X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    But Michael puts fire into this discussion, because he says something about how unity is slower and that the alternative is xfce or something... whats wrong about gnome-shell as THE alternative. I mean performace-fetishists will maybe use that or better openbox or something like that. But the normal ubuntu-user will most likely use gnome-shell if unity is not good, but most likely he just uses unity because its default... so the first alternative would be gnome-shell not xfce, xfce is not that featurecomplete than a gnome-shell, if it where most people would used xfce in the time where gnome2 was out... that was not the case...

Its not bad, but its not the nr1 alternative.

I would rather use cinemon before I consider xfce.
    Look, I am not part of the Gnome Shell bashing crowd, but your analysis here seems to be clouded by your own judgements rather than any objective reality. Considering that at the moment there is no separate Gnome Shell flavour of Ubuntu (that will change, but still...) I find it highly unlikely that most Ubuntu's user first choice after ditching Unity would be Gnome Shell. Both Xubuntu and Lubuntu are probably used far more frequently than people manually grabbing Gnome Shell packages.

And I debate the line that Xfce is less feature complete than Gnome Shell. Both have features targeting different areas - Thunar and xfdesktop are probably the largest sore spots for Xfce when it comes to feature completeness, but it does have an excellent power manager, a more stable and easily configurable panel than Gnome 2 did, a very configurable display compositor, and a superior settings layout. Gnome wins when it comes to the variety of default applications, superior user settings, and in some ways when it comes to out of the box appeal. But to sideline Xfce as you did there is unfair.
    Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 05 September 2012, 07:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ninez
    replied
    Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Is there another upstream Compiz other than the one you moved to Launchpad? Last time I checked, and Wikipedia confirms, everything on compiz.org is dead.
    what does that have to do with Sam's comment on the regression in Unity, exactly?

You do realize that Unity and Compiz are not the same thing, right? (and that the code he is referring to is code likely in Unity.)

you do also realize that the compiz that ships (or is updated into Ubuntu/Unity) doesn't always correspond to upstream compiz development, right?

anyway, your comment is pretty daft, if you ask me (it doesn't even make sense).

Originally posted by ultimA View Post
    You are not getting the point. The reason/state/future/amount of performance regression is almost irrelevant here. Those who dislike Unity hate it not because this particular regression, but because they dislike its design, features (or lack thereof) and usability. The performance regression is just the tip of the iceberg, an additional thing to complain about, but it is not the primary reason for Unity's unpopularity. Hence it is more or less also irrelevant what the developer or an analysis says about the performance, 'coz that is simply not the main problem in most people's eyes.
    how is it irrelevant (?) when the article is about just that, a regression in performance... it's essentially the most relevant part of the article. I would say you trying to get into some debate of it's design, features, usability, unpopularity, etc is actually what is pretty much irrelevant to the topic. And as far as Sam's comment - it is VERY relevant being how this article IS about a regression in performance, and it makes sense that he would point out, why the regression is there (apparently not in your mind, though). The reality is - this code hasn't been released yet because it's not ready at this point. Regressions are common in software that is in the middle of development, alpha, beta, etc ...so i think the developer's input is a good thing and very relevant to the discussion at hand. Far more relevant than your comment about this stuff.
    Last edited by ninez; 05 September 2012, 07:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by SmSpillaz View Post
    The regional updates code is currently not active while we figure out how to make it work with changes in upstream compiz.
    Is there another upstream Compiz other than the one you moved to Launchpad? Last time I checked, and Wikipedia confirms, everything on compiz.org is dead.

Leave a comment:

• ultimA
    replied
    Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
    Exactly. People on this site love to bitch. They all think they know whats best and didn't even notice the main developer of compiz putting the ONLY reliable analysis of the regression on the entire site here in the forum. I wish these idiots would put thier code where thier fat parent's basement living asses are and help with the code, instead of complain. Since you'll act like such "experts" all the time.

Also, your doing a great job SmSpillaz! Ignore these idiots, they aren't worth the oxygen they consume.
    You are not getting the point. The reason/state/future/amount of performance regression is almost irrelevant here. Those who dislike Unity hate it not because this particular regression, but because they dislike its design, features (or lack thereof) and usability. The performance regression is just the tip of the iceberg, an additional thing to complain about, but it is not the primary reason for Unity's unpopularity. Hence it is more or less also irrelevant what the developer or an analysis says about the performance, 'coz that is simply not the main problem in most people's eyes.

