Digia Buys Out Qt From Nokia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
    In my point of view Digia Buys Out Qt From Nokia only because they are necrolovers.
    Qt is death they do have ZERO relevance in the desktop market and ZERO relevance in the mobile market.
    Mobile is the world of iOS and Andorid and both do not use Qt and the Desktop is the world of Windows,Macos,Ubuntu and not a single one of these popular OS systems use Qt.

Sorry but the truth is Nokia only sell it because Qt do not have any worth or relevance.
    Congratulations for actually registering to the Phoronix forums to say that.

Either you're trolling or have been very misinformed, my friend.

Comment

In my point of view Digia Buys Out Qt From Nokia only because they are necrolovers.
      Qt is death they do have ZERO relevance in the desktop market and ZERO relevance in the mobile market.
      Mobile is the world of iOS and Andorid and both do not use Qt and the Desktop is the world of Windows,Macos,Ubuntu and not a single one of these popular OS systems use Qt.

Sorry but the truth is Nokia only sell it because Qt do not have any worth or relevance.
      Yeah, its not like one of the most popular linux desktop environments uses qt extensively, as does various popular software (such as vlc player), how about you get over yourself and stop spreading fud?

Comment

Please read the Wikipedia article for more examples of software that use Qt.

Comment

Stop trolling. What do you mean Windows, MacOS and Ubuntu do not use Qt? Qt has been on these systems for years!
          Qt is the main toolkit for Blackberry OS 10, there is an Android port and they are porting to iOS.
          Besides this does not matter, most Qt money comes from licenses used in industrial settings and embedded systems. Most Qt apps aren't for the consumer.

You are an absolute idiot if you think Qt has zero relevance. It has the backing of Google, Samsung, RIM, ICS, Intel, Panasonic, KDE, Philips, Sony, European Space agency, VLC media player, HP, Dreamworks, Siemens, Volvo, Lucasfilm, Autodesk, Wolfram and The Foundry.

If you are saying Qt has no relevance because pretty much no mainstream OS uses it as the _primary_ toolkit for development you are wrong. Qt hasn't had this for 20 years, it isn't going to die because of it now. Java hasn't had this except for android, (which is recent). It has done fine for years.

Stop trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
            It has the backing of Google, Samsung, RIM, ICS, Intel, Panasonic, KDE, Philips, Sony, European Space agency, VLC media player, HP, Dreamworks, Siemens, Volvo, Lucasfilm, Autodesk, Wolfram and The Foundry.
            Steam.

Valve is not known for making compromises.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
              Congratulations for actually registering to the Phoronix forums to say that.
              Either you're trolling or have been very misinformed, my friend.
              And so one and so one nerd-life is pissed if someone shows him the reality and the reality shows clear that Qt do not have any relevance on any market-share in the business.
              The mainstream is were the big money goes and Qt do not have any place in the mainstream. Just compare the market-share of Ubuntu (unity) to Kubuntu (Qt) o well nerd paradise do not like to compare the relevancy with real numbers they prefer to calculate with dream numbers instead.

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
              Yeah, its not like one of the most popular linux desktop environments uses qt extensively, as does various popular software (such as vlc player), how about you get over yourself and stop spreading fud?
              Well how do you measure the "most-popular" ? DistroWatch.com? LOL only nerds use that website real man calculate in euro or dollar turnover and profit. And no Linux desktop distro with QT technique make any turnover or profit. And your popular software "VLC" worth nothing because the people don't spend any money on it and again the lie is revealed just by the turnover and profit numbers. Thy to fool another one not me. Show me any Qt relevance turnover and profit numbers.

Out of business is the second name of Qt. Inside of the business they do not have any place.

Comment

And so one and so one nerd-life is pissed if someone shows him the reality and the reality shows clear that Qt do not have any relevance on any market-share in the business.
                The mainstream is were the big money goes and Qt do not have any place in the mainstream. Just compare the market-share of Ubuntu (unity) to Kubuntu (Qt) o well nerd paradise do not like to compare the relevancy with real numbers they prefer to calculate with dream numbers instead.

Well how do you measure the "most-popular" ? DistroWatch.com? LOL only nerds use that website real man calculate in euro or dollar turnover and profit. And no Linux desktop distro with QT technique make any turnover or profit. And your popular software "VLC" worth nothing because the people don't spend any money on it and again the lie is revealed just by the turnover and profit numbers. Thy to fool another one not me. Show me any Qt relevance turnover and profit numbers.

Out of business is the second name of Qt. Inside of the business they do not have any place.
                You are calling _other_ people nerds when you register on a Linux news site so you can express your unfound hatred of a programming toolkit? That is a new level of hypocrisy.

"Show me ny Qt relevance turnover and profit numbers."
                Nice how a troll ignores all the other posts lol.

