KDE 4.9 Released With Many Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    So, you don't know yet and you comment? Except it's usable unlike dos and windoze. Amarok and Phonon works great
    Phonon is broken right now. Amarok plays the same track twice. But it's fixed for the next release.

But I switched to Clementine anyway because of all the Phonon issues. Works much better for me. No bugs so far with that one!

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
      Have you checked your options on the last page of login manager settings? There's option for changing that.
      Yes. That option has no effect.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        This is a graphic driver problem. It occurs with Open Source radeon drivers and power profile method. With fglrx it works fine.
        I'm on the NVidia blob.

That's something new.
        Has been there since, hm, 4.6 I think. Definitely over a year.

This works fine and was never broken for me. I recommend to try some not rolling distros sometimes, because they make additional fixes.
        Well, then you're running some mini fork rather than upstream, official KDE. If Kubuntu doesn't have the bugs, it doesn't mean that KDE doesn't either.

Comment

Hi realNC,

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Bugs that are really annoying:
          • Some windows minimize towards the center of the desktop rather than towards the task bar. Qt Creator and tvtime always trigger that bug here.
          This is not true here. I have qtcreator in 4.8.4 and it deffinately minimizes to the taskbar.
          • Icons "jump" around when hovering the mouse over them (Desktop as well as in Dolphin). Doesn't always happen. Whether it happens or not seems to be fixed at login time.
          I have seen that too in past versions (because the highlighted text below the icon was rendered bold i think and lead to rearrangement because of larger texts) But it does not appear to happen in 4.8.4 anymore.

As was already said: probably a driver problem

• Switching keyboard layout ignores the desktop (the desktop will use the last layout of the last application.)
          Again, this does not happen on 4.8.4 for me.

• KMix lacks some mixer sliders offered to me by alsamixer. Namely the "front", "rear", "center", "woofer" and "side" sliders. Only "master" is offered. This is with an Asus Xonar D1 card.
          You know that you can set the visible mixers in the kmix setup, right? Or do you mean they are not shown there?

• KDM stopped remembering the user name of the last logged in user after 4.6.
          Works since 4.5 on my big machine (never forgot the username).

• Admin password prompts are in stealth mode. Practically, you wait for a long time for the button you just clicked to do something, only to discover that this whole time a password prompt was opened that is hidden behind the current window.
          Not sure about this. I can not remember it happening.

I think some of these might be caused by modifications made by your distribution. I use gentoo so I use fairly unpatched KDE. You could give the official packages a try and see if the issues disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by huhn_m View Post
            Again, this does not happen on 4.8.4 for me.
            In your browser, change the keyboard layout. Now minimize the browser and click on the desktop. The layout doesn't revert back. It stays to whatever you set it in the browser (or any other application for that matter.)

You know that you can set the visible mixers in the kmix setup, right? Or do you mean they are not shown there?
            Yes, I know. They're not available at all to be put into the "Visible Channels" list.

Works since 4.5 on my big machine (never forgot the username).
            It was working fine for me in 4.5 too. It broke since 4.6 or 4.7, don't remember exactly.

I think some of these might be caused by modifications made by your distribution. I use gentoo so I use fairly unpatched KDE. You could give the official packages a try and see if the issues disappear.
            I use Gentoo too :-) It's a fully ~amd64 system.
            Last edited by RealNC; 02 August 2012, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Yes, I know. They're not available at all to be put into the "Visible Channels" list.
              Are you using pulseaudio? Are the channels visible in the pulseaudio mixer? kmix uses pulseaudio if it is available. If that is misconfigured then kmix will be, too.

Comment

In your browser, change the keyboard layout. Now minimize the browser and click on the desktop. The layout doesn't revert back. It stays to whatever you set it in the browser (or any other application for that matter.)
                Oh! Ok. This was a misunderstanding then. I thought you ment the layout did only switch for the application and not the desktop, because I use a global switching policy. This way you are right. The desktop keeps the layout from the last application.

It was working fine for me in 4.5 too. It broke since 4.6 or 4.7, don't remember exactly.
                Can you check in /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc wether

#PreselectUser=Previous

is commented out or set to Previous?

I use Gentoo too :-) It's a fully ~amd64 system.
                Ok. Same for me ^^

Comment

Just tested that. This has the exact same issue here. Alt + grabbing and moving in the middle of a window shows the same lag.

I'm using the 302.17 NVidia drivers on a GTX 560Ti, btw.
                  Then bitch at NVidia. They obviously introduced a regression. I'm still on 295.49 and have no such issues.
                  But thanks for the warning. Not upgrading the drivers was an oversight by me but now I'll hold off upgrading the drivers on purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    Fuck KDE! Windows 8 has been RTM'd! Woot woot!!!
                    You surely have to be trolling

Comment

And none of the bugs fixed, probably.
                      At least one bug is fixed... after being in Unconfirmed status for a while, even with 57 duplicates. It finally got fixed on the 61st duplicate bug report.

And new bugs introduced.
                      No arguments there... I've also lost faith in KDE.

Comment

Working...
                      X