X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scaine
    replied
    Originally posted by tanty View Post
    No further comment is needed. The rest of your article is just misleading.
    Misleading how? And I should point out that without Phoronix covering this article, I would never have heard about this talk on the future of Gnome. I don't subscribe to Planet Gnome (http://planet.gnome.org/), but even on visiting the page, GUADEC was mentioned plenty of times, but nothing (obvious) on the future of Gnome. I did find this : http://blogs.gnome.org/otte/2012/07/...nto-the-abyss/ which makes for some depressing reading (particularly the points on Gnome Goals), but probably helps validate some of the comments made here and in the original Phoronix article.

Leave a comment:

• tanty
    replied
    Next time, just attend the actual talk ...

When you start your opinion article with something like:

GUADEC, the annual GNOME European Conference, is happening from 26 July to 1 August in Madrid. On Friday there was a session about the "A bright future for GNOME" where a ton of information was laid out.
    When the Conference is actually happening in A Coru?a, not Madrid, and the session was on Thursday, not on Friday, you already give the level of accuracy of the rest of the information.

Next time, either attend the actuall talk or just watch the recording rather than giving your opinion of the free interpretation of its supporting material (the slides).

No further comment is needed. The rest of your article is just misleading.

Leave a comment:

• 9a3eedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Prince781 View Post
    Unsure if this comment would be antiquated to their current philosophy; yet nontheless if not, I suppose you're all misunderstanding what Gnome OS is, at least, according to Allan Day of the project itself:
    That actually sounds pretty good if you ask me, though in my opinion I think gnome 2 and KDE also pretty much achieved this already, despite a few flaws.. but if they're trying to make it even more complete, then by all means, great idea in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Prince781
    replied
    Unsure if this comment would be antiquated to their current philosophy; yet nontheless if not, I suppose you're all misunderstanding what Gnome OS is, at least, according to Allan Day of the project itself:
    “There’s a lot of confusion around GNOME OS. People assume that it means that GNOME will be launching its own distribution, but that’s not what GNOME OS is about. GNOME OS is about providing a complete, coherent and consistent experience, so that a whole OS can be given that GNOME look and feel.

One example of the work we are doing for that is the new initial setup assistant which is being created for GNOME 3.6. It will always be up to distributions whether they take advantage of these new elements to the GNOME 3 experience, of course. What it means, however, is that GNOME will be offering a more complete package than ever before.”

Leave a comment:

• DMJC
    replied
    Don't have small goals

Okay, let's not have a small goal, let's make the goal, clone Mac OSX 10.6.8 using gnustep, including getting a decent video pipeline on linux that can actually use a dual quad/hex core Xeon and multiple video cards to handle video encode/decode pipelines in 1080p 60fps realtime from multiple sources, and then work to improve applications/toolkits/support for tasks people want to actually do, and UI consistency (make it even more consistent than OSX), rather than focusing on UI distractions that other companies do better (iPads/iPhones/iOS). That's a much more worthy goal rather than constantly chasing the UI Paradigm of the week. Apple is abandoning much of the professional market by focusing on iOS in OSX, there's opportunities there, there's opportunities in the windows 8 integrated store BS too but Linux is positioning itself to be right alongside those failures.

Leave a comment:

• MichaelSerious
    replied
    Originally posted by Anthony View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm replying to this on a tablet running Gnome shell. There are a few issues, the virtual keyboard is not great, but with a bluetooth keyboard for typing it's fine.
    I also run gnome shell on my main desktop, and find it great there. Not going to lie, Alt-Tab is a bit awkward, at first, but once you get used to it, it's a lot tidier.

You laugh at the idea of an OS for a desktop and a tablet, but I think Gnome shell works great for this. When I want to, I can sit on the sofa, and use my tablet like an classic tablet; facebook, films etc. Or othertimes, I can stick it on my desk, connect a mouse and keyboard, and I have a desktop.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, which would be easier or faster in gnome 2, than it is at the moment in gnome shell. There's also quick access to most things, whether you have your mouse or your keyboard in your hand.
    I laugh at the idea of designing an OS for tablet and desktop, just like I laugh at Windows 8.

What I am seeing here from the GNOME developers is that they plan to phase out the overwhelming majority of people that use their software (desktop/laptop) in favor of a tablet OS (with a non existent user base and a bleak chance of ever having one).

I'm glad you shoe horned gnome shell on a tablet and you enjoy it but the direction of gnome is in sorry shape if they plan on driving away the people that use their software in favor of something that doesn't exist. The fact they killed a very functional desktop to get there makes the situation even more sad.

Leave a comment:

• fuzz
    replied
    Yeah people on this forum don't even know how to read manuals.

Leave a comment:

• ninez
    replied
    Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    how ignorant can you all be, I quoted here the quote they made on the slides, there was a slide where some guy was citied who said something about "dont have small goals because nobody gets faszinated by that and even this small goals will than come not true... so to say they want the wolrd leadership or something like that is just a big goal they know that its very unlikely they will reach it.

Are you all inclusively Michael to full of hate against the gnome-devs that you are not willing to notice this slide or my comment about it????????????
    I read your quote but it just wasn't that compelling of an argument, IMO ~ and I use the Gnome 3.x stack, but replace GS with Compiz and generally like Gnome - in terms of the underlying software, aside from Gnome Shell. I did make a comment after yours - which i would sum up as saying; "some gnome developers have delusions of grandeur". It is one thing 'to set the bar very high' (ie: setting lofty goals, but still being happy even if you don't reach every single goal while also being somewhat reachable / attainable - even if not completely) but it's completely another thing when you have ridiculous goals, that aren't even necessarily good goals to have in the first place. - but obviously this is very subjective to begin with, so people will have their own opinions on the matter. Some users in this forum like Gnome and some do not ~ you can't expect everyone to agree with you based on 'one little quote' as your argument that absolves any negative perceptions users may have towards Gnome's direction... that is unrealistic. :\

That being said, you did bring up some good links and numbers to support gnome not being 'irrelevant' as some people may think ~ which i tend to agree with (without even having to look at commits).... the fact is Unity, Cinnamon, etc are all built on top of Gnome 3.x, so obviously Gnome is very relevant. I personally just wish they would focus more on GTK, other supporting libraries and the applications themselves, rather than trying to redefine my desktop.

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    is this gnome-haters.org?
    I don't think i would go that far ...but yes, it would appear Michael isn't a big fan of Gnome.
    Last edited by ninez; 29 July 2012, 01:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Sarmiento
    replied
    i really doubt that these guys are able to compete agains iOS or even android. Epic Fail.

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    how ignorant can you all be, I quoted here the quote they made on the slides, there was a slide where some guy was citied who said something about "dont have small goals because nobody gets faszinated by that and even this small goals will than come not true... so to say they want the wolrd leadership or something like that is just a big goal they know that its very unlikely they will reach it.

Are you all inclusively Michael to full of hate against the gnome-devs that you are not willing to notice this slide or my comment about it????????????

is this gnome-haters.org?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X