Profit numbers? They can afford ~200 employees and in 2006 their net profit was around ~1million USD. Not bad when your only revenue source was selling free software under a different license. There are 2 companies I know of, ICS (ics.com) and kdab who make _all_ of their money from Qt.
                As for relevance? First there are plenty of Qt deployments on Desktop and mobile. Even if there weren't it doesn't matter. You realize most development work is in custom software and behind the scens stuff? The vast majority of paid Qt deployments are not in the consumer market. They're in big companies who need powerful, fast, native, cross platform software.

I will repeat,
                Companies/Organizations using Qt:
                -VLC
                -KDE
                -RIM
                -ICS
                -KDAB
                -European Space Agency
                -Google
                -Walt Disney
                -Dreamworks
                -Lucasfilm
                -HP
                -Philips
                -Panasonic
                -Samsung
                -Seimens
                -Sony
                -Intel
                -Volvo
                -Wolfram
                -The Foundry
                -Autodesk

Doesn't look irrelevant to me.

Comment

behind the scens stuff?
                  These must be the code words for no source and no prove and no relevance.
                  But well nice there is magic and there is special but you can not show it to me because I'm a outside stranger and only insider true nerds know the truth.

Profit numbers? They can afford ~200 employees and in 2006 their net profit was around ~1million USD.
                  ~?~ Be sure company's like Google spend more money on Toilet paper.
                  Anyway ~?~ other company know there numbers and don't need ~?~ numbers to fake there business.

You are calling _other_ people nerds when you register on a Linux news site so you can express your unfound hatred of a programming toolkit? That is a new level of hypocrisy.
                  True nerds found hypocrisy were freedom of speech is. What next threats to my life?

Nice how a troll ignores all the other posts lol.
                  Maybe a mistake to not ignore your reaction but you will claim your offense shit on me anyway. What next troll ? call 911?

Not bad when your only revenue source was selling free software under a different license.
                  What a useless business model. Really no one care if they are gone forever.

There are 2 companies I know of, ICS (ics.com) and kdab who make _all_ of their money from Qt.
                  I don't expect an answer but tell me, who id fooled by this company's?
                  Were is the market-force to spend money on these company's?

The vast majority of paid Qt deployments are not in the consumer market.
                  Sure they do not have any consumers. What a irony a technique without the need of any consumer.

They're in big companies who need powerful, fast, native, cross platform software.
                  To big to fail right? What next after bank-Bail-out a big-company-powerful-fast-native-cross-platform-software Bail-out?
                  Maybe the banksters fear the Qt-sters and Bail them out to lower the Food Stamp need of Nerds?

I will repeat,
                  Companies/Organizations using Qt:
                  -VLC
                  -KDE
                  Zero turnover and profit.

-RIM
                  -HP
                  -Sony
                  These company's do not have any future and they are close to bankruptcy.
                  Wait 1 year and RIM will not exist any-longer.
                  HP's numbers are also worst and Sony's failure is a epic earthquake in the near future.

-ICS
                  -KDAB
                  -European Space Agency
                  -Google
                  -Walt Disney
                  -Dreamworks
                  -Lucasfilm
                  -Philips
                  -Panasonic
                  -Samsung
                  -Seimens
                  -Intel
                  -Volvo
                  -Wolfram
                  -The Foundry
                  -Autodesk
                  Doesn't look irrelevant to me.
                  Now show me the turnover and profit of these company's attached to Qt.
                  And don't fool me again with naming big company's name without any prove for your claim.

Comment

God your an Idiot. Plus, your english is very bad.
                    These must be the code words for no source and no prove and no relevance.
                    But well nice there is magic and there is special but you can not show it to me because I'm a outside stranger and only insider true nerds know the truth.
                    You are dumb. Behind the scenes stuff is referring to embedded systems you do not interact with. Qt is common in technical applications in industries like aviation and automotive. Average desktop users do not use technical applications.

~?~ Be sure company's like Google spend more money on Toilet paper.
                    Anyway ~?~ other company know there numbers and don't need ~?~ numbers to fake there business.
                    What the hell is a ~?~ symbol?

SO because they are only making a few million and only a few hundred people it is nothing? LOL, there is only one Google in the world, just because something isn't as big as Google doesn't make it tiny.
                    First you ask numbers for proof, then I give you public record and published numbers and call them fake? Troll.

True nerds found hypocrisy were freedom of speech is. What next threats to my life?
                    How dumb are you? Do you even know what a "nerd" is? You are calling other people nerds when you are doing something "nerdy" and on a "nerd" website. Contradicting yourself, that is hypocrisy. You're english is really bad, or you are stupid if you think this involves freedom of speech or death threats.

What a useless business model. Really no one care if they are gone forever.
                    What? Selling support and free (as in source code) software under differnt license is a very common model. Red Hat has made 1 billion in revenues and over 5000 employees with this model. There are many, many companies using this model. Qt has been supported for 20 years by this model! Oh and tell the ~450000 developers using Qt to not care.

