worth it?

And so .. Was anyone saying KDE is heavy and slow and that XFCE is better for performance/gaming etc?

Edit: Should have also said .. Thanks for the benchmarks, it's good to have those comparisons.
              (Although I'm also curious if different hardware[graphics card] causes significant changes)

Comment

Maybe, Canonical should think about using kWin instead of Compiz.

So, according to these tests, previous results from other tests would be much better if you were using kWin??

Comment

Seems like the answer is obvious. Copy what KDE did. KDE with effects on is nearly identical in performance to Unity without fullscreen mode on, but it performs on the level of uncompositied desktops when using full screen mode.

Unity should just implement what the KDE group did. Seems to work.

Comment

Wasn't L4D2 faster on Ubuntu than on Windows?
                    Didn't that Ubuntu use Unity? [http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux.../#comment-4328]

Just imagine a "KDE SC 4.9 - Suspended" ? so much more frames per second ?

Comment

Working...
                    X