On a side note, yes people love to complain, but that is not specific to this forum. Dissatisfied people are always more likely to give voice to their oppinion than satisfied people. That is pretty normal, and probably alright, 'coz if a lot of people are "bitching", then something's probably wrong.

Leave a comment:

• mitcoes
    replied
    I like to prove it all and I had to switch to XFCE

After Ubuntu switched to Unity I tested Mint with Mate, and Cinnamon, even Gnome3 and Chakra an excellent KDE distro, but Sabayon XFCE and Xubuntu are my PRACTICAL choices.

I have an AMD X3 at 3.2 Ghz and a integrated AMD 4250 HD, a cheap and old computer. Unity, Unity 2d and Gnome3 are very slow even KDE, XFCE, as Debian has recently choose as default desktop is the PRACTICAL CHOICE for old and "slow" computers.

Perhaps the future Solus OS 2 with its new gnome 3 with Gnome 2 aspect and config options will be a good option, but since Unity and Gnome 3 arrived I have to tell people with old computers to install Xubuntu because Ubuntu is no longer as faster as was with Gnome 2 vs MS WOS

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    It is really funny that intel onboard systems are used for gaming benchmarks. Of course hd 4000 is (at least on win) capable of running every game which would run on a budge nvidia/amd card as well but who really uses that as gamer? Compiz may not improve speed, nor do kde4 effects but the raw speed is what counts first. Single player games are often fine when 30 fps are always possible, multiplayer games run smoother with 60 fps. Newer engines are restricted to 60 fps when not running in benchmark m ode anyway. Also it is very unlikely that you get 45 fps with vsync enabled - most likely you get 30 fps then - well depends on the driver. On win there is a "smart" mode now which disables vsync when the framerate is too slow. As pts most likely sets vblank_mode=0 and the default user does not the experience will be completely different.

Leave a comment:

• dh04000
    replied
    Originally posted by bartek View Post
    Some people use every opportunity they can get to yell at Unity or Canonical.
    Michael post these test results to see how Unity evolves over time in alfa and beta quality.

Strange that nobody seems to care what a lead Comipiz developer has to say about the regressions ...

Please judge Unity 6 when the final release arrives in October
    Exactly. People on this site love to bitch. They all think they know whats best and didn't even notice the main developer of compiz putting the ONLY reliable analysis of the regression on the entire site here in the forum. I wish these idiots would put thier code where thier fat parent's basement living asses are and help with the code, instead of complain. Since you'll act like such "experts" all the time.

Also, your doing a great job SmSpillaz! Ignore these idiots, they aren't worth the oxygen they consume.

Leave a comment:

• drago01
    replied
    Originally posted by bartek View Post

Strange that nobody seems to care what a lead Comipiz developer has to say about the regressions ... D
    That does not help GL apps as they do damage the whole window, so unrelated to the benchmarks. (They should improve overall performance in non gaming scenarios though).

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
    The problem is, that KWin needs all kinds of KDE dependencies (As far as I know) and since Unity is GTK based that will give A LOT of unneeded dependencies.
    See my earlier comment Redi, there was a post on Martin's blog about how with QT 5 and KDE 5, Kwin SHOULD be able to run as a window manager for any system that only has QT installed. So no KDE dependencies needed unless you (presumably) want some fancier stuff with it that IS kde-specific

Leave a comment:

• Pallidus
    replied
    unity's biggest sin is it's aesthetics

Canonical must have a blind UI designer

" Derpaderp oh I know 2 colors that would go well together, ugly dark grey and ugly dark orange... oh and let me put that vomit inducing orange everywhere: scroll bars, folders, close window button... can not ever have too much orange that's what I always say"

Gnome 3.4 3.6 looks and works a million times better than unity, but I guess they had to fork it and then rape it, all for what? a fkin dock? really? is a dock that doesn't even auto-hide decently that important?

You go to gnome-look.org or pick any gnome theme at random and it will look 32929323 times better than unity

I won't even talk about elementary luna and how they managed a hell fast, snappy and responsive desktop that works wonderfully and looks better than a million euros.

go back to gnome you eeeeeeeddddddeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooootttttttttsssssss s

Leave a comment:

Working...
X