Sure they do not have any consumers. What a irony a technique without the need of any consumer.
                    Your english is bad. You have mistaken the word "consumer" for "customer". "Consumer" in this sense refers to the average person on the street. Average person are nt knowledge able about computers and only pay for "Consumer" software. Software like MS office, video games, Antivirus, Video/photo software, ect. Qt is not for these people. Qt sells licenses for software engineer and companies. Most of Qt software are technical applications. An example of one of the few technical applications that an average user like you can use is Wolfram Mathematica. This is a very powerful application done using Qt, and is targeted at engineers and scientists, like many Qt applications. Mathematica costs $295 for the Home Edition. I think that is the cheapest one. Here is a link to the page: http://www.wolfram.com/mathematica/
                    Home Edition: http://www.wolfram.com/mathematica/h.../hobbyist.html

To big to fail right? What next after bank-Bail-out a big-company-powerful-fast-native-cross-platform-software Bail-out?
                    Maybe the banksters fear the Qt-sters and Bail them out to lower the Food Stamp need of Nerds?
                    They are not too big to fail. They are too succesful to fail!

Zero turnover and profit.
                    Qt does not make money from paid software. The software using it can be free of charge or cost thousands and Qt makes the same money. Qt makes money from, support, consulting, pre made widgets, and most important: commercial license. Qt is normally free under LGPL, but if you want to do something the LGPL will not let you, you need to pay several thousands of dollars for a license, and as far as I know this is per developer. Thousands per developer. And people pay for this. Lots of people pay.
                    Also VLC has been downloaded 1billion times, and KDE is used by a few million people. KDE is 2nd largest open source project in the world! I am showing you relevance with KDE and VLC.

These company's do not have any future and they are close to bankruptcy.
                    Wait 1 year and RIM will not exist any-longer.
                    HP's numbers are also worst and Sony's failure is a epic earthquake in the near future.
                    HP will not die, they will get weak. They are only going down in their PC business. They have a lot of other business and products besides PCs. Such as their servers and HP-UX. It is these products that use Qt!
                    RIM can still survive if they do it right. They will have small market but they are still selling millions. They will shrink and continue, but they will still be around. They also have QNX operating system as well which is widely deployed in over 200 cars as well as other embedded systems. QNX can run Qt too.
                    Sony failing? Really? I hear the company is doing fine in terms of profits and money. Their customer service and products are bad, but not finances.

I don't expect an answer but tell me, who id fooled by this company's?
                    Were is the market-force to spend money on these company's?
                    These companies have been around for years and I can tell you KDAB has been expanding recently and ICS has been around since before Qt. First they did a lot of work with the Motif toolkit, but not so much anymore. It is mainly Qt now. Motif is only ever used in big Unix systems like AIX and HP-UX. Motif is an old tollkit that has not been updated in many many years. Only updates are via community open motif, which I think is reverse engineered.
                    ICS has been doing Qt business for years and they are sustainable.

Now show me the turnover and profit of these company's attached to Qt.
                    And don't fool me again with naming big company's name without any prove for your claim.
                    Do you really think companies list every penny ever moved through them and release it to the public? Thats like if store says they have sold $5000 dollars worth of bread and you call them a liar and ask for every receipt!

Comment

Oh well, I guess I bit...

@necro-lover:
                      Since you're trolling so hard, I'll bite hard.
                      (Full disclosure: I use very little Qt software myself...but then, I prefer GTK1 and Motif :-/)
                      Google:
                      Uses Qt for Google Earth, and I'm pretty sure there's more stuff than that.
                      Google Earth has been downloaded well over a billion times.
                      You should know that they're rather large...

ICS:
                      Originally posted by http://www.ics.com/company/about
                      ICS products are distributed worldwide throughout the US, Europe, and Asia.
                      ICS's client list is primarily made up of Fortune 500 companies.
                      ICS's current product offerings include development tools, training courses, and consulting services.
                      ICS has a customer base of more than 10,000.
                      Primarily Qt, but also a little business in Motif.
                      Intel:
                      You know that they're large. (Unless you just crawled out from a basement you'd been living in for the past 30 years, but I assume that's not the case).
                      Qt isn't essential to their core business, but see http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/tags/qt and remember that Meego and Tizen are both Qt-based...
                      Autodesk:
                      Maya is based on Qt.
                      If you don't know what Maya is or how widespread it is, please don't bother posting until you've read up.
                      Similarly for the company.

I'm not going to bother researching every single company (I know that at least a dozen of the others are similarly large), but before you post again, read http://qt.nokia.com/qt-in-use -- not doing so will make it look like you
                      a) have no interest in being correct or doing basic fact checking
                      b) are incapable of following a link and reading it, let alone forming a judgement of how important technology is,
                      AND/OR
                      c) are too convinced of your position to consider looking at evidence to the contrary.

Meanwhile, I have yet to see one example or bit of evidence from you. That's a lot of presumption from you. Also, in logic, we call this: misplacing the burden of proof.

Comment

Working...
                      X