Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 3.6 Open-Source Office Suite Released

Phoronix: LibreOffice 3.6 Open-Source Office Suite Released

LibreOffice 3.6 was released today, which is described by the project as "the fourth major release of the best free office suite ever."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I used to use open office at home on ubuntu whilst having to use MS office at College. But it's compatibility with MS office's documents was very bad. I'd spend a lot of time re-designing, a presentation for example, then exporting it to PDF format and from there on out edit the documents when I was back at home. If I were to open it up in MS office at College after doing so in open office it would cause everything to be completely muddled again. Before exporting it into PDF format (leaving it in open office format) the lecturer would sometimes notify me of it's contents being all over the place.

I'd used Google documents to store my work on but never used it's editing document ability's. One day after another document was completely muddled I thought to try Google documents. It worked with them flawlessly. While MS office is the standard I'll have to continue to do so.
    Last edited by Spectre; 08 August 2012, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Well, the later MS Office versions support ODT documents. Or claim to (I never really got that to work, although it was probably on MS Office 2007, and not a more recent edition).

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
        I used to use open office at home on ubuntu whilst having to use MS office at College. But it's compatibility with MS office's documents was very bad. I'd spend a lot of time re-designing, a presentation for example, then exporting it to PDF format and from there on out edit the documents when I was back at home. If I were to open it up in MS office at College after doing so in open office it would cause everything to be completely muddled again. Before exporting it into PDF format (leaving it in open office format) the lecturer would sometimes notify me of it's contents being all over the place.

I'd used Google documents to store my work on but never used it's editing document ability's. One day after another document was completely muddled I thought to try Google documents. It worked with them flawlessly. While MS office is the standard I'll have to continue to do so.
        Yeah, it seems like LibreOffice really makes my excel spreadsheets look bad. Not sure why it doesn't do well with formatting. Makes it hard to use as a daily driver at home when my work uses only MS Office. Still nice to have for personal use though.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre View Post

When Microsoft really a full specification of their formats, other companies will be fully able to provide compatibility with MS Office. You fully know that Microsoft deliberately insures to prevent competition that very interpolarity. MS Office is only standard by hook and by crook.

Comment

Am I the only one who never had a problem with M$ file formats in LO? And we are using quite advanced spreadsheets for reporting some stuff to government...

I never had problem with compatibility between two LO versions BTW...

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyPaw View Post
              Yeah, it seems like LibreOffice really makes my excel spreadsheets look bad. Not sure why it doesn't do well with formatting. Makes it hard to use as a daily driver at home when my work uses only MS Office. Still nice to have for personal use though.
              Yeah, though improvments are made with every release - thanks to submitting bugs with example documents. If you can share an example document and show what looks wrong, it's very important the developers get it because otherwise they can't solve these problems.

Comment

Best free suite ever? Hm. I think IBM's Lotus Sympony does a better job than LibreOffice at everything right now - compatibility with MS documents, looks and extensive document features .

Comment

I can confirm better .docx support in LO 3.6, saved my ass today, and MS OOXML support will further improve with the next releases, because some big German and Swiss cities are now investing a huge amount of money to improve this right now.

Comment

It's amazing that LO can interoperate with OOXML documents at all. Not even Office 2010 supports the real standard fully, since it can only read standards-compliant documents (not that any application actually generates them anyway). I think that Office 2013 is the first suite to actually provide write support for non-transitional OOXML documents.

Comment

Working...
                    X